• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tower of God

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 2:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm going to add Naruto to the list based on Bam's new wardrobe change alone

Not to mention the contract with the giant toad reptile beast. Smile
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 9:17 am Reply with quote
I'm a show only watcher, but I thought it was pretty clear that Anaak is the original princess (frog)'s daughter, and (she at least thinks) the other princesses killed her mother and that's why she's so angry? So she inherited the magic sword/weapon from her mother and is posing as the princess / her mother (but now the truth is out in the open at least to Endorsi and Khun).
Thaumana

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 12:05 pm Reply with quote
An episode filled with quite a lot world-building information and new hints. Pretty sure that I missed out some details but I already plan to rewatch this season as a whole after the end for a better comprehension.

Since Orsine mentioned Rachel's bad fandom reputation, I wonder... I browsed through some threads from other communities just to compare my perception with other anime-only viewers and stumbled over a lot of hateful impressions towards Rachel from the webtoon readership too. At this point it is still hard to understand where it might come from since she seems like an average mysterious well-disposed but aloof girl to me. Even in regards of her request to Khun to lie on her behalf I still thinks it may come from consideration since her presence could cause some kind of danger for Bam for whatever reason. This act alone doesn't make her a bad person by default. Nevertheless, it's impossible to overlook the predominantly negative comments about her so I will stay on guard.

Speaking of Rachel, that 'vision' or dream gave rise to some questions. Not sure if that was just intended to be some kind of metaphor that she will 'lose Bam' due to his growing circle of new friends.

Apart from that the visual language of this episode was really capturing once again. I love how all the sections and floors of the tower can vary in style.

Knightlive wrote:

(1) You should probably call Khuns "pocket" a bag instead. In the terms of the tower of god verse, a pocket is a very specificthing (namely these floating, often invisible balls that they use to translate and show the time and stuff).

Oh yeah, what a coincidence and they already have been introduced as such. Well, bag would be the term which fits the concept better anyway I guess.

Quote:

Don't worry too much about the main character. At the same time in HxH, Gons motivation is not that complex either, just wanting to find a person (his father) and finding out what motivated him to leave him behind for some other dream. And you know how that one became.

Of course there is still enough room for development. Still, although Gon stayed true to his apparently simpleminded self through the end he was still a character who often takes action that earns his friend's respect. That's what I'm currently missing concerning Bam which makes it also a bit hard to relate with the other characters why they feel so attracted to him. For example when they were pointing out how much luck he has by letting him get off with all the conflicts and fights here and there. It's like giving a person some bills and then noting how rich they are.

WingTree#908239 wrote:

I'll say i'm also HXH die hard fan and i was devastated when i figured out that HXH realistically ended without a real end

._. Let me still hope and dream.
At this point I have no interest to read the webtoon yet, although I'm pretty sure that I will as soon as this airing season finds an end. It's great that also well-known youtubers with a big reach like Gigguk cast an eye on Tower of God and other webtoons. I hope that this medium gets more attention in the anime industry in general. There are so many other great non-japanese stories to uncover that has the potential for a good anime adaptation.

Quote:

The tower is like a planet with plenty of species and different civilizations.

So all the locations in the flashback of several characters, like the rural area in Anaak's memory, are part of the tower as well?

The new reveals about the purpose of all the Jahad princesses were quite interesting. I wonder if all the talk about making them some sort of brand-name product for a showcase to demonstrate their families power also means that they are actually the 'dispensable' members from their respective families. It reminds me of the speech by Hokage during the chunin examination arc when he told the participants that this event is like a substitute war between the nations.

All in all it always takes me entirely on surprise how quickly the 25 minutes of the new episodes can pass. Damn! >.<
WingTree#908239

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 12:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
For example when they were pointing out how much luck he has by letting him get off with all the conflicts and fights here and there. It's like giving a person some bills and then noting how rich they are.

Are you referring to Lero Ro speech about how luck is important to climb the tower? He talked about the philosophical side of luck, not just the luck of the current events and missions. For example, he mentioned the sort of luck to be born with advantages(with strong body, or exceptionally smart).

Different example, in HXH, it's that luck that Gon and Killua happen to be born to special families and able to use nen when 99% of the HXH population can't. Of course, it's like with (almost) any other shōnen protagonist and his companions.

And if you are talking about at the beginning(episode 1) with Yuri, expect being born insanely special being irregular, luck wasn't necessarily a thing there. Every event after was direct or indirect consequence of him being that special irregular thing.
Sure some things there are open to interpretation, some things are spoilers, and some things we are still not knowing enough of.

Quote:
At this point I have no interest to read the webtoon yet, although I'm pretty sure that I will as soon as this airing season finds an end. It's great that also well-known youtubers with a big reach like Gigguk cast an eye on Tower of God and other webtoons.

Yeah i agree, but i don't like people hyping too much Webtoons. TOG is a gem of one in hundreds/thousands of other Webtoons/Manhwa. That been said there are some cool action base stories from them that i look forward to see them getting adapted, and generally the more sources for an anime adaptation the more chances to get gems.

Quote:
So all the locations in the flashback of several characters, like the rural area in Anaak's memory, are part of the tower as well?

Yes, anyone who is not irregular are being born in the outer area or the middle area of the tower.

Last edited by WingTree#908239 on Wed May 13, 2020 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pidgeot18

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:10 am Reply with quote
WingTree#908239 wrote:
Different example, in HXH, it's that luck that Gon and Killua happen to be born to special families and able to use nen when 99% of the HXH population can't. Of course, it's like with (almost) any other shōnen protagonist and his companions.

In Hunter × Hunter, Gon and Killua's first nen teacher explicitly calls Gon and Killua 1-in-a-million people.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:50 pm Reply with quote
WingTree#908239 wrote:
I'll say i'm also HXH die hard fan and i was devastated when i figured out that HXH realistically ended without a real end..

“Hunter x Hunter” was Gon's life show. The only real story was Gon wanting to meet his dad. spoiler[Which he did.] The only real end the show could have is Gon's death or end it on a happy note in Gon's life. Personally, I wouldn't want a depressing Wolverine type ending, showing Gon's last months of life.

Thaumana wrote:
Speaking of Rachel, that 'vision' or dream gave rise to some questions. Not sure if that was just intended to be some kind of metaphor that she will 'lose Bam' due to his growing circle of new friends.

Or is it guilt for having left him behind. There are a lot of question marks about Rachel. Makes one think that Rachel has a death wish, and a trip to the top of the tower to see the stars is the final entry on her bucket list.

Perhaps the hate for Rachel stems that there is another reason Rachel wants to get to the top of the tower and the reason Rachel took such a interest in Bam. Usually, you would turn such people over to the town or village authorities for their disposition or help. So little we know from that short snippet in the first episode.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Endorsi really needs to choose another pair of shoes next time she fights!

No kidding. I groaned when the same weakness was her downfall again. By itself, it just seems stupid, but coupled with the "shoes that must never be worn" analogy, the message landed about as gracefully as Endorsi.

The new game seems more like "Capture the Flag" than tag. And it's really not clear at all that the two teams are competing at different times, if they are. I'm still not quite sure what was going on there, so for once I'm looking hopefully for a recap at next episode's start that might be more straightforward.

@WingTree: why do you care if people hype Webtoons? Sure, there's a lot of crap, but so what? There are a lot of good series too, with some extraordinary art (Love Advice from the Great Duke of Hell is hilarious and great to look at (though its unique artwork might not translate to anime very well), and The Red King is intriguing and gorgeous, and could well be anime-worthy). I really like the easy-to-read format and that most are in color, since it's really work for me to read b/w manga because my vision sucks. With most manga, especially action shounen, I have a real hard time telling what I'm looking at.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:51 pm Reply with quote
As an FYI: Endorsi never again wears high heel shoes in the webnovel. Razz

She may be arrogant, but she's not stupid.
WingTree#908239

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
@WingTree: why do you care if people hype Webtoons? Sure, there's a lot of crap, but so what?

Causing too much expectation, which might leading to unnecessary backlash.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 12:02 am Reply with quote
Just took in the English dub and have to say Rachel's VA did some fine work as did everyone except Mr. Bosch who was nearly Renton several times. Not that he did a bad job per se, he just seems to not have the range to pull off a voice much different from that one and it caused some character whiplash. Almost expected to hear him whine "this sucks..." when Rachel disappeared. Rak's VA took a different road from the Japanese and I wonder how his suave delivery will work in other contexts. Op and Ed have been redone in English by the Korean group which was a welcome surprise, seems someone spared no expense.

A random thought based on Lady Yuri's surprise that the Black March never talked to her (I think, "Anaak" said that as well though) or lent her her strength. I had been wondering how it was that she so easily lent what was obviously a legendary sword out to a complete stranger. I think it may be that she never used the Black March much if at all and she considered it about useless anyway. Which also begs the question why Zahad would grant a sword who only talks to "handsome men" and gives them power to "Princesses" (women)?
Gonbawa

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:59 am Reply with quote
I really like "Tower of God" more and more. At the start I thought it was going to be another battle-royal-like show (I hate battle royal animes). But it's far richer than that and full of surprises.
The colorful species and varied civilizations (Babel tower?) and diversity of the vividly painted backgrounds are a fest for the eye. I think that the art and chara design is a strong point here. There's no 18 years old girl that looks like 12 something with big boobs (No moeblob!). The design is almost 80's with more modern colors (hey revisited 80's style is totally modern, the same way vinyl discs and vintage analog synths are the new trend).
The direction is good : the fights are better choreographed than in most animes, and events like little Annak separating from her mother are well done (the way she comes back two times, like a child would realistically do, killed me). Last but not least : the music and sounds effects are great : they put a lot of weight in every key moment. For example when Bam signs a contract with a shinsu administrator the scenery is very static but the sounds are impressive.
All in all, Tower of God anime feels like it was taken very seriously by the production staff, and doesn't feel cheap at all.

As for the names that differ between the japanese dub and the subtitles, I think it's the Japaneses fault ! The way they don't want to keep the Chinese or Korean kanji pronouncing, and translate them in japanese is borderline racist : They did the same with series like "Spirit Sword Mountain" (protagonists names Wang Lu - - > Oriku, Wang Wu--> Obuh, etc !...) It is a good thing that Crunchyroll kept the original names : I won't be lost when I jump in the manhua, right after the end of the anime series !
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I'll second the love! Ep2 English dub is in and I like all the choices and performances. Rak's VA works the braggadocio dialog to good effect, not too much not too little. Still a fan of Ms Valenzuela here, was afraid we'd hear Homura...Anaak's biggest test is yet to come but Ms. Leigh does well here...As for Ep8, talk about a bunch of twists but all are reasonable and interconnected so they don't come off as random. Writing shines...
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I like the show... but, when its supposed to become better than HXH?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the importance of the exam, think of it as being the Final for a class: it is important, but if you already have excellent grades, then you can fail the Final and still pass the class.
dandon223

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:27 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I like the show... but, when its supposed to become better than HXH?

About now it would be better if they did not change and cut so much content. They cut entire fight during Crown game so ,yeah.
I still dont understand how can you cut fights in anime about fights. xD
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8