• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Are Any of Those Netflix Anime Actually Good?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
The quality is all over the place. On the one hand, you have boring shows like Hero Mask, plagiaristic garbage like Cannon Busters, but then you get Aggretsuko, Baki, and Kengan Ashura, which are all wonderfully insane.

Polygon Pictures is the true criminal here if you ask me. They suck. Although judging by Netflix doing their damndest to circumvent the production committee system, I expect more anime in the vein of the latter. People want violence, and adult content, and all that fun stuff. Otherwise they would just watch American cartoons.

YotaruVegeta wrote:
That last image crushed me. I was rooting for Cannon Busters, but all it has going for it, through the entire season, is its opening credits.

I can't say it failed as an anime, because it didn't even succeed as a story. How can you be anime when you're just...nothing?

"Maybe I'll give AICO and B The Beginning another shot," he sort of lied to himself.

Cannon Busters is very derivative from other shows like Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo, but it has an actual good execution and a respectable production story since it was born from a crownfunding. It's not a masterpiece, but is far better than truly crappy stuffs like Hero Mask, Cagaster of an Insect Cage, 7SEEDS and Sword Gai.

If they give the show a second season, I hope Netflix put more money this time, instead of they using only crownfunding-earned budged.

Wyvern wrote:
OFFICIAL LIST OF GOOD NETFLIX ANIME, IN ORDER:

1. Little Witch Academia
2. Devilman Crybaby
3. Aggretsuko
4. Beastars
5. Violet Evergarden
6. Carol and Tuesday
7. Um....
8. Welp, that might be it, folks. See you in six months when BNA finally drops, I guess.

Being honest, Hi Score Girl, Kengan Ashura, Ultraman, Baki, and even B: The Beginning and Cannon Busters are good shows too. Even Sirius the Jeager and that Magi spinoff (the one with Sinbad as the protagonist, wich was released as an Netflix original) are good and memorable at some point.
Rilakkuma and Kaoru is a good show too.

We also have the first season of Ajin, wich was amazing... and then, ruined by a terrible second season.

Also, probably some folks will disagree, but both Carole & Tuesday and Violet Evergarden are overrated shows. Obviously better than many other Netflix's originals, but overrated in general.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, when I brought up She-Ra, I didn’t expect to start a war!
I love Netflix’s She-Ra in every way, and I fully admit to being biased. But I suspect it—and Voltron before it, which I liked but certainly didn’t love—are popular shows because I personally have attended New York Comic Con panels filled with hundreds of fans screaming as if the writers and voice actors on stage were rock stars, as well as been in discussions with dozens of fellow fans online. I know these anecdotal measures aren’t the same as ratings, but Netflix doesn’t release *meaningful* viewer statistics. I think we can mostly agree that “subscribers checked out at least 2 minutes of this show!” isn’t meaningful. Toy sales aren’t a meaningful measure, either, because the primary audience for She-Ra and Voltron are older kids/tweens/teens/Young Adults, and they’re more likely to buy fanart than toys.

I am personally saddened to read that Mattel decided to separate He-Man/Masters of the Universe from Dreamworks’ She-Ra, whatever their reasons may be, because I think Dreamworks could’ve made a fantastic spin-off if they were given a chance. I’m not familiar enough with Kevin Smith’s work to speculate on how he will handle He-Man. As another poster said, I’m willing to check it out as long as it’s engaging and not done in cheap, stilted CG.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Reported post removed (and one response). By all means disagree, but don't make it personal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I love Netflix’s She-Ra in every way, and I fully admit to being biased. But I suspect it—and Voltron before it, which I liked but certainly didn’t love—are popular shows because I personally have attended New York Comic Con panels filled with hundreds of fans screaming as if the writers and voice actors on stage were rock stars, as well as been in discussions with dozens of fellow fans online. I know these anecdotal measures aren’t the same as ratings, but Netflix doesn’t release *meaningful* viewer statistics. I think we can mostly agree that “subscribers checked out at least 2 minutes of this show!” isn’t meaningful. Toy sales aren’t a meaningful measure, either, because the primary audience for She-Ra and Voltron are older kids/tweens/teens/Young Adults, and they’re more likely to buy fanart than toys.

I am personally saddened to read that Mattel decided to separate He-Man/Masters of the Universe from Dreamworks’ She-Ra, whatever their reasons may be, because I think Dreamworks could’ve made a fantastic spin-off if they were given a chance. I’m not familiar enough with Kevin Smith’s work to speculate on how he will handle He-Man. As another poster said, I’m willing to check it out as long as it’s engaging and not done in cheap, stilted CG.

I’m going to say that’s a false equivalence, especially in Voltron’s case where the toy company in Playmates publicity said the toys flopped. And I have a response to that in Firefly/Serenity. Large fans at conventions, but the ratings were bleh and the film bombed at the box office. It’s the case of noise vs. amount. Sure, there are loud fans, but the casual audiences were not there.

I’d love World Events Productions to pull a stunt like Mattel did with Revelations, like making their own version of Voltron and getting someone like Masami Obari to do the mecha battles. But the legal situations are quite different.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

I’m going to say that’s a false equivalence, especially in Voltron’s case where the toy company in Playmates publicity said the toys flopped. And I have a response to that in Firefly/Serenity. Large fans at conventions, but the ratings were bleh and the film bombed at the box office. It’s the case of noise vs. amount. Sure, there are loud fans, but the casual audiences were not there.

I’d love World Events Productions to pull a stunt like Mattel did with Revelations, like making their own version of Voltron and getting someone like Masami Obari to do the mecha battles. But the legal situations are quite different.

Didn't Voltron also tie their toys with Toys R Us right before their bankruptcy?

In any case, neither you nor I have any way to prove She-Ra, or any Netflix's shows, actual viewer numbers. Netflix doesn't even tell showrunners viewership numbers, they're certainly not telling the media or fans. Little tidbits like "2 minutes watched" aren't useful. And Firefly was a network show cancelled very quickly which subsequently gained a cult status (and some comic book/graphic novel continuations)---it had completely different circumstances.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Imo, Netflix is like typical anime season quality. They have a small amount of shows that are really well received, the same amount that are generally terrible all around and then the huge 90% remainder are shows that are really forgettable unless you have seen a lot of anime or this is one of the first anime you see in a new sub genre you're giving a shot.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Sword Gai is an okay show if you have a decent tolerence to Inoue's quirks since he did the writing for the original manga and bits for the anime adaption. His writing tends to be hit or mess for a large portion of people given how divisive his toku work is with people either liking Kabuto and Faiz, to use them as examples, or outright hating them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5