• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Show Plans Season 2, Teases Yoko Kanno's Music

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoonStar9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:32 pm Reply with quote
As much as I am interested in this show, the casting leaves me in utter confusion. I hope this doesn't blow up in their faces.
Shinji Paradox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm fine with the case. Just as long as they can act and and make the characters believable then I'm fine. I know a lot people are complaining about the cast choice, especially Jet, to be honest Mustapha Shakir is a great actor, he was great in The Deuce. I'm just hoping this show have a great story, awesome music, and some good action.
Aresef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:09 am Reply with quote
Oh? Color me even more intrigued. I hope John Cho is healing up well!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:25 am Reply with quote
If they can get Yoko Kanno, if nothing else, this will have a good soundtrack.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Otaku-sempai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:36 am Reply with quote
Good news about Yoko Kanno. Am I right in guessing that we won't see young Ed until Season 2?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
And as it stands, there’s no real reason to go longer than 26 episodes anyhow.

The live action TV series doesn't have to follow the depressing end of the anime. I don't believe there was any catchet to how it ended. Nothing would be ruined, if the live action moves beyond 26 episodes. Also, the live action will be hour long episodes.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I guess I haven't been paying attention to the right nerd-rage.

GuruBuckaroo wrote:
I don't really have a problem with Spike. Not my #1 choice, but still. The one I do have a problem with is Jet. There is no other actor who could carry off a live-action Jet Black like Ron Perlman.

What, 20 years ago? The nerd world has to stop fantasy casting him in any gruff tough guy role, He's 70!

Problems with the cast? None- zero, zilch.
Cho, stud.
I swear, the first time I ever even considered casting a live action CB in my head Jet = tough, smart, black actor. Duh.
Faye... the actress's biggest role so far: hot ex-marine. There's an issue there?

Ed's actress will be over 18 and will probably be depicted at around that age- just come to terms with that now. Any imagined loli-casting will not happen. I would not be surprised if the casting reflects the gender confusion of the character's name.
That's not even edgy overtly PC casting- it's in the script.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Why anyone would give Netflix credit at this point is beyond me. Death Note was awful, The Witcher was awful too.

John Cho is a terrible choice. Shakir can possibly make it work. I doubt Pineda can based on her past acting credits. And like it or not, the look is part of a character. Just think about Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter. The look of the characters is part of the aesthetic of the show. Part of the reason the adapations are beloved are the pitch perfect casting choices and the overall aesthetic.

If you want to do a reimagining that's fine, but if you just cover the same story beats and try to ape the exact same characters you're bound to fail because the original already did it better. Most live action adaptations even fail in Japan for this reason.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, was hoping but never really thought it'd be possible that we'd get Yoko Kanno music for this. Hope that ends up the case. That's the dream.
Looking forward to the show, hope it ends up good.

GuruBuckaroo wrote:
I still wanna know who they're getting to play the three old guys. Might I suggest Donald Sutherland, James Earl Jones, and Gene Hackman?

LOL

penguintruth wrote:
If they can get Yoko Kanno, if nothing else, this will have a good soundtrack.

This. No idea how this will turn out and hope it ends up good but already something good will be coming from this if she's involved.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:59 pm Reply with quote
#907571 wrote:
Why anyone would give Netflix credit at this point is beyond me. Death Note was awful, The Witcher was awful too.

John Cho is a terrible choice. Shakir can possibly make it work. I doubt Pineda can based on her past acting credits. And like it or not, the look is part of a character. Just think about Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter. The look of the characters is part of the aesthetic of the show. Part of the reason the adapations are beloved are the pitch perfect casting choices and the overall aesthetic.

Plenty of very unfaithful casting choices are popular, just look at a lot of Marvel and DC movie casting. And it's not like LOTR and Harry Potter didn't take quite a few liberties with certain casting choices. Hermione is suppose to be very dorky and homely in the books, but they cast Emma Watson as her and dolled her up as she got older rather than purposely trying to downplay her beauty. Trying to pass Emma Watson off as some unpopular nerd girl by does not work at all.

Cowboy Bebop's casting is pretty typical Americanized. The cast is mostly Asian, and while they kept Spike as Asian, Jet and Faye aren't Asian anymore, and Ed probably won't be either. It's kind of inevitable when it comes to American anime adaptions.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:42 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
So production on season one is STILL on hold and they already greenlit a season two? They did this without seeing the reception AND after the mess that was the Death Note adaptation? Sigh. Can we please let fantastic animation stay animated? I don't understand how they plan to keep the sense of style Cowboy Bebop has in live action, as the aesethic was largely due to the art style... something realistic CGI can't mimick.

If the people handling the production of an adaptation paid any heed to negative fan reception of an adaptation no adaptation would ever get made. You just roll the dice and see what you get with stuff like this.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:00 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
So production on season one is STILL on hold and they already greenlit a season two? They did this without seeing the reception AND after the mess that was the Death Note adaptation? Sigh. Can we please let fantastic animation stay animated? I don't understand how they plan to keep the sense of style Cowboy Bebop has in live action, as the aesethic was largely due to the art style... something realistic CGI can't mimick.

Just because one thing is bad and ill received, doesn't mean something similar will get the same reception. There are too many variables to say either way.

As to style, nothing is impossible. Where there is the will, there is a way. After all we put men on the moon, that was impossible once also.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2