• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 Anime Reveals New Clip, Confirms 2nd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:59 am Reply with quote
Haven't seen the visuals yet, but the story will have to be classic GITS and good, if the visuals are that bad as posters have been saying.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:11 pm Reply with quote
It's not that bad, but it feel like it's more appropriate for a cheap one season kids show than a gits season. I mean, can you really look at the sequence of the trailer from 0:40 to 0:48 sec and tell me this doesn't look like the absolute cheapest CG they could have done?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:46 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
It's not that bad, but it feel like it's more appropriate for a cheap one season kids show than a gits season. I mean, can you really look at the sequence of the trailer from 0:40 to 0:48 sec and tell me this doesn't look like the absolute cheapest CG they could have done?

I rewatched that segment, but I’m still not sure what you mean. What is it that makes it look cheap to you?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:

Btw, any word if they're bringing the original dub cast back? I'm fine with it either way, but...that original cast really brings back memories.
I'm not sure why Netflix hasn't posted it on their official YouTube or Twitter account yet but they did post a dub trailer on their site and it seems most of the main cast is back though there's not a full cast list yet. I'm really excited to hear Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as Motoko again. That dub cast was perfect.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:42 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
meiam wrote:

I rewatched that segment, but I’m still not sure what you mean. What is it that makes it look cheap to you?

The motion is wrong. I get the impression that the Major's body is supposed to be "floating in cyberspace", yet all we see is a static model move downward, then we see it rotate around a single fixed point (her hips). The motion isn't natural, it's too simplified. It should be bobbing up and down slightly to give the "floating" feel, and it also looks like the point that she's rotating about is not her center of mass which looks odd as well.

I'm going to agree with most others here and say that the CG continues to look cheap. I don't have a problem with the character designs; I think that Kushinov's stills look fantastic in fact, but the CG does not move well. It's the same cheap clunky motion that we got in the first trailer. I'm still going to give it a whirl and hopefully the plot will redeem it, but I'm not holding my breath on the art.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:42 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
meiam wrote:

The incredibly stiff movement? Both when major drop (0:41-0:43) and most of the rotation (0:45-0:48) are literally done using just one model with no variation, the kind of stuff you can do in power point, it just feel like a cheap plastic doll being moved around.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:47 pm Reply with quote
It still looks better than most of Polygon's stuff.
Shinigami-Seishou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm trying to love it, but it feels so lifeless and dead.

I would have also been more on board with it, if Yoko was returning to make the music.

Without the music, it doesn't feel like GITS. I still might try to watch this, but I already dislike a lot of CG and this feels on the low end of a obscure Japanese video game on sale at the trade store.
TexZero

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It still looks better than most of Polygon's stuff.

It can look like the best CGI ever, the problem isn't the CGI despite what people claim.

The problem is that it's the wrong style for the show. It makes it hard for people who grew up with it to get invested because those aren't the characters you know, they're 3rd rate dollar store knock-offs.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:45 pm Reply with quote
This was always at least a 2 season show. The directors should also switch places after 12 eps.
Just 3 more sleeps and then we judge. Looks fairly good so far and I grew fully accustomed to this style. Not perfect but still nice looking and IG clearly put money behind this.
Let´s see if GitS can still make money (or drive views in this case) as that has been a bit of a problem since SAC S02 and the flop of Innocence. And all the other flops and non-starters. I wonder if that Arise film made money. What a mess this non-canon is...

There is no "correct" art style to GitS. Even SAC kept switching things around (it was further based on Man-Machine Interface... until it wasn´t) and the anime even switched the lead character designer after S01. Its spin-off can´t keep one style either and the OG manga has like 3 art styles at once on way too many pages. Outside of the fact that 1.5, 1.75 and 2.0 all look different and none of these can keep a coherent style within themselves either.

GitS is lastly Seinen. Always was. The core demographic can´t "grow up" on this as it is already fully grown.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
scowler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Is SAC Season 1, Season 2, Solid State Society available on streaming, if you live in the US?
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Terrible-looking CGI aside* my main issue with this show is that based on the plot summary it doesn't really seem like it actually has anything of value to say. Throughout its two seasons and Solid State Society, GITS:SAC went quite a long way to explore the concept of "human" and what, if anything, lies beyond that - from full-body cyborgs like the Major or Kuze to natively digital but conscious existences like the Tachikoma or the Puppeteer, to the originally human refugees who uploaded their consciousness to the cloud (whatever reallly happened to them), or humans who have died but part of their consciousness lives on in their cyberbrains, let alone the biodroid Proto who had been criminally underutilized in 2nd Gig, there's a whole bunch of beings who may not be flesh and blood humans but who are in some ways either still human or equal to humans because they also have that something (a ghost - a soul, a consciousness) that makes humans "special".

And now this SAC 2045 is all "blah blah blah emergence of beings called post-humans who have enhanced physical and mental capabilities"... really? Really? After all the things GITS:SAC Gigs 1-2 and the movie explored, this is where they decided to take the story? Come the hell on.

*As for the animation I think it looks terrible, and not even near on the same level as say, Beastars. I won't even talk about how the designs are jarring (the Major looks like she wondered here from a completely different show) or how the hair looks like they're wearing hair-shaped helmets, or how the faces are like masks, stiff and expressionless - for me it's basically the lack of actual working physics, of a lack of better word. It's the all-too-familiar problem where CGI elements don't seem like they have a weight, don't seem like they can exert actual force. A character grabs something and you see the fingers just kind of curling around the item instead of actually gripping it. They jump but there's no momentum or strength or weight behind it, they just kinda float up. The dude in the mech in this clip is supposed to be physically struggling but you only know that because he groans, otherwise he's lifeless and static (except that languid swat of his arm), with a face that doesn't have any expression. And so on. And this is what makes the animation here feel cheap and borderline unwatchable, at least to me.

Last edited by SHD on Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:25 pm; edited 4 times in total
sdsichero
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't really like the look of the new series.

There were more posters released than in the article
https://twitter.com/NetflixJP_Anime/status/1251345065856782336
chronos02

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:29 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:

No, Netflix doesn't ask for that. It's the directors who make that decision.

I think the reason why plenty of these Netflix commissioned shows/movies are produced in CG is because:
1. Japanese animation studios have only recently opened up to full-CG productions after years of staying away from it.
2. To try something different. It's nice to have some variety instead of all productions being in 2D.
3. The master files delivery deadlines for Netflix seem to be much more flexible (since they take everything in binge-watchable chunks), which allows for the animation studios to do full-CG productions and still turn in something professional on time. The extremely tight deadlines for Japanese TV networks and the cheaper budgets for TV animation just doesn't mesh well with the nature of CG animation, which is much more expensive and time-consuming. That's why the vast majority of anime produced for a linear TV broadcast uses 2D animation.

Netflix is already known to specifically ask for this stuff, every single show they have labelled as "Netflix Original" is full 3DCG.
And no, Directors do NOT make the call for 3D CG in the production of animation, that is decided by the production committee, they are the ones in charge of selecting the studio that will handle the creation of the animation, they also select the director as well as many other roles, such as the VA director and main cast.
In this case, though we don't have access to the decision tree, we can assume Netflix received a new project pitch by either Sola DA or Production IG for a new GITS anime, after the "success" (since we don't have numbers) of Ultraman on Netflix, but asked the project to be handled in 3DCG because of cheaper costs associated with 3DCG and that the previous show was sorta ok in terms of criticism. I'm quite sure Production IG and Kamiyama protested to the idea of a full 3DCG production with sound arguments like the fans getting enranged and potentially killing the franchise, but were otherwise silenced by a lack of funds if they wanted to keep the project alive, and that they had a bit of confidence to pull it off seeing their past experience (Appleseed projects among others), at least Sola DA can handle the CG work and Kamiyama is part of the board of directors in it, so everything is kept close together instead of spreading thin.

Also, regarding your points...

1: Wrong, Japanese studios have been opened to full 3D CG productions for decades, Sola DA, the studio handling the project has tackled stuff since Appleseed with Aramaki at the helm, and the stuff is OLD. You can also trace back a lot other shows dating to the early 2000s made in full 3DCG. Also note the "3DCG" I'm using, because full CG animation has been a thing for even longer, with all-digital productions being made in the mid to late 90s, the original GITS 1995 being an example of mixed production, 3D models and 3D animation aside, all the composition, as well as inserted animations and many other things were handled digitally with Digital Generated Animation or DGA, one of the early and reliable methods of using computers to handle a lot of the work. The fact Netflix is commissioning so many 3DCG shows is not because of Japan's "recent" adoption, but because of some other objectives, such as the more realistic -it doesn't look like chinese cartoons- many of the people around Netflix's decision making likely thought to themselves and noticed that 3DCG is able to reach a wider audience, albeit not the one that anime is aimed at.

2: It's definitely not to try something different, if that were the case the aesthetics of the 3DCG shows in Netflix's "Originals" that stem from Japanese studios would have been vastly different, however, what we have seen is that the aesthetics are almost identical between all the shows, the recent GITS included. And no, I'm not talking about character design, but everything else related to 3DCG: shaders, illumination, animation, etc.

3: 3DCG is less time consuming and much more flexible than traditional 2D animation by a HUGE, HUGE margin, changes can be made on the fly, edits right before airing, and everything from lip synch to lighting can be changed with the flip of a button. Preparatory work is also much faster and agile. You also only need to create specific hero assets for the show, everything else can come from a library and used as-is for stuff on the background, and slightly edited for more noticeable things or others that have more screen time. Also, 3DCG productions are far cheaper than traditional animation ones, require far less people and is much more controllable because of this, besides the obvious benefits of space, equipment, etc.
Also, the all-at-once practice Netflix has might actually be quite problematic for studios that are used for weekly deliveries, it might seem good, but this essentially means the production switches from a TV show one to a movie style production, with everything this entails (single payment, good cost control, adequate accounting, etc. something animation studios aren't exactly well known for, with many going bankrupt because of these very reasons). At least Sola DA is used to making movies, so it might not be a big deal for them, which is also most likely one of the reasons Netflix has a deal with them and Production IG.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
every single show they have labelled as "Netflix Original" is full 3DCG
This is demonstrably not true.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3