• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hi Score Girl II

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:50 pm Reply with quote
The biggest difference I noticed between the sub and the dub for this one is that the sub seemed to have some gratuitous, fansub-level swearing. Netflix raised the rating after season 2 dropped from TV-PG to TV-14, but I'm not sure if that was so they could drop F-bombs or as a result of it. The dub kept it as clean as the first season.

At one point in the sub, some guy at the arcade says "Somebody stop that f**king bitch!", referring to Oono. In the dub, it was "Somebody stop that pesky girl!".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I would gladly welcome the opportunity to see where these characters end up at a later point in their lives.
A sequel manga actually launched in December about Koharu as a middle school teacher. I would love to see this animated one day because, I would also like to the core cast as adults.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I personally enjoyed this series, and this series feels like someone opened a window and let some fresh air into an otherwise stagnant season.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:39 pm Reply with quote
After three episodes of season 2, I just stopped caring and I still haven't finished it because I don't understand how Koharu just stopped appearing and Haruo both didn't notice and didn't care.

Quote:
Thankfully, the members of the Ono household help even more in this season when it comes to leveling the romantic playing field and rounding out Akira as a character, since they essentially describe and translate Akira's thoughts and motivations.

They all should have worked harder on describing Haruo's thoughts and motivations, Akira I understood. For example, everyone but Haruo was confused when he invited both girls into his bedroom. He didn't see them as potential love interests, I got that, or friends... I don't understand that one... or even rivals despite how he considered his relationship with Akira.

I'd say he treated them as pieces of furniture but I expect he treats his own stuff with more care. "Out of sight, out of mind" would be part of it but I bet he'd remember the last game they played together rather, not just "sooner" but rather, than the last time he saw either of them. In the end, not only don't I see what anyone of the people around Haruo sees in him, I don't even see what he sees in himself.

It's not sad, it's just weird. Well, also sad, mostly because how much I liked the first season's Haruo.
PRIZER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I loved the first season and the three OVA episodes - it reminded a lot of Kimagure Orange Road, which is perhaps anime's greatest rom-com, in my opinion - but felt like it should have concluded at that point. It was very clear that Haruo and Akira loved each other and would somehow find a way to work things out.

The second season, while it has its moments, just seems like a rehash of all the same points - Haru beng dense, Koharu being a third wheel, and Akira being enigmatic but still clearly in love with Haruo. Heck, the ending scene of season two is almost identical as the big turning point scene at the end of episode three in the first season, except this time it loses much of its emotional resonance, because we've seen it already.

I still hope people watch Hi Score Girl in its entirety, because it's a lovely story where all of the main characters are good people with good intentions, though I do believe the second season can be missed without much being lost.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I would gladly welcome the opportunity to see where these characters end up at a later point in their lives.

there is a manga where the new mc is hidaka; I go bit lost because I had read it was hidaka in her 30s, but the manga happens 10 years before that as she is in her 20s. All is fogiven because it has doi.
AholePony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:18 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed this series and it was nice that season 2 had a decent conclusion.

This review needs quite a bit of proofreading.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:45 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
The biggest difference I noticed between the sub and the dub for this one is that the sub seemed to have some gratuitous, fansub-level swearing. Netflix raised the rating after season 2 dropped from TV-PG to TV-14, but I'm not sure if that was so they could drop F-bombs or as a result of it. The dub kept it as clean as the first season.

At one point in the sub, some guy at the arcade says "Somebody stop that f**king bitch!", referring to Oono. In the dub, it was "Somebody stop that pesky girl!".

Is that the fault of the translation or was it more accurate? Also odd to label it as "Fansub-level" when official subs have their own fair share - just look at FFVII Remake's translation. Subtitle and dub in that case, they added a lot of swearing - some of it completely out of character to the Japanese script.

I agree with the comments that didn't like this as much as s1 but the ending was pretty solid. I definitely saw far more appeal in Koharu but I knew she had no real chance. I want to read her manga.
tywhoppity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 was great, but I think the manga was more impactful. spoiler[My avatar is how they embraced at the airport in the manga.]
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:07 pm Reply with quote
So the anime completely adapted the manga? This is how the manga ended too? I WANT MORE!
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:42 pm Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
So the anime completely adapted the manga? This is how the manga ended too? I WANT MORE!

Again, a new series from hidaka's perspective is running.
Luminayre

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I can honestly say this has become my favorite anime ever. I just thought it was so unique in how you actually see gameplay footage in the show itself.

It really made it stand out. This isn't the reason it's my favorite though. I think Haruo just reminds me of myself a bit when I was younger. I was in love with video games (still am lol) and I love that it takes place in the early to mid 90's. Everything about it takes me back to those days of gaming.

Well I just wanted to share my thoughts and love for this anime, I truly hope I get to see Haruo and Akira again in a 3rd season down the line. I don't see that this story is over just yet.
ECW28

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Luminayre wrote:
Well I just wanted to share my thoughts and love for this anime, I truly hope I get to see Haruo and Akira again in a 3rd season down the line. I don't see that this story is over just yet.

I totally agree that it feels like there’s more story to be told. While there is the new DASH manga, theres also a special chapter thats supposed to release with the blu-ray in Japan, thats set directly after the last chapter of the manga, so that gives me hope that maybe they’re considering or already planning some sort of OVA or movie to conclude it more definitively?
Luminayre

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
maybe they’re considering or already planning some sort of OVA or movie to conclude it more definitively?

That would be interesting. Personally, I would like to see spoiler[Haruo maybe meet Akira's parents and somehow show them that he's the one for her down the line]. I just love how the author, writers, artists, etc. managed to mix romanticism in with video games and was able to make this into a highly entertaining and hilarious anime. I'm very curious as to what the next step would be at this point as there are many different directions left to be explored.

I'm glad I got to express my feelings for this anime here as I don't have any friends who are into anime at all. The older I get the harder it is to find those people. Well anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this!
ECW28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:55 am Reply with quote
Luminayre wrote:
That would be interesting. Personally, I would like to see spoiler[Haruo maybe meet Akira's parents and somehow show them that he's the one for her down the line]. I just love how the author, writers, artists, etc. managed to mix romanticism in with video games and was able to make this into a highly entertaining and hilarious anime. I'm very curious as to what the next step would be at this point as there are many different directions left to be explored.!

Interestingly enough, the aforementioned epilogue chapter does spoiler[introduce Akira’s mother], so i hope that’s them setting up for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2