Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
kotomikun



Joined: 06 May 2013
Posts: 882
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:11 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
So here's a question that no one in the show asked... why did he start harassing Catarina anyway?

There wasn't a detailed explanation for that, but we can probably assume it has something to do with the whole "possessed by the unhinged vengeful spirit of a murdered dark wizard" thing. Just before he got banished, Mr. Spooky Wizard Ghost made it pretty clear that he wanted to isolate Sirius/Rafael from his friends in order to control him more effectively.

I feel like this show is hard to give a concrete rating for, because while it does have strengths and weaknesses, ultimately it's all about the memes, and Catarina's unstoppable-earnest-idiot vibes. Hard to guess where the story's supposed to go from here, but anyone who enjoyed it so far will likely enjoy whatever it does next, unless they throw out the main character or something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Covnam



Joined: 31 May 2005
Posts: 1775
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:37 pm Reply with quote
"Friendship ending"? No Catarina, it's the harem ending Laughing

This arc felt like a pretty unnecessary attempt to add drama. Hopefully the LN doesn't bother with a similar level again as I don't think it suits it.

I wonder what happened to the real Sirius after the ceremony. Did they just abandon him right away thinking it was just a "shell" of person left behind or what?

Not sure if it was because the evil wizard messing with his memories, but it seems odd that Raphael's mother hears about what is going to happen to her son and doesn't react much.

If Raphael wanted revenge against the people who killed his real mother, why was he moving against Catarina and her group when his real target is his fake mother and servants (presumably) at his home? At any time he could have used his dark magic on them, but instead he starts doing shady things at school because he doesn't like that Catarina is making friends? At least if it involved Catarina's family or the royal family it would have made sense for his rage to be directed at them, but instead it's just a tangent to his real target for no good reason.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 8968
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I wonder what happened to the real Sirius after the ceremony. Did they just abandon him right away thinking it was just a "shell" of person left behind or what?

I was a bit confused by the swap too. It seemed like the real Sirius' body that was failing, and the idea was to put his soul into Raphael's healthy body, giving Raphael's soul the boot. Which made me wonder why no one would notice that Sirius now looked like Raphael. I mean, people can tell even twins apart.

But it wasn't a swap, but just cramming another soul in? Which turned out to not be an actual soul (so where did Sirius' soul get off to?), plus the evil mage lobbed in for the ride too? No wonder the kid went evil - too damn crowded in there.

Ah well, it's all good in the end. And they should probably leave it there. I'll probably only follow a 2nd season if the rest of the offerings when it comes out are sparse.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
michizure



Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Posts: 109
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
"Friendship ending"? No Catarina, it's the harem ending ...

As repugnant as some of the connotations of the phrase are, I think "Friend-zone Ending" is an appropriate way to characterize it.

I'm curious about the way they portrayed Raphael's mother and Catarina. There are several instances where they say exactly the same words under similar circumstances. From Raphael's point of view, his (true) memories of his mother overlap with his experiences with Catarina to a significant degree.

I've been thinking that neither Protorina nor pure FL-version Catarina is particularly nice, much less charming or gracious. That the original Catarina was not a nice person goes without saying; Protorina was socially awkward and introverted enough that she had only one friend. So, where did our Catarina get her tricks? Some of it comes from internalizing the things she needs to do to avoid her Bad Ends, but what if there is more? What if Raphael's mother reincarnated (or at least, passed some of her personality) into Catarina?

I don't think there's enough information to resolve the timing of the sacrifice(s) vs.Catarina's Head Injury of Illumination, but it seems as if they could be pretty close -- Raphael and Sirius were both about 8? which would make Catarina 7. If the black mage could hold on to Raphael to work his revenge, Raphael's mother could find a host to possess to try and protect him. This, then, is why Raphael focused on Catarina over Maria: he was drawn to the ghost of his mother, and she to him.

[To be fair, I never got anything like this impression from the novels. It's based as much on visual direction, especially the Acchan/Sophia connection, as explicit evidence. Fridge logic, yes, but at worst it's no crazier than some of the actual plot points.]

As for the second season, I think Catarina personifies the Divine Fool. The basic question is, how much can she accomplish by accident, while simultaneously remaining oblivious to all the plots, counter-plots, and romantic desires swirling around her?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 8968
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:07 am Reply with quote
michizure wrote:
Protorina was socially awkward and introverted enough that she had only one friend.

Though I disagree with this part, I like your theory very much, and will henceforth adopt it. Smile

The circumstance for friend-making were very different for Proto vs FL-Cat. In both worlds she's sweet and outgoing and oblivious, but in Proto's world, she was perceived as pretty weird, and thus to be avoided for sticking out in her weird exuberance about everything. And in that setting, isolating her was easy. Just avoid her between classes and don't invite her to anything.

But in FL's world, nobles are expected to socialize with each other, like it or not. So even though they thought she was weird (and even when the original was downright unpleasant), those kids had to be around her, long enough for them to finally see all the good qualities that made them want to keep being around her.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zefram



Joined: 02 Oct 2019
Posts: 7
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:04 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Gee Sirius Dieke really wanted the Dieke... family name that is.

So here's a question that no one in the show asked... why did he start harassing Catarina anyway? Couldn't we have cut some of the tragic backstory to at least addressee that? And yeah, it would have been more fun if the show had poked fun at the situation, maybe by having Catarina solve the problem in some silly way ("Dieke, eat a snickers. I know how much people get moody when they're hungry").

Overall I sorta enjoyed the show but I really feel like pretty much all material potential was used up and I'm sorta ambivalent toward an S2. I guess they could sorta ramp up the Catarina obviousness to the point where people are throwing themselves naked at her and she doesn't get the hint (kinda like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa-4IAR_9Yw) and get some humour out of that, but that'll get old pretty quickly (would make a strong short though).

Honestly I think I'd rather they tone down the harem aspect and just make a slice of life out of it. Catarina and her council are fun characters, just having them navigate day to day life would be entertaining on it's own. I don't need every situation to have 7 different love interest all getting their 1/2 interchangeable line in.


Its actually explained in the manga adaptation . Catarina, when she first met Sirius in Council room, commented on how good his tea was. Sirius immediately had the flashback about his mother saying exactly the same. In fact, every time Catarina interacted with him, he was hit with major painful flashbacks about his mother, because Catarina acts exactly like her. Actually as somebody pointed out, based on these fiew manga chapters there is a very strong chance about Raphael mother's soul being in Catarina. So the mage's soul started hating on Catarina because she would distract and dissuade Sirius from taking revenge on Dieke family and from doing bad things, so Catarina had to go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spastic Minnow
Subscriber<br>Exempt from Grammar rulesSubscriber
Exempt from Grammar rules


Joined: 02 May 2006
Posts: 4119
Location: Gainesville, FL
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:05 pm Reply with quote
James Beckett wrote:
Marchioness Dieke hired a Black Mage to perform some ungodly spell or other that would transfer the dying Sirius' memories and whatnot into Raphael's body.


You missed a bit of the convolution there. She didn't "hire" a black mage, she blackmailed a regular mage (with the safety of his family) to become a black mage because the spell she needed was dark magic. As said before, you can only become a black mage by killing someone (or apparently being possessed by someone who did). So he wasn't just killed to keep the rituals quiet, he was killed because they had just created a dark mage and that's too dangerous to keep around after the job was done.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuvelir



Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 607
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
You missed a bit of the convolution there. She didn't "hire" a black mage, she blackmailed a regular mage (with the safety of his family) to become a black mage because the spell she needed was dark magic. As said before, you can only become a black mage by killing someone (or apparently being possessed by someone who did). So he wasn't just killed to keep the rituals quiet, he was killed because they had just created a dark mage and that's too dangerous to keep around after the job was done.

I thought he was dangerous to keep around because he knew too much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blood-
Aria CompanyAria Company


Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 20485
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, Mrs. Dieke certainly blew her chances to be "Mother of the Year" that's for sure. Unless you take an "anything goes" attitude to displays of maternal concern.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
ZeroWX



Joined: 14 Feb 2016
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:43 pm Reply with quote
The plan was to use Dark Magic to transfer the soul of Sirius to Raphael body, so they first used Raphaels mother as sacrifice to adquire Dark Magic, then that Magician used an spell that was suppose to transfer the Soul and Memories of one target to another, but because of the Illness of Sirius he actually died before the ritual could be completed, so only the memorys of Sirius were transferred to Raphael, and in order to silence the Magician, they killed him, and he tried to use the transfer method again, but because he was agonizing only his negative emotions and evil intent were transfer to Raphael. About why he hated Catarina it was because she remembered him about his death mother and was making him forget his pain and grudge, which the presence of the late Magician needed to stay alive (something that was not explained here was that Dark Magic is fuelled by negative emotions, so if he got ride of his grudge the presence would banish, how it happened in the last chapter)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Agent355



Joined: 12 Dec 2008
Posts: 4770
Location: Crackberry in hand, thumbs at the ready...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:04 am Reply with quote
I really wish this show had more plot depth than fluff. I like Michizure’s theory about Raphael’s mother accidentally mixing with Katarina’s soul, and would like this series more if it actually had plot twists like that, or it suggested other intriguing mysteries, like if the magic users in this world were somehow behind Protorina and Acchan’s isekai transfer, and/or the game in their world...but I get the feeling this series is content with fluffy harem antics, which makes a second season seem boring to me. Oh, well, apparently there are dozens of similar otome game isekai stories now, maybe I’ll find intriguing plot mysteries in another world! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yuvelir



Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 607
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:46 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
maybe I’ll find intriguing plot mysteries in another world! Very Happy

Watch out for trucks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group