• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma: The Fifth Plate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:36 pm Reply with quote
You'd think that instead of denigrating him, they might think he'd have an "unfair" advantage in such a challenge, as being a former culinary peon he'd be more familiar with convenience store items, and as a diner chef he'd be used to creating great meals from less than the finest top quality ingredients.

I wanted to know what Megumi and Takumi made too.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Yeah this whole arc suffers from the fact that our eternal underdog cast just...aren't that, anymore. They beat the most revered/feared young chefs of their Totsuki generation in a super public spectacle and have undeniably achieved the highest echelons of success within the school that is widely respected in-universe as the center of culinary education, partially through impressing 2 judges who were a) respected members of the group that manages the BLUE and b) were heavily weighted against them anyway.

But I think the creators realized the characters defending their perch from newcomers just isn't as compelling, so they bend over backwards or just make up reasons why the Noir, a loosely organized group of no-names are suddenly the favorites. All so Soma and the other new Elite 10 characters can still surprise people when they win.
Mavado

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sarge, the Noir chef with the chainsaw (and apparently nothing else by way of implements except for a pair of tweezers)
Don't forget the sledgehammer and explosives.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:02 am Reply with quote
What I'm having trouble with this episode, aside from the ludicrous implements and cartoony evil chefs, is the idea that these main course chefs are all equally elite pastry chefs as well. That's like asking a world class violinist to compete as a concert pianist. The whole body of knowledge, ingredients and techniques are completely different. Plus Soma said himself he barely knew how to make a cake. I'm not buying any of this.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:04 am Reply with quote
Well, you have to admit that using a chainsaw would get a lot of churn going (if you didn't mind a little CHAIN OIL in the mix for flava). Confused
Dextres

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Back in Mangastream days, this type of stuff was the norm.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
This week, Joichiro lays out his training regimen to Erina's grandfather, relaying how he kept giving his son ever more impossible tasks around the diner from his sixth grade onwards so that Soma would essentially have the same power as Asahi, but entirely dependent on himself. That could very well make Soma the more powerful of the two, because he doesn't have to rely on stolen, or "borrowed," tools; he just has to tap into the wealth of knowledge that his father meticulously fostered within him.

spoiler[Congratulations, you just figured out how the final battle plays out. Granted, it's not a stretch to reach this conclusion for anyone who has been around the shounen block. Everyone reading the manga immediately deduced the obvious hole in Asahi's seemingly "invincible" Cross Knives, and it is yet another reason why this arc is a slog and no one likes it.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:01 am Reply with quote
It wasn't quite clear - does he have to actually use those utensils to employ Crossed Knives or merely handle them once to gain those skills? Because he already owns the knife of Joichiro, whom Soma has never beaten yet, and he's handled Soma's knife. That combo alone should make him invincible, even though of course it won't.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:25 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It wasn't quite clear - does he have to actually use those utensils to employ Crossed Knives or merely handle them once to gain those skills?

I thought he had to use them, but at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just handling them.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It wasn't quite clear - does he have to actually use those utensils to employ Crossed Knives or merely handle them once to gain those skills?

I thought he had to use them, but at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just handling them.

He can only use a tool's ability when he wields it to cook. Otherwise, he would not have a reason to keep them all on hand & at the ready.
Alex_Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:31 am Reply with quote
I think the introduction of true supernatural power (in Asahi's ability) is a sign of approching creative bankruptcy. Still I guess taking things to ridiculous extremes as the story proceeds is one of the marks of shounen storytelling. Cooking power 1,000,000!
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I've read the manga and now I feel bad for anime only watchers.

The final arc is literal garbage and it is such a shame since season 1 - 4 is really good but season 5 is such a terrible way to end the series
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I dropped this anime the second episode into season three. Due to the whole thing feeling off. From reading the comments it seems I made the right choice. I would collect seasons one and two and pretend it ended! Sort of like aliens after the second movie! The whole theme of season three is whack!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I liked this episode for just two reasons. It was great seeing what a fun mom Soma had, and I loved her philosophy of cooking. Basically, enjoy trying new things and who cares if it turns out crappy if you learned something doing it. Granted, if you're on a tight budget, you can't really afford to waste food on inedible creations, but the approach is still valid for most people.

Second was finally learning how Soma got his scar. Very Happy He seemed to have failed to absorb the lesson that people are more important than ingredients, but I suppose he's figured that out over the years.
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Apparently the reason this arc was so s****y was because the food consultant went on maternity leave so Tsukuda did things his way and clearly took inspiration from Cooking Master Boy in this season. The Central and Team Shokugeki arc suffered from arc fatigue in the manga and the anime rushed the last parts of those arcs to hell but it told a much better story and had more realistic cooking at least.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4