• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 Anime Reveals New Clip, Confirms 2nd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Who Is This Guy!? wrote:

Btw, any word if they're bringing the original dub cast back? I'm fine with it either way, but...that original cast really brings back memories.
I'm not sure why Netflix hasn't posted it on their official YouTube or Twitter account yet but they did post a dub trailer on their site and it seems most of the main cast is back though there's not a full cast list yet. I'm really excited to hear Mary Elizabeth McGlynn as Motoko again. That dub cast was perfect.

Oh hell yes! I hadn't seen or heard that news. That's wonderful if so, I agree that dub cast was perfect.

Edit: Thanks to your post I just searched for it to see and found the trailer, I agree it totally sounds like they're back Smile Heard at least McGlynn's Motoko and Knight's Aramaki in there, as well as what sounded to me like one of the several SAC dub Tachikoma VAs for that one's one word in the trailer, so I would imagine the rest of the team's voices are likely back too even though they didn't have any lines in the trailer. This made my day.
chronos02

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Quote:
every single show they have labelled as "Netflix Original" is full 3DCG
This is demonstrably not true.

I don't mean all the shows labelled as such, but the ones that actually are Netflix Originals: those made for Netflix, not exclusively licensed to them for the international market, I should have clarified that.

An example of a fake Netflix Original: Violet Evergarden
An example of a real Netflix original: Mushikago no Kagaster
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:43 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:

Edit: Thanks to your post I just searched for it to see and found the trailer, I agree it totally sounds like they're back Smile Heard at least McGlynn's Motoko and Knight's Aramaki in there, as well as what sounded to me like one of the several SAC dub Tachikoma VAs for that one's one word in the trailer, so I would imagine the rest of the team's voices are likely back too even though they didn't have any lines in the trailer. This made my day.
I wasn't able to tell for sure but was that Sherry Lynn playing the Tachikoma in that trailer?

Quote:
I don't mean all the shows labelled as such, but the ones that actually are Netflix Originals: those made for Netflix, not exclusively licensed to them for the international market, I should have clarified that.
Even among that narrower definition of shows created specifically for Netflix, they still have shows like Aggretsuko, Cannon Busters, and Devilman Crybaby and Yuasa specifically stated in interviews Netflix has no creative involvement in the production process. Netflix is no different than other companies like Funimation and Crunchyroll who co-fund an anime to get exclusive streaming rights.
Skerlly Fc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:53 pm Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
OjaruFan2 wrote:

No, Netflix doesn't ask for that. It's the directors who make that decision.

I think the reason why plenty of these Netflix commissioned shows/movies are produced in CG is because:
1. Japanese animation studios have only recently opened up to full-CG productions after years of staying away from it.
2. To try something different. It's nice to have some variety instead of all productions being in 2D.
3. The master files delivery deadlines for Netflix seem to be much more flexible (since they take everything in binge-watchable chunks), which allows for the animation studios to do full-CG productions and still turn in something professional on time. The extremely tight deadlines for Japanese TV networks and the cheaper budgets for TV animation just doesn't mesh well with the nature of CG animation, which is much more expensive and time-consuming. That's why the vast majority of anime produced for a linear TV broadcast uses 2D animation.

Netflix is already known to specifically ask for this stuff, every single show they have labelled as "Netflix Original" is full 3DCG.
And no, Directors do NOT make the call for 3D CG in the production of animation, that is decided by the production committee, they are the ones in charge of selecting the studio that will handle the creation of the animation, they also select the director as well as many other roles, such as the VA director and main cast.
In this case, though we don't have access to the decision tree, we can assume Netflix received a new project pitch by either Sola DA or Production IG for a new GITS anime, after the "success" (since we don't have numbers) of Ultraman on Netflix, but asked the project to be handled in 3DCG because of cheaper costs associated with 3DCG and that the previous show was sorta ok in terms of criticism. I'm quite sure Production IG and Kamiyama protested to the idea of a full 3DCG production with sound arguments like the fans getting enranged and potentially killing the franchise, but were otherwise silenced by a lack of funds if they wanted to keep the project alive, and that they had a bit of confidence to pull it off seeing their past experience (Appleseed projects among others), at least Sola DA can handle the CG work and Kamiyama is part of the board of directors in it, so everything is kept close together instead of spreading thin.

Also, regarding your points...

1: Wrong, Japanese studios have been opened to full 3D CG productions for decades, Sola DA, the studio handling the project has tackled stuff since Appleseed with Aramaki at the helm, and the stuff is OLD. You can also trace back a lot other shows dating to the early 2000s made in full 3DCG. Also note the "3DCG" I'm using, because full CG animation has been a thing for even longer, with all-digital productions being made in the mid to late 90s, the original GITS 1995 being an example of mixed production, 3D models and 3D animation aside, all the composition, as well as inserted animations and many other things were handled digitally with Digital Generated Animation or DGA, one of the early and reliable methods of using computers to handle a lot of the work. The fact Netflix is commissioning so many 3DCG shows is not because of Japan's "recent" adoption, but because of some other objectives, such as the more realistic -it doesn't look like chinese cartoons- many of the people around Netflix's decision making likely thought to themselves and noticed that 3DCG is able to reach a wider audience, albeit not the one that anime is aimed at.

2: It's definitely not to try something different, if that were the case the aesthetics of the 3DCG shows in Netflix's "Originals" that stem from Japanese studios would have been vastly different, however, what we have seen is that the aesthetics are almost identical between all the shows, the recent GITS included. And no, I'm not talking about character design, but everything else related to 3DCG: shaders, illumination, animation, etc.

3: 3DCG is less time consuming and much more flexible than traditional 2D animation by a HUGE, HUGE margin, changes can be made on the fly, edits right before airing, and everything from lip synch to lighting can be changed with the flip of a button. Preparatory work is also much faster and agile. You also only need to create specific hero assets for the show, everything else can come from a library and used as-is for stuff on the background, and slightly edited for more noticeable things or others that have more screen time. Also, 3DCG productions are far cheaper than traditional animation ones, require far less people and is much more controllable because of this, besides the obvious benefits of space, equipment, etc.
Also, the all-at-once practice Netflix has might actually be quite problematic for studios that are used for weekly deliveries, it might seem good, but this essentially means the production switches from a TV show one to a movie style production, with everything this entails (single payment, good cost control, adequate accounting, etc. something animation studios aren't exactly well known for, with many going bankrupt because of these very reasons). At least Sola DA is used to making movies, so it might not be a big deal for them, which is also most likely one of the reasons Netflix has a deal with them and Production IG.

I recommend you, chronos02, and all the other people commenting on this news, to read this interview from OTAQUEST to Aramaki and Kamiyama, the show´s directors, so that you can see it was their decision to make the series in 3D because they wanted to experiment with the franchise on 3D, and not because they were obligated to do it in 3D by Netflix, as you want to suggest. Link for the interview: https://www.otaquest.com/kenji-kamiyama-shinji-aramaki-ghost-in-the-shell-interview/

It was Aramaki and Kamiyama´s decision because they feel like they can make the series feel and look more real in 3D as opposed to 2D, although take that comment as you want. Also, on the interview, they talk about how they were crafting the plot to reflect and comment on real-life topics while mixing the sci-fi concepts that GITS is known for. Now, chronos02, your opinions are similar to most anime fans, in that their opinions come from being misinformed about the ins and outs of 3D animation, and also those opinions are copied from other anime fans that love to claim that 3D is killing anime, that 2D will die like it did with american animation, and other equally surface-level opinions.

1- First off, you say that the directors of this show were protesting against the series being in 3D, but the interview from OTAQUEST proves that Aramaki and Kamiyama love 3D animation. And also, no interview from any show on Netflix has indicated yet that these 3D anime series are done because they´re obligated to do so, and we don´t have any proofs about this "secret 3D anime agenda" anime fans talk about on the internet. Most of the time, it´s confirmed that japanese staffers wanted to make their shows in 3D from the get-go because they like the idea.

2- You´re right on the part that 3DCG is less time consuming and much more flexible than traditional 2D animation, but then you say that 3D anime is cheap. You are giving an opinion that comes from misinformation. I studied a career in multimedia and I was taught about what more or less goes into 3D animation products. A 3D animated product will more often than not, cost more than 2D animation. Why? Because the cost of just the computers that you have to use to model, rig and render 3D anime models is higher than the cost of paper, pencils and paint. Then you have to pay money to the people that have to do the job with the computers, and depending of the processing requirements of the computer (CPU processor, hard disks, Video RTX Graphics Cards, and etc) the cost can go up even more. Most of the time when 3D anime looks ugly, it´s because people don´t know how to adapt art direction from 2D and 3D properly. For example, Sausage Party, a US 3D animated film, was done in almost US$20 million dollars, yet it looks like a 3D film done on $60 million, and in that case it was because some people knew what to do when adapting the art direction. Also, that movie had some rough behind-the-scenes stories.

3- Go search Netflix´s anime catalogue (link here: https://www.netflix.com/browse/genre/6721?bc=83&so=yr) and you´ll notice that there are more shows done in 2D than 3D. The issue with many online opinions about the Netflix exclusive anime is that, because Netflix is licensing and announcing more 3D anime lately, anime fans are quick to shout and talk about how Netflix is damaging anime by allowing more 3D anime to be made becasue anime fans want to keep 2D anime alive and don´t want to see that die, and they also think 3D anime is fake anime even when done by japanese staffers.

This type of misinformed opinions make me think more often than not, that anime fans are their own worst enemies, as they want to keep anime to themselves and themselves only, and anything that betrays the creation of anime even when done by japanese staffers is treated as a heressy. Like for example, if Hayao Miyazaki, Makoto Shinkai, Mamoru Hosoda, Masaaki Yuasa or any beloved japanese director and creator wants to do a mayor 3D anime project becasue they like the idea, or want to experiment (even though it might not happen), most anime fans will say that those people are out-of-touch and that they don´t see the value of anime and that they´re doing cashgrabs becasue of stuff like that. If japanese staffers want to do stuff differently, the japanese public will mostly encourage them to do 3D anime, but we should ask ourselves if we aren´t becoming exaggerated when we claim that 3D anime shouldn´t exist and we should support 2D anime because "that´s the true art".
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:

I wasn't able to tell for sure but was that Sherry Lynn playing the Tachikoma in that trailer?

I can't tell for sure either since it's just the one word, but it sure sounds familiar (just popped on one of the dubbed tachikoma specials from a web search too) so I think so.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:41 pm Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
Netflix is already known to specifically ask for this stuff, every single show they have labelled as "Netflix Original" is full 3DCG.

Wrong. Take a look at Dino Girl Gauko, B: The Beginning, or even Rilakkuma and Kaoru. Along with the shows Cardcaptor Takato mentioned to you.

Quote:
The fact Netflix is commissioning so many 3DCG shows is not because of Japan's "recent" adoption, but because of some other objectives, such as the more realistic -it doesn't look like chinese cartoons- many of the people around Netflix's decision making likely thought to themselves and noticed that 3DCG is able to reach a wider audience, albeit not the one that anime is aimed at.

Can you provide any verified sources for all this? Not that my speculation is any better than yours, but I really need to see proof that the people at Netflix think that 2D anime looks like "Chinese cartoons" and therefore believe that it doesn't have potential to reach a wider audience.

Quote:
It's definitely not to try something different

Yes it definitely is.

Quote:
if that were the case the aesthetics of the 3DCG shows in Netflix's "Originals" that stem from Japanese studios would have been vastly different, however, what we have seen is that the aesthetics are almost identical between all the shows, the recent GITS included. And no, I'm not talking about character design, but everything else related to 3DCG: shaders, illumination, animation, etc.

I mean, Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya's animation looks smoother than Ultraman. Not to mention that the latter show's CG uses cel-shading, according to these reviews:
- https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/ultraman-season-1-netflix-release-date-plot-cast-and-trailer-03-19/
- https://www.thecinemaholic.com/ultraman-netflix/

Saint Seiya definitely didn't use cel-shading.

Quote:
3DCG is less time consuming and much more flexible than traditional 2D animation by a HUGE, HUGE margin, changes can be made on the fly, edits right before airing, and everything from lip synch to lighting can be changed with the flip of a button. Preparatory work is also much faster and agile. You also only need to create specific hero assets for the show, everything else can come from a library and used as-is for stuff on the background, and slightly edited for more noticeable things or others that have more screen time. Also, 3DCG productions are far cheaper than traditional animation ones, require far less people and is much more controllable because of this, besides the obvious benefits of space, equipment, etc.

Well if that's the case, then the infamous Berserk 2016 would've not ended up being a production disaster for everybody involved. Laughing animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2017-07-07/what-the-heck-happened-to-berserk/.117834
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:58 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Looks like an FMV from a PS3 game. Sad
Why can't Netflix hire studios to do actual traditional anime that will all love.
Look at the stuff Ufotable can do blending CG with anime and more recently the amazing scenes in FGO: Babylonia from CloverWorks.
Then there's this... Shocked

They kinda do. Like Devilman Crybaby, and also have no problem licensing stuff like Violet evergarden. But I think it comes down largely to the producers on the Japanese side and the target audience. They imagine Western audiences prefer CG. Netflix producers likewise also think so.

Castlevania proves Netflix ain't against 2D. I think IG just wanted to try CG. Also Castlevania seasons are shorter, so a longer show was probably cheaper with CG.

So it probably comes down largely to target audiences. If it's mainly Japan and international anime fans, 2D. If it is international mainstream audiences, then 3D. Ghost is likely aiming at that.
Cyberphobe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:37 pm Reply with quote
So a 2nd season has been greenlit before anybody even knows if the first is any good? Doesn't seem like a good business model. But then again Netflix isn't known for good business models. Nice to see Agent Smith got out of the Matrix.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Cyberphobe wrote:
So a 2nd season has been greenlit before anybody even knows if the first is any good? Doesn't seem like a good business model. But then again Netflix isn't known for good business models. Nice to see Agent Smith got out of the Matrix.
The show was always planned to be a two cour show where one half was directed by Aramaki and the other half by Kamiyama.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:51 am Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
3DCG is less time consuming and much more flexible than traditional 2D animation by a HUGE, HUGE margin, changes can be made on the fly, edits right before airing, and everything from lip synch to lighting can be changed with the flip of a button..
No you can't make changes right before airing, what you are sending over to broadcast is nothing more than a video file, and that video file needs to be rendered out. Not only does this take time, but then any adjustments, even the most slightest, need require you to at very least render out that particular scene again.
chronos02 wrote:
Also, 3DCG productions are far cheaper than traditional animation ones, require far less people and is much more controllable because of this, besides the obvious benefits of space, equipment, etc.
The cost to license software alone is exceedingly high, and you also need top of the range computers.Traditional animation would only cost you the use of a few less powerful computer, Photoshop, which is a lot less expensive compared to 3DS MAX and Maya. The only thing that would cost a lot is the graphic tablets, or you could buy pencil and paper cheap by the bulk.

I do not like this show, but I can least see that they did it because they thought it would be better, not because it made their lives easier.
falseinfinity

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I would've preferred a 2D show, but this was really good. Better than Arise imo, and it definitely feels like Stand Alone Complex 3. Glad they brought the dub cast back. I refuse to watch any of the terrible looking Netflix CG anime, but this is noticeably better looking and doesn't look like a Wii cutscene. It's worth noting that Kamiyama previously directed the Re:Cyborg film in 2012, so I doubt he objects to working with CG, especially since GITS has used at least some CG in every incarnation
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3