• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How Food Wars Lost Its Flavor

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I also dropped this during the Azami arc. I didn't really intend to, but I guess I stopped enjoying it at some point and just kept putting off watching episodes until I felt like I was behind enough to just marathon it later. Of course that never happened. I was thinking about catching up, but then I saw this article. So yeah, not going to bother.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I just see it as it's shifting the focus of its genre into comedy.

Yet, there are chapters that I read thoroughly and those that I just skim quickly. Once Souma reached its final arc, it fell to the latter. I still follow it weekly back then, but only to see if I could get some laugh from how laughable it is.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:40 pm Reply with quote
It hurt to see Shokugeki become a parody of itself, with meme superpowers, haphazard plotting, and illogical and shallow cooking matches.

Honestly not sure if I'll force myself through the last season.
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Food Wars had the same problem as Yakitate Japan, in that it's hard to keep a shonen series, which have to escalate the stakes with every arc, based on cooking interesting. The shonen formula is the make stronger bad guys, which is fine with battle series with superpowers, but in a cooking series where characters are just people, and it just gets ridiculous and stupid.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:17 pm Reply with quote
PseudoFiction wrote:
Food Wars had the same problem as Yakitate Japan, in that it's hard to keep a shonen series, which have to escalate the stakes with every arc, based on cooking interesting. The shonen formula is the make stronger bad guys, which is fine with battle series with superpowers, but in a cooking series where characters are just people, and it just gets ridiculous and stupid.

Really that's the main issue, Somna essentially became a battle manga. I once heard this saying from someone & I think it exemplifies the problem with Soma pretty well. It went from a sports manga about cooking to a battle manga about cooking.

Cause before it was more of a sports manga. There was no major world ending stakes or anything, it was entirely personal with the focus being on Soma staying in school, his development, and competition with other characters. Simple & concise, it works.

But Azami is the moment when things shifted & stopped being personal. Instead of just being about characters individual development through competition, it introduced stakes as in Azami taking over the school & indoctrinating the student body to enable his grand plan of taking over all the restaurants in Japan even the fast food joints to impose a universal menu of food all the while framed like a Nazi takeover. Its' convoluted, nonsensical, & it takes away from the characters which was the heart of the series.

Toriko can get away with crazy shit because it was explicitly a super-powered battle manga based on getting fictional food from obviously fictional animals. Soma foodgasms aside is near completely grounded in reality so seeing someone go All For One with knives is ridiculous with the realish setting.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
I don't really see the point of an article that could potencially push away viewers from season 5 or at least have them watching it with lack of objectivity. It would have been better to release this article after the end of the season.

First, ANN does not have any obligation to blindly promote anime; they should be able to criticize it. If fifth plate does bad for CR and Sentai it would be because of the merits of the show. And second, I thank ANN for writing this piece because it serves as a warning for anime only consumers of Food Wars.

Like others here, I hope things are changed in the anime version to improve the quality of the writing, but I doubt it is actually happening.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:17 am Reply with quote
Still can't want to watch this season(once Sentai dubs it).
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I have not been watching the anime nor do I have much interest in starting after having read the manga. That's not to say I think the anime would be bad because of the manga's late-chapter faults, but really just because I didn't get into this enough to put in the time watching.

My biggest gripe was what exactly what Nicholas mentioned regarding the flat, one-note designs of the characters in the Les Cuisiniers Noir arc. The idea of the arc was silly, yes, but let's face it: this is a title in which people's clothes go flying off when they taste delicious dishes. It's silly to begin with. I didn't have a problem with the concept of the arc. In fact, had it been well done it had a lot of potential. But the incredibly simplistic one-note character with absolutely zero development and completely absurd character designs was a bit too much for me. It reminded me of the "Gung-Ho Guns" characters in Trigun: so much potential for character depth yet all that opportunity was utterly squandered.

But really, the title went on for so long and there's only so much you can do with foodgasm jokes, it had to jump the shark at some point. And boy it did jump the shark bad.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Then the incest happens.

wait- what?
when the hell did that come up in the epilogue?
Oh right, that was a thing(talking about it).
huh... the end of the arc was so terrible I somehow managed to repress some of the unmemorable events.
Great this 5th season is just gonna reopen those wounds.

I love shokugeki but the inclusion of actual superpowers was one of the dumbest thing the series did, and I loved grandpa nakiri canonically losing clothing based on a food's tastiness. I lost it when Alice's dad lost his shirt... without taking off his jacket. Like how does that even work? I felt cheated when Alice's mom's power was losing her language awkwardness but hey we got a lot of fanservice at other female character's expenses. Some we really didn't need, *cough* loli twins *cough*. But back to the point, the nakiri stripping was a stupid superpower but it was the only instance and really it had little influence on the plot other than being an excuse for fanservice and a clothing level gage. Initally I thought it was a fun sight gimmick.

But Asahi just having the most ridiculous power, combined with the other noir's having equally comical powers just made me lose interest. It became a terrible rip-off from toriko, the way it was just accepted as fact was so silly it felt downright insulting to watch. Not to mention Asahi's power is basically a reskinning of Mimasaka signature but amped up to 11. Mimasaka's cooking was fun because as simple as it sounds what he did was stupidly difficult and limited. IF it was a real thing, but it isn't.

Ugh I'm just rambling now.
Anyway, the last arc was a real mess. Sure Mana Nakiri and Souma's mom were 2 unknowns but they could have been introduced using a much less comical script. Erina went so back in character development that she became a trophy wife for a bit. And Azami's backstory should have come up much sooner or during the Azami arc, it would've gone a long way to explaining why he was so obsessed with his crazy ideas instead of looking like a crazy yandere who got mad at critics for Joichiro's sake but took it out on the culture(and he'd have gotten away with it too if it weren't for those meddling kids).
Kuzu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:56 pm Reply with quote
They say an Ending can make or break a series; this ending didn't just break the series, it catastrophically torpedoed it into oblivion.

I've talked endless on why this arc is bad, so to change things up; I really have to wonder just what was going through the author's head when he was writing this. There's absolutely no way he couldn't have known how controversial the Azami arc was, so why would you double down on those same traits and actively make them worse? You honestly get the feeling that he just burnt out and just wrote the first thing that came into his head.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:35 am Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
I have not been watching the anime nor do I have much interest in starting after having read the manga. That's not to say I think the anime would be bad because of the manga's late-chapter faults, but really just because I didn't get into this enough to put in the time watching.

My biggest gripe was what exactly what Nicholas mentioned regarding the flat, one-note designs of the characters in the Les Cuisiniers Noir arc. The idea of the arc was silly, yes, but let's face it: this is a title in which people's clothes go flying off when they taste delicious dishes. It's silly to begin with. I didn't have a problem with the concept of the arc. In fact, had it been well done it had a lot of potential. But the incredibly simplistic one-note character with absolutely zero development and completely absurd character designs was a bit too much for me. It reminded me of the "Gung-Ho Guns" characters in Trigun: so much potential for character depth yet all that opportunity was utterly squandered.

But really, the title went on for so long and there's only so much you can do with foodgasm jokes, it had to jump the shark at some point. And boy it did jump the shark bad.

The Gun-ho Guns had a back history each and motives on the Trigun Maximun Manga, the Anime ignores all of it because it's a 300+ Manga condensed on 25 episodes.
twistboy9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I love food wars
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Kuzu wrote:
They say an Ending can make or break a series; this ending didn't just break the series, it catastrophically torpedoed it into oblivion.

I've talked endless on why this arc is bad, so to change things up; I really have to wonder just what was going through the author's head when he was writing this. There's absolutely no way he couldn't have known how controversial the Azami arc was, so why would you double down on those same traits and actively make them worse? You honestly get the feeling that he just burnt out and just wrote the first thing that came into his head.

The big question for me is why they didn't let it end right after tournament, like it was mentioned in the article this arc's ending was quite good and wrapped up most of the plot and character arcs, and the series were already going downhill and less popular, so just why?

angelmcazares wrote:
Nodz wrote:
I don't really see the point of an article that could potencially push away viewers from season 5 or at least have them watching it with lack of objectivity. It would have been better to release this article after the end of the season.

First, ANN does not have any obligation to blindly promote anime; they should be able to criticize it. If fifth plate does bad for CR and Sentai it would be because of the merits of the show. And second, I thank ANN for writing this piece because it serves as a warning for anime only consumers of Food Wars.

Like others here, I hope things are changed in the anime version to improve the quality of the writing, but I doubt it is actually happening.

I'm actually thankful for the warning. I still regret returning to watch the second part of Sword Art Online, that arc with flying elves. First part had its problems, but after all the show could be nice memory for me instead of rage-inducing bundle of stupidity that now stops me from watching other SAO series; I heard some may be good, but I just can't get the motivation up after that disaster.

Also, after reading the article I don't see how they can change things to be anything then slightly less horrible catastrophe, even if they remove incest for example it won't become good.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 1:14 pm Reply with quote
PseudoFiction wrote:

I suppose it could be done, if you start with lower stakes and skills.

I've only watched the first two season, haven't read the anime. The basic problem with the series is it's yet another bloody tournament show. The best part was at the beginning of season 2 when the character went out to work in restaurants, where they dealt with real issues and showed depth as characters. But obviously that is too much work, when you can keep market share by just repeating an old formula using a new skin.

The end of Food War honestly doesn't sound a lot worse than other things I've watched/read. It's all in the execution. I've seen other animes that were better than the source manga, so it could happen here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2