Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sing "Yesterday" for Me


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DerekL1963
Enjoying the time of EVEEnjoying the time of EVE


Joined: 14 Jan 2015
Posts: 832
Location: Puget Sound
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:39 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
I was glad to see Haru hanging out with her mother and step-father for New Years', but now I wonder whose house she lives in --- I was under the impression that traditional Japanese houses like the one she's in were pretty up-scale.


There are upscale ones (generally with a significant yard/garden), mid-grade ones (Daikichi & Rin live in an older example of one such in Bunny Drop), and crappy run down ones. They run the gamut.

The front entrance is close to the street rather than being set back... But it appears to be being kept up, so I'd say Haru's is most likely midgrade. (From the brief glimpses we've seen.)

It's also not impossible that it's a rooming/boarding house of some sort. Haven't seen anything to rule that out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 2731
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:45 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
I was glad to see Haru hanging out with her mother and step-father for New Years', but now I wonder whose house she lives in --- I was under the impression that traditional Japanese houses like the one she's in were pretty up-scale.


Dunno if it'll be covered in the anime since it's not that important but manga spoiler just in case, spoiler[it's her deceased grand father house (iirc on her father side but it's been like a decade so I could be wrong).]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
blameitonStarBlazers
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 06 Oct 2018
Posts: 99
Location: Westchester, NY
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I really loved the whole “I cannot tell a lie” vibe when Rikuo handed over the gift. You could so clearly see him mulling over what the Fukudas said . . . but just not having the personality to pull off that kind of a white lie.

I definitely noticed and enjoyed the little bits of animation Chris mentioned—particularly Shinako fidgeting with the phone cord. Ah, these Japanese relationships, they move so slowly. Who knew a small embrace could be so utterly thrilling? Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yuvelir



Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 602
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:19 am Reply with quote
That thud made me think Kensuke had just died and Hanako was devastated.
Then I rewatched that part and noticed it was a door so I calmed down. It didn't occur to me that it could be something as bad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Engineering Nerd



Joined: 24 Apr 2008
Posts: 749
Location: Southern California
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Since it is confirmed from the official twitter account that next week’s episode will be the last (18 episodes total include the 6 Web EX shorts), I wonder how will they wrap the whole story up in a satisfying manner? Since this week’s episode ends at manga chapter 78, yet there are 113 chapters total...,anime original ending?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 2731
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Since it is confirmed from the official twitter account that next week’s episode will be the last (18 episodes total include the 6 Web EX shorts), I wonder how will they wrap the whole story up in a satisfying manner? Since this week’s episode ends at manga chapter 78, yet there are 113 chapters total...,anime original ending?


The anime has been cutting a lot of content (very good thing, the manga is bloated with superfluous content) so they might be able to get to the real ending in that time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yuvelir



Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 602
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I really didn't expect this mess of a finale. Considering how slow and careful the series was, all the stuff that happens "just because" right on the finale pisode is disappointing.

I'm also specially worried about Shinako. What she had going with Rou was pretty unhealthy and her final resolution reads like her giving up and goign back to the worst of their status quo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ErikaD.D



Joined: 09 Jun 2019
Posts: 348
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This update means that the series proper is in fact a twelve-episode single-cour long, and this is the last episode.

So the 18 episodes thing is fake news, after all. How pathetic. But I think this anime wouldn't be rushed if it had 24-26 episodes instead 12, because 12 episodes isn't enough for anime version -- which the manga version has more than 150 or 200 chapters.

I'm upset that "Wave, Listen to Me", "Arte" and "Sing 'Yesterday' for Me" will never get season 2 (because all of them have anime original endings and they are one-and-done -- despite that the manga versions of Wave and Arte are still continued) while "My Next Life As A Villainess" gets season 2. SAD.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
meiam



Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 2731
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:02 pm Reply with quote
So I can easily buy that Shinako didn't really love Rikuo, but Rikuo was clearly in love with her, no question about that. Him realizing that he was just confused about his feeling (for years at this point) just doesn't work. Even during their short relationship he tried to kiss her, definitely not something you try to do with your friend... Not to mention the constant taking picture of her, buying gift for her and so on.

Similarly, at no point did he seem to like Haru. Even his final confession felt like "well I got no one else and your cute so let's get it on". I'm not going to touch the dumpster fire of Shinako x Rou.

I think I would have liked an ending where no one end up with no one else far more.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blood-
Aria CompanyAria Company


Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 20480
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:12 pm Reply with quote
This show demonstrates once again the truism that good, satisfying endings are obviously very hard to come up with. Thank God the show ended before we actually got to see a teacher in a relationship with the barely out of high school kid brother of her dead teenage love. Puke. Haru, you're so cool... what did you ever see in that boring mope?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Yuvelir



Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 602
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
This show demonstrates once again the truism that good, satisfying endings are obviously very hard to come up with. Thank God the show ended before we actually got to see a teacher in a relationship with the barely out of high school kid brother of her dead teenage love. Puke. Haru, you're so cool... what did you ever see in that boring mope?

Right after saying that he's family!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blood-
Aria CompanyAria Company


Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 20480
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Blood- wrote:
This show demonstrates once again the truism that good, satisfying endings are obviously very hard to come up with. Thank God the show ended before we actually got to see a teacher in a relationship with the barely out of high school kid brother of her dead teenage love. Puke. Haru, you're so cool... what did you ever see in that boring mope?

Right after saying that he's family!


Oh lord... I guess my memory decided to edit that part out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
TexZero



Joined: 25 Oct 2017
Posts: 356
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Can't satisfy them all i suppose.

I loved this ending and the very decisive way they went about establishing Haru and Rikuo's, Rikuo's and Shinako's friendship all while showcasing that Shinako and Rou's relationship is likely to fail.

Would i like to see the series expanded and given a more faithful adaptaion sure. However, im content with what we got.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GhostOfShowsPast



Joined: 09 Sep 2015
Posts: 23
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:00 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
So I can easily buy that Shinako didn't really love Rikuo, but Rikuo was clearly in love with her, no question about that. Him realizing that he was just confused about his feeling (for years at this point) just doesn't work. Even during their short relationship he tried to kiss her, definitely not something you try to do with your friend... Not to mention the constant taking picture of her, buying gift for her and so on.

Similarly, at no point did he seem to like Haru. Even his final confession felt like "well I got no one else and your cute so let's get it on". I'm not going to touch the dumpster fire of Shinako x Rou.

I think I would have liked an ending where no one end up with no one else far more.


Agreed I think Rikuo was more annoyed by Haru then romantically liking her never got the slightest indication that he into Haru while obviously was into Shinako. The breakup was done well but we never really saw them give dating a go I was waiting for the final push for them to properly give it a go.

Also Rou was a terrible character start to finish and while Haru was the best character she doesn't work with Rikuo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jdnation



Joined: 15 May 2007
Posts: 1278
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:06 am Reply with quote
The show was great until the last episode where it dropped the ball.

I simply don't buy their decision to break up in favour of the others, not one bit.

They should have made the decision to commit to each other, moving past their timid indecisiveness born from fears of hurting someone else and changes to their routine lives and relationships that they'd been comfortably trying to preserve.

As the saying goes, every choice is also a rejection. But in this case, their choice results in no significant change to their lives since episode 1. Very unsatisfying. But mainly not believable. It would only make sense if their commitment demonstrably didn't work out after the fact. But they never got around to really trying.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group