• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Stream Gundam Build Divers Re:RISE 2nd Season, The House Spirit Tatami-chan Ani

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh great, Funimation loses more titles to Crunchyroll, yet again.

TD912 wrote:
I'm actually worried about Hidive, they have slowly been getting less shows since Sentai's breakup with Amazon for Anime Strike a few years ago. The shows they chose to license in the past were generally pretty good but it feels like they just don't have enough money.
I get the impression that HiDive's main focus/appeal isn't so much newly-airing anime, as it is the back catalogue, movies/OVAs, dubs, and home-video/uncensored versions. Their "Most Popular" title has consistently been Legend of the Galactic Heroes, so they may get a fair amount of subscribers just from fans looking to avoid that $800 Blu-Ray collection price.

A Mystery wrote:
The market of Crunchyroll is a worldwide one.
Funimation only reaches UK, USA, Australia, New Zealand, the countries with English as first language. It has a lot of coverage but it means that all German, French and Spanish speaking people won't get to see the show. Not because they cannot speak English but because of Region Blocks.

If Funimation's only licensing for English-speaking countries, what's precluding other companies in other regions from licensing the same shows in those other languages? Sounds like we need more local distributors out there, instead of everyone relying on US companies to cater to the entire planet.

These days, whenever Funimation posts licensing announcements on Twitter (and presumably elsewhere), they get a bunch of anime viewers, mainly from Latin America, literally waving Jolly Rodger flags at them. I don't necessarily fault them for pirating content that isn't legally available to them, but at the same time, they shouldn't be wondering, "Why won't this company risk their money licensing for a region that's full of pirates who hate them??"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2