• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma: The Fifth Plate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sorry, Azami, you don't get a pass because you were “trying to save” Erina and Mana; you still abused your daughter.

Yeah, that attempt at a redemption for Azami made me feel very stabby.

One thing I really enjoyed about Soma's mom is how she overturns countless series that buy into the "girl thinks her near-lethal cooking is great" joke and all its variations, from "knows her cooking is lethal and desperately seeks to improve" to "must learn to cook to be a good wife." Ugh. Tamako doesn't care that her cooking is often terrible, she's just enjoying experimenting to see what happens and no one has to hide their gagging from her and she doesn't feel bad about failing. To her it's not even failure. So it's fun for everyone!
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I like how the anime decided to properly introduce Tamako here as opposed to the manga where she was just introduced in the 3 part epilogue after BLUE ended. The question is whether the anime will adapt those epilogue chapters too
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:33 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
I have to say I like how the anime decided to properly introduce Tamako here as opposed to the manga where she was just introduced in the 3 part epilogue after BLUE ended. The question is whether the anime will adapt those epilogue chapters too

For anime-only viewers' sake, I hope not. For as much as the rest of this arc is lousy, those epilogue chapters (especially spoiler[the second one]) are both worse and more pointless.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:58 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:

That will depend on whether this season is 12 or 13 episodes long. Even if 12 is the last one, the epilogue could be adapted as an extra OVA episode, I guess.
Kuzu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If she does win, it's going to look awfully like Mana favored her own child over the actual best based on the precedent the series has spent episodes establishing.

Speaking of precedent, it looks as if Erina's parents had a very similar dynamic to she and Soma. We saw how well that worked out, so if she and Soma are smart they'll head for the hills before becoming romantically involved with each other. That's more of an observation than any assumption about what's coming next week, though; what actually remains to be seen is whether the story reneges on its established lore.

lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
How it's used in the final episode will ultimately determine whether Food Wars really means it, though.

Oh don't worry, Food Wars definitely means it when it comes to family Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:45 pm Reply with quote
On the one hand, it seems like Soma will win because he's the title character and all. But on the other hand, it seems like the story wants Erina to be the one to meet her mother's hopes and expectations. Soma really doesn't have much to gain by winning, other than the title, since he's pretty much beaten all the competition at one point or another and won the important match over Asahi. Whereas Erina has a world and a future to gain. So I guess I hope she wins once Soma gives her the appropriate attitude adjustment, as he is wont to do.

Btw, did I detect a suggestion that Asahi might be Azami's illegitimate son? I have a hard enough time imagining him having one kid with Mana, let alone an illicit one, but if that's not what they were on about, I don't know what they were getting at.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Huh, guess I wasn't imagining things after all. They sure were circumspect about actually saying it out loud though. Euphemisms ahoy! oO

Otherwise, it pretty much turned out exactly as I predicted, which is weird, because I'm usually way off base. I think that just shows how crappy an ending it was. Smile
Dextres

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I recieved a different outcome from all of this, up to it finale.

Yes I was fairly cautious about talks of Food wars fifth plate was going to be a "trainwreck" or something for the worse, it actually turned out pretty enjoyable by the people that work on these episodes even though their is a global pandemic affecting people lives as we speak.

What i'm saying is this, I came into this last season as skeptic and hesistant on it "rumored fire trash of a series in the late stages of it source material" and found it to be comfortable to digest and watch without much need to throw up on the NTR elements.

As an Anime-only, this was a decent enjoyable finale at best ( as an objective watcher of the show).

I'm looking foward to re-watching the previous 3rd plate, 4th plate to get more context on some of the content I missed out on while MENTALLY preparing myself for 5 Plate.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:08 pm Reply with quote
As someone who read the manga and hated the final arc. Seeing it animated form made me hate it even more.

It's worst than Bleach's final arc
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:32 pm Reply with quote
I am also an anime only consumer and did not plan to watch season 5. But I gave in, and it was not as horrible as I feared. C grade from me.
Kuzu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:33 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am also an anime only consumer and did not plan to watch season 5. But I gave in, and it was not as horrible as I feared. C grade from me.

C is pretty much what it deserves.

Its just that magna readers expected better.
WizardOfOss

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:02 am Reply with quote
I hadn't finished the manga yet, but based on what I had heard about it and also considering the whole Central-arc my expectations for this season were pretty low. And for most part rightfully so, as a whole this was easily the worst season of the series. That said, I do feel the last few episodes managed to somewhat salvage this season after all of the Noir-garbage, and prevented me from leaving this series with a bad taste in my mouth.

I really didn't mind we didn't get to see Erinas dish. Considering she won it must have been the ultimate dish the world has never seen, therefore it feels fitting the world doesn't get to see it. No matter what they would have come up with, it would have disappointed. Just use your own imagination. Also I don't think it even mattered how she won, or even if she won. This final battle was about letting Erina find joy again in cooking, instead of feeling it as a burden.
(though that does still leave us with the issue of Soma being so upset about his loss)

Also I don't think the whole Nakiri family coming together was meant as showing it as one big happy family where everything is forgiven and forgotten, but more as a new start of a troubled family with lots of work to do. At least for now they are not running away for their problems, as they did before.

And ending it all with an "improved" gross squid dish was obviously the only way to go Very Happy

All in all it was far from great, but I feel it could have ended a lot worse. That said, I wouldn't mind a remake where most of what happened after the Moon Festival gets completely rewritten....
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:03 am Reply with quote
Everyone pretty much covered everything else so I want to touch on the romance part a little bit. Since the very beginning the series has had this tiny sub-plot established by Joichiro about "finding someone you want to cook for." The implication of that was always about falling in love with someone, the one person in the world you specifically want to cook for. And that person for Soma is Erina. While Erina's feelings are more obvious, Soma obviously focuses on his passion first and foremost, so he doesn't really show how he feels straight up. His feelings are in his cooking, and perhaps he's upset at his loss because Erina's dish was better than his and he knows he couldn't make anything better. But that's also why he wants to cook for her. She's the one person he hasn't beaten, and the one person he will always strive to satisfy and make her say his dish is delicious, and she's the only person he REALLY wants to hear that from. Skip to the Le Dessert epilogue chapters and at the very end Soma returns from a five year trip having learned a lot on his own journey, just like his father, sits down at his restaurant, and thinks about who he wants to cook for, and the person who comes to mind, is Erina. His part in the romance is more subtle and downplayed, but it's there.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
His part in the romance is more subtle and downplayed, but it's there.

In the manga, but not in the anime, which is the complaint. "Read the manga" never excuses any lapses in the anime. Even if the anime had this "tiny sub-plot," it's not enough if it can only be fully understood if you've read the manga and know what you're looking for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4