• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but I'm not crazy when I say the guy has barely done anything all series, right?

They all have about the same amount of interaction with Katarina (save maybe Maria), it's just that Giordo's interaction were front loaded in the anime.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:49 am Reply with quote
The Protagonist Currently Known As Catarina.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:22 am Reply with quote
Prima Bakarina
michizure

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:27 am Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
The Protagonist Currently Known As Catarina.

Abbreviated as "Proto-rina"? that might work.

Of course, by rights she should have been "Biiko" or something similar, since her best friend was "Acchan."
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Is the increased emphasis on the connection between past and future lives a more common thread in these “Reborn into an otome game world” type of stories? Because I really do think that 95% of isekai light novel adaptations would be better with more emphasis on that aspect of the genre.

Not really, they are about as rare as they are in the shounen/seinen ones.

One isekai was a particular letdown regarding that as the japanese guy was reincarnated as a werewolf who becomes one of the demon lord's general and has his nice share of war crimes against humans before he hits his head and remembers he was a human in japan, so now he feels like atoning. Its a letdown because the translation got dropped and I suspect it is because it went nowhere with the premise after the first arc (funny thing, thye first summary I read of youjo zenki was so poorly written that I tought it was like that too).

Quote:
Is Acchan truly living in Sophia's body, or is she more like a passive passenger?

This one is very similar to another one where the mc has gone through 3 previous reincarnations, he was a highschooler riht beofre going to isekai, but before that he was a salary in the 80s-90s and before that he was a samurai in the meiji era or earlier. Due to how many memories piling up, he acts/is the new isekai kid, and his memories act more like alt personalities, very siialr to catarina's or kumo's councils, but sometimes they take charge of the main. It feels as if sofia did something similar.
Roger Pepitone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:21 pm Reply with quote
michizure wrote:
*It bothers me on some level to say "Catarina" when I really mean "the Japanese girl who became Catarina," but since we're never going to get a name I guess I have to live with it. I do like that her Japanese persona was short, messy, and convincingly drawn as plain.

TV Tropes uses "monkey girl" to refer to pre-truck-san Catarina.
michizure

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:56 pm Reply with quote
The end credits have "previous life ( 前世, zense) Catarina('s) mother/brother," which doesn't help. Acchan just calls her "that girl" (ano ko) in third person.

I am happy to see Acchan finally listed with Sophia's VA, however.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:24 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
One isekai was a particular letdown regarding that as the japanese guy was reincarnated as a werewolf who becomes one of the demon lord's general and has his nice share of war crimes against humans before he hits his head and remembers he was a human in japan, so now he feels like atoning. Its a letdown because the translation got dropped and I suspect it is because it went nowhere with the premise after the first arc.

That sounds an awful lot like another title that J-Novel Club has. They’re translating volume 8 right now.
Birriaman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn’t an episode directed at seeing how her previous family was coping with her death have been better? Or Acchan’s for that matter? Thats what I was hoping for since I don’t remember any isekai dealing with the actual loss of the protagonist by those left behind, and I had reslly high hopes. Alas, its based on a LN and very few artistic liberties are being taken.
Uchay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:47 pm Reply with quote
The reviewer is completely right at the end. This is a perfect moment to stop watching if you are already getting bored and a perfectly good way to wrap up the main plot.

Don't go into the second season expecting Bakarina to pick someone, she stays as dense as ever.

Up to where I stopped reading, everything that is to come won't really add anything to the characterisation and overall plot. It's all some vague fanservice and pure Bakarina style comedy, so if you itching for this sort of thing, go ahead. There are new characters who fall for her and enter the harem, but that's it.

It's all (platonic) fluff with some not-quite-drama sprinkled here and there for flavor.

spoiler[I need to tell ya guys, she has a pretty impressive harem honestly. I don't think there's a male character in anime history who's more impressive than her when it comes to denseness and harem size Laughing]
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The only thing the dude is even good at, apparently, is making tea. And that isn't hard. You just dunk some leaves and a little dirt into a cup of hot water, right?

(I don't drink much tea, to tell you the truth.)

What variety of tea? What kind? How hot is the water? For how long? Do you reuse those leaves? Why are you getting creative? I demand a sirius rectification!
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The catch was that the spell required a human sacrifice, as all good spells do, and so Raphael's poor mother was put on the chopping block.

Geez, what a cliche. Mom dies while dad lives. How "original".
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Gee Sirius Dieke really wanted the Dieke... family name that is.

So here's a question that no one in the show asked... why did he start harassing Catarina anyway? Couldn't we have cut some of the tragic backstory to at least addressee that? And yeah, it would have been more fun if the show had poked fun at the situation, maybe by having Catarina solve the problem in some silly way ("Dieke, eat a snickers. I know how much people get moody when they're hungry").

Overall I sorta enjoyed the show but I really feel like pretty much all material potential was used up and I'm sorta ambivalent toward an S2. I guess they could sorta ramp up the Catarina obviousness to the point where people are throwing themselves naked at her and she doesn't get the hint (kinda like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa-4IAR_9Yw) and get some humour out of that, but that'll get old pretty quickly (would make a strong short though).

Honestly I think I'd rather they tone down the harem aspect and just make a slice of life out of it. Catarina and her council are fun characters, just having them navigate day to day life would be entertaining on it's own. I don't need every situation to have 7 different love interest all getting their 1/2 interchangeable line in.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:

That sounds an awful lot like another title that J-Novel Club has. They’re translating volume 8 right now.

yes, it shoudl be this one.

Birriaman wrote:
Wouldn’t an episode directed at seeing how her previous family was coping with her death have been better? Or Acchan’s for that matter? Thats what I was hoping for since I don’t remember any isekai dealing with the actual loss of the protagonist by those left behind, and I had reslly high hopes. Alas, its based on a LN and very few artistic liberties are being taken.

a non gate one ?
In mushoku tensei the protagonist kind of gives a fudge about his original world, but because the main part of the plot is that he was a horrible personhe accepts that the world is better without him. There is a very specific event that makes you no odubt that, though that's hidden between layers of content, and that would be as bad even if hhe was a succesful business man with a happy family as it is with him being a leeching hikikomori.

but, unless there is a way to get back, the original world stops mattering, and as some series have gotten adaptations, itd be pretty spoilery.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:04 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Gee Sirius Dieke really wanted the Dieke... family name that is.

So here's a question that no one in the show asked... why did he start harassing Catarina anyway? Couldn't we have cut some of the tragic backstory to at least addressee that? And yeah, it would have been more fun if the show had poked fun at the situation, maybe by having Catarina solve the problem in some silly way ("Dieke, eat a snickers. I know how much people get moody when they're hungry").

Overall I sorta enjoyed the show but I really feel like pretty much all material potential was used up and I'm sorta ambivalent toward an S2. I guess they could sorta ramp up the Catarina obviousness to the point where people are throwing themselves naked at her and she doesn't get the hint (kinda like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa-4IAR_9Yw) and get some humour out of that, but that'll get old pretty quickly (would make a strong short though).

Honestly I think I'd rather they tone down the harem aspect and just make a slice of life out of it. Catarina and her council are fun characters, just having them navigate day to day life would be entertaining on it's own. I don't need every situation to have 7 different love interest all getting their 1/2 interchangeable line in.

I wondered about that too. And my conclusion was that since Bakarina was stealing everyone's lines and roles so hard, she also stole Maria's role as the only one who could stand up against dark magic. Sirius should want to get rid of Maria first and foremost but instead he accidentally gravitated toward the black hole.

As for S2 I'd like the cast to become more autonomous. Every member of the harem has distinct personalities with things they're good and bad at. I wish they played with that more than just treating them as one big single entity. It was disappointing to see the many times one or several of them could have stood out and put their abilities to use.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9