• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tower of God

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flare-kun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:19 pm Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:
Enjoying this so far, but Crunchyroll's insistence on keeping the protagonist's name as Bam, rather than Yoru, is just really annoying. I get that it's the actual name in the original Korean work, but when everyone says one thing, putting something completely different in the subs is just distracting. They might as well have just called him "Night" in the subs.

I think it's because he's called "Bam" in the official English translation of the webtoon and they don't want to alienate the core fanbase. Same reason they changed Non-Regular to Irregular to match the comic.
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Flare-kun wrote:
CrypticPurpose wrote:
Enjoying this so far, but Crunchyroll's insistence on keeping the protagonist's name as Bam, rather than Yoru, is just really annoying. I get that it's the actual name in the original Korean work, but when everyone says one thing, putting something completely different in the subs is just distracting. They might as well have just called him "Night" in the subs.

I think it's because he's called "Bam" in the official English translation of the webtoon and they don't want to alienate the core fanbase. Same reason they changed Non-Regular to Irregular to match the comic.
Especially since a big part of the fandom still goes with the romanisation used by the scantrad before it was officially picked in 2014. A lot of fans still go with Zahard (which funnily is closer to what we hear in the anime that Jahad), Endrossi, Leesoo, etc.

That said, it wouldn't have costed them more to make a second dub with the only change being calling Baam, letting the Yoru version for japanese television and Baam for the crunchyroll version.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I think you underestimate the cost and problems with doing a second dub only altering a few words. Yes, ADR mixing is much easier and sophisticated than it used to be, but anime as an industry operates on thin budgets and tight timelines so it wouldn't make sense until they get to the English dub where they don't have to worry about all that. Then they could call him "night" if the lip movements were close enough.
NobodysDawn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:40 pm Reply with quote
In defense of the art, part one of the manhwa wasn’t all that good either. The art DESIGN was good, but most characters never looked quite right. There was a lot of derp face, particularly for Bam. I think that’s why the art doesn’t bother me much (although later seasons would have to step it up)
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I rather like the art. It's a bit dirty, but that's fine. It's not the pinnacle of spectacle (nothing in Tower of God comes close to the peak sakuga moments of BHA or season 1 One-Punch Man, certainly), but I don't quite understand the complaints about it. It seems more than serviceable to me -- I would call it interesting, a bit different, and more enjoyable to watch than most shows.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:46 am Reply with quote
Against the great tradition of shounen protagonists as audience self-inserts, I was sort of hoping Bam/Youru would continue to be one of two basically Ordinary Guys despite everyone's assumptions to the contrary but here we see he is secretly as special as some like Lady Yuri thought. At least he doesn't know yet. I am tempted to boldly predict that Bam is destined to be the "spoiler" who can make it to the King and undo the tower's rotten system. Also find interesting the reveal that only those who are "contracted" to a ranker/administrator can use Shinsu freely where we have seen at least two contenders in the bunch under Mr. Ro doing this possibly surprising even him. Plus Anaak being a secret out of place Princess (or not?) seems to hint at behind the scenes intrigue among the rankers involving some of the "regulars". Definitely layers to this story...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ignoring the art (it is what it is and it isn't getting better)

You're right - it is what it is, but it won't get "better" because what it is is what they mean for it to look like. The art isn't a failure, it's a style. I realize it's not a style a lot of people like right now and that's fine, (Haikyuu!!'s art style looked pretty wonky too until we grew to love it, and I never got used to Welcome to the Ballroom's giraffe necks, but it's what they wanted), but I wish people would quit acting like they're cutting corners or don't know how to draw or something. I haven't noticed them being off-model a lot yet, unlike a lot of other series.

I'm almost surprised that the girl turned out to actually be Rachel instead of a doppleganger of some sort. Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:05 am Reply with quote
the anime is beter than the mahwa Laughing Cool Razz Embarassed Exclamation Mr. Green
Thaumana

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm from the anime-only camp and I am quite invested so far. With each new episode unfolding new mysteries but also interesting story developments and answers, it is getting quite interesting and makes me want to dive into that curious but refreshing world further.

Since I am a die-hard Hunter X Hunter fan who especially enjoys the narrative style of the author and the way he depicts interactions and dialogues with all the quirky characters and the mysterious complex world full of grey tones, my expectation got bigger when I heard about the reception from the webtoon audience regarding the similarities.

I honestly like the unique style and color palette of the anime. The lineart is kinda rough but nothing what I would associate with "ugly" or "low quality". In fact, I think the visual design gives the whole tower scenery and premise a unique atmosphere with a strong potential for recognition. I hope they won't decide to trivialize and change it into a more common style later like the anime adaptation of Granblue Fantasy once did from season 2 on.

Some observations and questions so far (should be self-explanatory that no elaboration with spoilers from the webtoon is needed):
- It strikes me as odd that the clothing and races of the characters differ so much from each other; especially how some of them look like they are from a modern present time, as if they were from our reality
- Anaak mentioned that she, like Yuri, is a princess with a strange magic sword as well... Sounds like the apparent last-man-standing premise will turn into a game of thrones later.
- Therefore, I couldn't help but wonder if the crown bonus round was some kind of a metaphor for the whole tower race as such.
- Khun's short flashback implies that there are also different branches of noble families involved (like the diverse members of the mysterious Jahad family?) that can possibly lose their high status the moment they lose their right for their inheritance.
- So if his pocket is creating a lot of fake clones of objects that dissolve entirely after a while then what's Rak eating the whole time exactly? Or is that the reason why he's always hungry? Just thought it was his quirk. Is it even possible to get nourishment with cloned food from that pocket at all?

The only aspect that still hasn't convinced me is the plain depiction of the main character. I'm certain that there are still mysteries about him which have yet to be revealed. But I don't like the way he talks and acts and how he seemingly and easily wriggled through every obstacle of the examination so far through the help of others. I noticed, that luck may be a meaningful symbolic element in this story as it was mentioned by the examiner a few episodes earlier, but for me the protagonist has to be an active part of the whole constellation. Just finding a person he is in search of is not enough to motivate me for further investment (especially now that he already found that person).

Despite that, the rest of the story is still intriguing enough, so I can't wait to watch the next episode. I for myself think that this might be another great opportunity to show that interesting anime don't necessarily need to have a source material from Japan to convey good stories which still feel "anime"-like.
Knightlive

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:40 am Reply with quote
Hey,

glad you are enjoying it so far. As you wished, i will not provide any answers to your questions, so don't worry. I am a big fan of HxH and ToG as well and I think if you like one, you will probably like the other! (Given the adaption doesn't take a dive). Although I think ToG is somewhere inbetween HxH and OP for the way it narates its story.

Two quick things for your thoughts:
(1) You should probably call Khuns "pocket" a bag instead. In the terms of the tower of god verse, a pocket is a very specificthing (namely these floating, often invisible balls that they use to translate and show the time and stuff).

(2) Don't worry too much about the main character. At the same time in HxH, Gons motivation is not that complex either, just wanting to find a person (his father) and finding out what motivated him to leave him behind for some other dream. And you know how that one became. I actually am glad for Bam not having the generic goal of becoming "The king of the tower" (like others want to be King of the pirates or Hokage or something).
WingTree#908239

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:26 am Reply with quote
Thaumana wrote:
I'm from the anime-only camp and I am quite invested so far. With each new episode unfolding new mysteries but also interesting story developments and answers, it is getting quite interesting and makes me want to dive into that curious but refreshing world further.

Since I am a die-hard Hunter X Hunter fan who especially enjoys the narrative style of the author and the way he depicts interactions and dialogues with all the quirky characters and the mysterious complex world full of grey tones, my expectation got bigger when I heard about the reception from the webtoon audience regarding the similarities.

I honestly like the unique style and color palette of the anime. The lineart is kinda rough but nothing what I would associate with "ugly" or "low quality". In fact, I think the visual design gives the whole tower scenery and premise a unique atmosphere with a strong potential for recognition. I hope they won't decide to trivialize and change it into a more common style later like the anime adaptation of Granblue Fantasy once did from season 2 on.

Some observations and questions so far (should be self-explanatory that no elaboration with spoilers from the webtoon is needed):
- It strikes me as odd that the clothing and races of the characters differ so much from each other; especially how some of them look like they are from a modern present time, as if they were from our reality
- Anaak mentioned that she, like Yuri, is a princess with a strange magic sword as well... Sounds like the apparent last-man-standing premise will turn into a game of thrones later.
- Therefore, I couldn't help but wonder if the crown bonus round was some kind of a metaphor for the whole tower race as such.
- Khun's short flashback implies that there are also different branches of noble families involved (like the diverse members of the mysterious Jahad family?) that can possibly lose their high status the moment they lose their right for their inheritance.
- So if his pocket is creating a lot of fake clones of objects that dissolve entirely after a while then what's Rak eating the whole time exactly? Or is that the reason why he's always hungry? Just thought it was his quirk. Is it even possible to get nourishment with cloned food from that pocket at all?

The only aspect that still hasn't convinced me is the plain depiction of the main character. I'm certain that there are still mysteries about him which have yet to be revealed. But I don't like the way he talks and acts and how he seemingly and easily wriggled through every obstacle of the examination so far through the help of others. I noticed, that luck may be a meaningful symbolic element in this story as it was mentioned by the examiner a few episodes earlier, but for me the protagonist has to be an active part of the whole constellation. Just finding a person he is in search of is not enough to motivate me for further investment (especially now that he already found that person).

Despite that, the rest of the story is still intriguing enough, so I can't wait to watch the next episode. I for myself think that this might be another great opportunity to show that interesting anime don't necessarily need to have a source material from Japan to convey good stories which still feel "anime"-like.

I'll say i'm also HXH die hard fan and i was devastated when i figured out that HXH realistically ended without a real end.. Luckily a few years later i found another story that could fill the blank, that's tower of god.

I'm not sure about the direction of the adaption tho, they are seems to give their on take on the series which might be more shōnen style than the webtoon. About bam, well he is starting with nothing he knows like the viewers. In the first season he is mostly "just there" for the plot to go on.

Anyway, a few things about your questions/points:

1. The tower is like a planet with plenty of species and different civilizations.

2. Anak's weapon is not a sword(more like a whip), and in the webtoon, nor the black march(a "needle"). It's a weapon series, not swords.

3. Maybe...

4. There are a few important families in the tower. More than this it's a spoiler that will get explain in the next few episodes.

5. not sure tbh..
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:41 pm Reply with quote
The Khun Family is one of the 10 Great Families. While intermarriage between them does occur, they are not branches of the same family.

As for Black March and Green April, they are both part of the '13 Months weapon series, are given out by Jahad, the King of the Tower, to those of his Princesses he thinks should have one -- they are not automatically giving just by being a Jahad Princess. Bam isn't supposed to have one, so everyone is surprised that he does.
TichoSlicer

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
to not think too highly of Rachel

I dropped the webcomic cause of her... I will just say this... ¬¬
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's still not clear to me why Endorsi is the target of Anaak's revenge,
Well Anaak says that the man Anaak's mom married was killed by the princesses, then Anaak's mom passed, so Anaak is carrying out revenge for her on the people with the Jahad name, hence Endorsi, because she is a princess of Jahad.
Flare-kun

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 6:15 pm Reply with quote
TichoSlicer wrote:
Quote:
to not think too highly of Rachel

I dropped the webcomic cause of her... I will just say this... ¬¬

That's silly, spoiler[she always fails in the end anyway. And the comic is pretty awesome right now.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8