• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Reveals Most-Watched Series for January to March 2020

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Seeing Black Clover so high on many countries makes me rethink my life choices. I tried several times to give that anime a chance and I couldn't find a single thing that made it stand out from your typical shonen. I even believe other anime that I tried & dropped are still much better in either animation, pacing or plot. It also features the most annoying protagonist I've ever heard. Somewhat I still haven't given up on it because of some cool character designs I've seen from future seasons but I'm currently at episode 18 and I think it's just not for me.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:44 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
Is everyone know why CR do that?
Toei has their logo on all of their content even on home video releases.
TD912

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:46 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Since the U.S. is not on the list, it seems other countries have us beat when it comes to streaming anime.

I'm assuming CR is trying to keep their streaming statistics a secret from competitors. It would also explain why they're only listing them alphabetically.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:19 am Reply with quote
I find it odd that a anime about Baseball is popular in France.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:30 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
From the list at the bottom, "Columbia" is not a country. You either meant Colombia or Crunchyroll decided to list a city in South Carolina in its per-country statistics

https://twitter.com/ozAntinnippon/status/595132986565140481

Quote:
Just a reminder kids.
The only thing missing from Colombia is u.

SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:40 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Damn Darling’s been over for whole now.

I was shocked to see that up there. I thought it was a fun ride, but I wouldn't have expected it on a most watched list this long after it finished.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:25 am Reply with quote
I never even expected my country to make it in the list of countries that have been streaming the most anime per subscriber.
#AnonymousOne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:36 am Reply with quote
It's great to see Radiant got some attention despite the lack of coverage everywhere. It deserves way more credit than it initially received and its a damn shame that season 2 wasn't highlighted.

To be blunt, all of the major anime outlets (including ANN) did this series a huge disservice. While every other shonen airing at the time stumbled to a degree or fell into bad habits, Radiant 2 for the bulk of its run built up momentum by actually allowing its cast to grow with genuine consequences as opposed to relying on old tropes or gags. It added more than a handful of strong, independent characters that adds layers beyond Seth's journey to find Radiant and fleshes out the two main leads in ways most shonen almost never do; at least this early on.

And while I don't fault the mainstream outlets for covering what's popular, it rubs me the wrong way whenever a post or one of the larger Twitter outlets try to sell the idea that whatever is "hot" at the time is suddenly the pinnacle of shonen or just want to jump on the bandwagon. Just looking at the most recent seasons of the most popular airing shows at the time and breaking them down:

MHA 4: The Overhaul arc was such a huge letdown. I'm sorry, but a few superhero brawls, an underdeveloped supporting cast, and a huge fancy battle where the main guy comes in to save the day is not a measuring stick for quality. This isn't even getting into Eri who is mostly a "prop" character in the same vein as Demon Slayer's Nezuko or a very late character spoiler[death] that adds nothing to the narrative beyond shock value. Hell, I think I actually preferred the School Festival arc more than whatever the heck went on here.
Black Clover: Can we stop trying to pretend the bulk of the show's runtime wasn't some level of mediocre? If it takes a good 100+ episodes to finally be able to say a show is a good, that is not an achievement or a high level of endorsement. I know this show has its fans, but let's not hide the fact that it crawled its way to get to this point; literally (see Elves arc).
Boruto: .....
Food Wars 4/Seven Deadly Sins 3: Who would like the honor of putting these out of their misery next season?

I realize I'm not going to be making any friends for this, but my hope is someone will come across this post and take a moment to think about it or at least not take every critic's word at face value. If nothing else, at least encourage more people to check out Radiant or give it a second chance if you ended up dropping it rather than randomly asking on Twitter or whatever online channel "is it good?"
Paulo27

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:05 am Reply with quote
The worst taste imaginable.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:19 am Reply with quote
About half of those titles are on Toonami.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:35 am Reply with quote
#AnonymousOne wrote:
If it takes a good 100+ episodes to finally be able to say a show is a good, that is not an achievement or a high level of endorsement.

Exactly. It needs to be a good show from the get-go, not several episodes later.

Quote:
I realize I'm not going to be making any friends for this, but my hope is someone will come across this post and take a moment to think about it or at least not take every critic's word at face value.If nothing else, at least encourage more people to check out Radiant or give it a second chance if you ended up dropping it rather than randomly asking on Twitter or whatever online channel "is it good?"

I feel like the reason why some people are very reliant on the opinions of critics and fans when trying to figure out what new shows to watch, or what shows to give a second chance is because they're afraid if they go in blind and end up disliking the show, then they’ll feel like that they've wasted their time/money.

Last edited by OjaruFan2 on Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rowzy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:50 am Reply with quote
Happy to see Black Clover in the list.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:36 am Reply with quote
#AnonymousOne wrote:

To be blunt, all of the major anime outlets (including ANN) did this series a huge disservice. While every other shonen airing at the time stumbled to a degree or fell into bad habits, Radiant 2 for the bulk of its run built up momentum by actually allowing its cast to grow with genuine consequences as opposed to relying on old tropes or gags. It added more than a handful of strong, independent characters that adds layers beyond Seth's journey to find Radiant and fleshes out the two main leads in ways most shonen almost never do; at least this early on.

And while I don't fault the mainstream outlets for covering what's popular, it rubs me the wrong way whenever a post or one of the larger Twitter outlets try to sell the idea that whatever is "hot" at the time is suddenly the pinnacle of shonen or just want to jump on the bandwagon.

Ugh, you would've been more effective getting your point across if you weren't such bitter fanboy whose butthurt because the anime community and media outlets didn't give your favorite show the time of day and would rather talk about shows that are more worthwhile. If Radiant's first season wasn't so unremarkable then maybe more people would've bothered giving it a shot. Besides bashing whatever's popular is a pretty "bandwagon" thing to do.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And while I don't fault the mainstream outlets for covering what's popular, it rubs me the wrong way whenever a post or one of the larger Twitter outlets try to sell the idea that whatever is "hot" at the time is suddenly the pinnacle of shonen or just want to jump on the bandwagon. Just looking at the most recent seasons of the most popular airing shows at the time and breaking them down:
MHA has been at the top for years now so it's hardly aa"bandwagon" show or just what's "hot at the time." MHA is going to have a lasting impact on the anime fandom and industry for years. I'm not into Black Clover myself but it's also going to be around for awhile assuming the anime starts up again once there's enough manga material to adapt more. The show by all means is still a success even if there's this vocal minority that's critical of it given that the show ended up adapting more than the initially planned 51 episode run. Most anime sites and fans have been fairly critical of the recent Food Wars seasons and ANN even ran a big critical piece of it recently. And pretty much no one covered Seven Deadly Sins either after it got locked behind Netflix jail.
#Sticky_Fingers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:02 am Reply with quote
JonDoe wrote:
#AnonymousOne wrote:

And while I don't fault the mainstream outlets for covering what's popular, it rubs me the wrong way whenever a post or one of the larger Twitter outlets try to sell the idea that whatever is "hot" at the time is suddenly the pinnacle of shonen or just want to jump on the bandwagon.

Ugh, you would've been more effective getting your point across if you weren't such bitter fanboy whose butthurt because the anime community and media outlets didn't give your favorite show the time of day and would rather talk about shows that are more worthwhile. If Radiant's first season wasn't so unremarkable then maybe more people would've bothered giving it a shot. Besides bashing whatever's popular is a pretty "bandwagon" thing to do.

To be fair, they made some valid criticisms over the latest seasons/episodes of each of those shows further down even if it got a little heated. Also, you're giving them crap for bashing the popular stuff, yet you're doing the same thing by bashing the unpopular show. That's also a pretty "bandwagon" thing to do.

Using mob rule (reviews, popularity, sales, etc.), is a flimsy way to prop up what's good or not just because it aligns with your opinions. I mean, it wasn't that long ago people were review bombing MAL because of a mediocre hentai that would have likely been forgotten had it not been pulled from a big streaming service, but I digress.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3