• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Are Any of Those Netflix Anime Actually Good?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Does the Dragon Prince counts?

Because I like it, it also has the... honor? of being the only USA media I have seen in my life with a kinda believable love subplot.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Does the Dragon Prince counts?

Because I like it, it also has the... honor? of being the only USA media I have seen in my life with a kinda believable love subplot.

No, that’s American...and not very good. Also there’s some horror stories about the creator gaslighting his staff.
Mirasti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:05 am Reply with quote
I never thought it was so easy.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:07 am Reply with quote
Surprised to see no commentary on Netflix subtitles, whether in the article or thirty-plus posts in.

Have their subtitles improved for more recent shows, like Carole & Tuesday? From the garbage I remember their subs for Fate/Apocrypha and Fate/Last Encore being, to this stupid error in Violet Evergarden that even made it into the dub and made me swear off Netflix's subtitled release...

... I just don't feel comfortable about seeing these "Netflix exclusives" on Netflix.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bexarath

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:17 am Reply with quote
Does Castlevania count? That one's decent at least. Beyond that, the only anime I've watched on Netflix and really liked is Carole & Tuesday, Aggretsuko, and Beastars. DMC was okay I guess, though way too depressing for my tastes.

Dorohedoro and BNA might turn out all right, but the whole "Netflix Jail" thing is frustrating in and of itself.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:46 am Reply with quote
I feel like you need to very specifically define “Netflix Original Anime” and include a list of titles, because I’m honestly not sure what’s considered “Original” to Netflix—or what’s considered “anime” when it comes to an American international media producer. I’m guessing Carole & Tuesday and Beaststars weren’t “Original” and Castlevania and Cannon Busters weren’t “anime”, but only because those titles weren’t mentioned in this column.

In any case, you summed up why I hate the binge model. I really, really hate it, even when it doesn’t mean good shows are locked in Netflix jail.
(Psst—if we can talk about American animated series sometime, She-Ra and the Princesses of Power is the best damn reboot that I’ve seen in Netflix!)

Beatdigga wrote:
v1cious wrote:
Am I the only person who watched "Seis Manos"? I mean sure it was animated by Powerhouse, but it was actually produced by VIZ". That was a pretty damn good show.

It wasn’t made by the Japanese so anime fans hated it forever. Advertising non-anime as anime will piss people off no matter how good the action or big the cast.

The quality bounces a lot between their originals, but Ultraman, as per Netflix themselves, was the most watched anime of all their originals. Just saying. People want violence and big explosions.

How do we know? Netflix famously doesn’t release their ratings, which is shady.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:43 am Reply with quote
Netflix said so themselves..

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-12-31/ultraman-tops-netflix-most-watched-anime-in-japan-in-2019/.154902

No Dragon Prince in any category, no She-Ra (although Mattel was so embarrassed by the latter they’re making two He-Man shows with radically different tones to that), etc.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:00 am Reply with quote
That last image crushed me. I was rooting for Cannon Busters, but all it has going for it, through the entire season, is its opening credits.

I can't say it failed as an anime, because it didn't even succeed as a story. How can you be anime when you're just...nothing?

"Maybe I'll give AICO and B The Beginning another shot," he sort of lied to himself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:25 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I feel like you need to very specifically define “Netflix Original Anime” and include a list of titles, because I’m honestly not sure what’s considered “Original” to Netflix—or what’s considered “anime” when it comes to an American international media producer. I’m guessing Carole & Tuesday and Beaststars weren’t “Original” and Castlevania and Cannon Busters weren’t “anime”, but only because those titles weren’t mentioned in this column.

There's the regular definition that we all use, and then there's the Netflix definition. Netflix has their own definition when it comes to anime. In Netflix's eyes, anime = cool, action focused shows for adults. Meanwhile, cartoon = comedic, silly show for kids. So Canon Busters and Castlevania are anime while Dragon Prince and She-Ra is a cartoon.

Which gives me some hope for He-Man since they're billing it as an "anime" which means it will probably be the exact opposite of the likes of Thundercats Roar, She-Ra, and other modern reboots of old stuff.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:56 am Reply with quote
She-Ra and the Princesses of Power was a surprisingly good cartoon reboot. Even though it tended to a younger audience, it still kept me interested in it and the characters.

I think we are asking the wrong question here. What we should be asking is what the mainstream Netflix public thinks about these shows, Not anime fans. Are these shows successful by Netflix standards?

Is Netflix making cheap anime shows because of anime's cultural 'cachet and that Netflix thinks their subscribers won't hold these anime shows to higher standards that anime fans would?

I haven't watched any Netflix anime originals, so I don't have the answer. I just know though if there wasn't a Netflix, there would be no She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, or no Lost in Space reboot.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:22 am Reply with quote
The only Netflix original anime I've had any interest in is Carole & Tuesday. Other than that, I just rewatch anime I've already seen, like Kill la Kill and Neon Genesis Evangelion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Skerlly Fc wrote:
Just like any other Netflix production, most anime fans forget that Netflix either gives money to people that can create content for them, or people approach Netflix to create anime. For 98% of the time, they don't meddle with these productions, meaning that a production is as good or as bad as its staff wants to make them. For most anime fans, the opinions for a Netflix original anime mostly go like this:
a) If it's a good series, they remove Netflix from the equation and they say that the anime is good because of the staff or the execution and the likes.
b) If a series is bad, we blame Netflix for all the terrible decision made on the writing and technical parts, and the staff stops being important.
c)If a series is done in 3D, anime fans start claiming that Netflix is imposing an agenda on Japanese staff to create 3D shows, when it's the staffers that approach Netflix to do the content. Or they do the content in 3D and offer the license to Netflix.
a and c are possibly true, I would argue that b is not. If it's a bad series people blame Netflix for picking it up, as has been stated unlike other platforms whose job it is to get as much Anime out there as possible. Netflix is more picky in what they have, usually only picking a couple of titles a season or less. So they can both be held to a different standard than other platforms as well as it being a valid question to why a certain title was hand picked.

For comparison Amazon has a better track record than Netflix, they've licensed Vinland Saga, Dororo, Re;Creators and Made in Abyss. So far the best we've got from Netflix is Devilman Crybaby, Little Witch Academia, Dragon Pilot and Carol and Tuseday despite Nteflix having more shows. I would even argue that the less well received titles like Banana Fish, Altair: A Record of Battles and Blade in the Immortal are still better than most of the stuff I've fount on Netflix.
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Surprised to see no commentary on Netflix subtitles, whether in the article or thirty-plus posts in.

Have their subtitles improved for more recent shows, like Carole & Tuesday? From the garbage I remember their subs for Fate/Apocrypha and Fate/Last Encore being, to this stupid error in Violet Evergarden that even made it into the dub and made me swear off Netflix's subtitled release...

... I just don't feel comfortable about seeing these "Netflix exclusives" on Netflix.

Those translations are bad, if true. What show is this? I want to go hear the Japanese myself.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:48 pm Reply with quote
^
That's Violet Evergarden and yeah when Netflix was simulcasting that show, I was utterly confused by that scene until someone posted what was actually said in that scene.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:

I review a lot of Netflix anime, and the subtitles have improved a lot. They're still clunky at times, but they're not "machine translated word salad" like they were in Last Encore
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5