• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kaguya-sama: Love is War Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Though relatively short, Miko's first outing serves as a perfect encapsulation of her character

Hehehe...
Birriaman

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:54 am Reply with quote
If you still have doubts about how important Miko will be to the plot then you obviously are an anime-only viewer of the story. She would definitelyspoiler[ be the MVP of the show If it wasn't for Ai just being there.] Can't wait for the rest of the season, and I kind of figure where it will end, which sets up for an even better S3.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:
I think it's hilarious how Kashiwagi's and Shinomiya's roles as advice-seeker and advice-giver have completely flip-flopped, and Kashiwagi (lamentfully) knows it. She can read Shinomiya like a book.
Fujiwara-sensei comes to the rescue again! I find it delightful how easily her character switches between hapless agent of chaos and dutiful, capable friend. In a lot of other shows she'd probably strictly be the ditz.
toprak

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:28 pm Reply with quote
cchigu wrote:
This season will be amazing. But the next season will be the best.

Yessssss exactly, I'm totally agree with you.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Another great episode. I loved the timing of Chika's "Eh?" after the narrator said "To Be Continued" Laughing
toprak

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Another great episode. I loved the timing of Chika's "Eh?" after the narrator said "To Be Continued" Laughing

Kaguya-sama S2 Best anime of this season so far. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Gurren Rodan wrote:
Episode 5:
I think it's hilarious how Kashiwagi's and Shinomiya's roles as advice-seeker and advice-giver have completely flip-flopped, and Kashiwagi (lamentfully) knows it. She can read Shinomiya like a book.
Fujiwara-sensei comes to the rescue again! I find it delightful how easily her character switches between hapless agent of chaos and dutiful, capable friend. In a lot of other shows she'd probably strictly be the ditz.

Don't forget her third side of utterly selfish person - the one who ran away bawling because the other three would dare consider doing something without her over the summer. And right after she told them of all the places she was going with her family, too.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:36 am Reply with quote
^That's right, I forgot about that; Fujiwara can be genuinely obnoxious sometimes too, can't she? Laughing
...But I appreciate that. The characters are endearing, but they have their vices too, and they're richer as characters for it. I'm very curious what's in store for next episode following that final segment (guess I should start reading the manga...).
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
From the flowery aesthetics to the dialogue to the central conflict, this segment is a pitch-perfect send-up of stereotypical shojo manga.

Also a distinct reminder that this show really is the spiritual successor to Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
From the flowery aesthetics to the dialogue to the central conflict

There's a piece of BGM during the shoujo manga scene that is an obvious pastiche of a Rose of Versailles theme. I think it was used in a previous episode as well, but it was very obvious here.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:17 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Also a distinct reminder that this show really is the spiritual successor to Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun.

Thanks for the sad reminder of a show that should have lasted longer. I guess I really should be grateful Kaguya-sama has lasted even this long.

Poor Miko is simply not prepared for the shenanigans of the council. I hope she fares better moving forward! Laughing
...And Kaguya's "innocent" mind continues to be corrupted. I was mildly aghast by that underwear sketch![/i]
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Re: The massage bit, I also appreciate the way Kaguya's plan not only fails to work on Miyuki, but instead is the one to fall under the sway of her love massage, making a great contrast to Miyuki's torture Laughing
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 12:27 am Reply with quote
The thing with Kaguya making most of the plans come from a narrative choice.

We have to remember that Kaguya and Shirogane are not equal, she has all the power in the "Relationship", not just she has all the money and the super maid but she is also a natural-born prodige.

Most of Shirogane's plans are actually "Counters" to Kaguya´s plans because he lacks her resources, from a battle anime point of view, Kaguya is the heavy warrior who smashes Shirogane the light warrior that counters.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(Kaguya cutting him off as he begins to share the story of his own first love is a particularly funny moment.)

Seeing how his first love was Kaguya's mother, I didn't find it funny... and, yeah, I figured that out prior to the end reveal. The guy was acting less than a family doctor and more like a doting father.

... that would explain a few things...
MazinToaster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:47 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Animegomaniac"]
Quote:
Seeing how his first love was Kaguya's mothe

The girl in his flashback was not Kaguya's mother, Nayotake (Kaguya's mother) was likely his patient several times.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6