• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Digimon Adventure:

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:20 pm Reply with quote
The reboot started off with a lot of promise but I feel like everything the reboot has been struggling to do was done much better in previous Digimon shows. Like Frontier did a much better job with the separate the cast for character growth arcs and even when Frontier became the Takuya and Kouji show it was a lot more fun and engaging than Adventure:. And Xros Wars did a much better job of balancing out having a heavy focus on endless action scenes with meaningful character interactions and development. So yeah just go back and watch Digimon Frontier and Xros Wars if you haven't yet and you'll probably have a much better time. Xros Wars is also streaming subbed on Crunchyroll and the Frontier dub is on Hulu.
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Read the latest review and not to be "that guy" but it's probably worth noting that while Millenniumon isn't a legacy villain to Digimon Adventure specifically, as far as the franchise in general goes, that's about as legacy as it gets since Millenniumon was the main antagonist of a lot of the older games from what little I know about them.

Can't really say it feels like the reboot's earned something like that either way though.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Millenniumon. He looks a smidge different in silhouette than his previous appearances, but at least he's not a rote repeat legacy villain like Devimon.

Except he totally is. He is the villain of a series of 4 games for the WonderSwan featuring Ryo Akiyama as the Main Character. Yes, the one from Tamers. It's just that those games are not well known in the West, since the WonderSwan was never released outside of Japan.

Which is a shame, because they offer some vital information for two different universes. Want to know what happened during Ken's first visit to the Digital World that Wormmon kept talking about? Want to know what the Dark Spores are and where do they come from? Want to know who Ryo is, why every character from Tamers treats him like a superstar and what's the deal with his Digimon? Play those games never released outside of Japan!

Having said that, Millenniumon did show up in 02... as a two seconds cameo in a flashback in episode 43. Ryo is there too, before being transported to the world of Tamers.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:43 am Reply with quote
I loved that Reapermon was brought back in this episode. I loved playing Digimon Rumble Arena as a kid, and seeing Reapermon again, brought back a lot of fun memories of playing that game with friends.
Now, with Millenniumon seeming to be the end game bad guy for the series, I hope they bring Ryo back, seeing as these two have a strong history together in digimon.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:03 am Reply with quote
I doubt that we will have Ryo in the reboot or that they'll include any of the franchise's past lore of Millenniumon in the reboot as they've not done any proper buildup for any sort of crossover at this point. Millenniumon just seems like he's going to be taking on the same role that Lucemon had in Frontier because the reboot is being lazy and given up on trying to tell any actual story. In a better show the reveal of Milleniumon would be a much bigger deal than the shrug it is now.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:02 am Reply with quote
Something that bothered me is that Lopmon told Agumon that their ability to digivolve was a miracle brought on by their partnership with the Chosen Children, but then immediately we see half a dozen Bakemon and one Reapermon evolve for no reason. And we've been seeing wild Digimon evolve every episode just to gratuitously up the stakes, so it makes Lopmon's statement completely meaningless
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:38 am Reply with quote
Christopher Farris wrote:
the next official Big Bad of this show: Millenniumon. He looks a smidge different in silhouette than his previous appearances, but at least he's not a rote repeat legacy villain like Devimon.

Personally, he's appeared in enough Digimon stories that his appearance in Adventure (2020) made me go "ugh, this guy again?"

Oh well, at least he's not Vamdemon.
Kuzu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I guess this is the end of the weekly reviews for this show.
Adv193

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:16 pm Reply with quote
One thing I like about this new series is that battles are more exciting and the Evolutions are used more often than the original which was something the original series lacked.

Also in my person opinion I never liked the ratings on the reviews for the episodes for the series namely due to too much comparison work between it and the original series which is general flaw if reviews involving remakes. I believed they deserved more respect with all the hard work the remake is doing and a lot of good story elements the remake had been using.
Digimon_Sommelier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the reboot drags things, story-wise, but admit it: we're all looking forward to how it all ends. I am still on the edge of my seat as each episode closes.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:22 am Reply with quote
Although I've become more disappointed in this reboot as it's gone on myself in spite of being a really Digimon fan, I have enjoyed reading the weekly episode reviews and I liked being able to watch a Digimon show while it was being simulcast and being able to talk about it with friends online and the online fandom. It reminded me a lot in my high school days when I used to watch the original Digimon on Fox Kids and talk about it with my best friend at school at lunch when a new episode was out. It's just too bad it wasn't a better show which is a shame because it started off with so much potential which seems to be a recurring theme with modern Adventure related content like the Tri movies.

I do hope the streams of the subbed simulcast of Adventure: could lead eventually to an official stream of the uncut subbed version of the original Digimon Adventure and subsequent follow up seasons. Although I still have a lot of nostalgic love for the Saban dub, I would still love to see the subbed version of the original Digimon made officially available, especially after we got Tri, Kizuna, and Appmon subbed, and as this anniversary revival we've had for the franchise since Tri started is probably the last chance we have at getting an uncut release of the original Digimon. If you do want to see a modern Digimon show that's actually good though, I would highly recommend Digimon Universe Appli Monsters which is available streaming subbed on Crunchyroll. It's probably the best Digimon series we've had in years and it does a really good job of fleshing out it's characters and balancing out action with actual heartful stories and drama.

I'm also going to go an unorthodox route and recommend Digimon Xros Wars which is also subbed on Crunchyroll. Xros Wars had a more mixed reaction than Appmon did but I think it did a much better job of what Adventure: attempted to do with being a more battle heavy shonen action adventure series but still having an actual plot and character focus. And the first four classic seasons of Digimon are also available dubbed on Hulu and DVD and those are always worth revisiting and Data Squad is also on DVD. I just want to say thank you to Christopher Farris for doing these reviews for Digimon every week. Even after the show got frustrating after awhile, I do appreciate ANN did help to give the new Digimon series some promotion with these daily reviews and it was fun to be able to geek out about one of my favorite anime franchises on here. Maybe one day we'll get a better Digimon show after this that we can talk about again like this. And I also thank Crunchyroll and Toei for simulcasting this show subbed and it was great to finally be able to watch a Digimon series while being simulcast for the first time not counting the Tri movies.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:30 am Reply with quote
Digimon_Sommelier wrote:
I agree that the reboot drags things, story-wise, but admit it: we're all looking forward to how it all ends.

Not really. At this point I'm just watching the show out of habit, and each time I find myself looking at the time bar to see how long the episode has to go. Joke's on me for not being able to let go of my childhood obsessions.

Glad you're enjoying it though.
Saezurigai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:38 am Reply with quote
A shame that the reviews are ending, I also enjoyed following them. But I must admit that I'm also not certain if I will continue with the show, at least for now. While the Fall season was pretty empty for me, I now have 8 other anime to follow and that's already getting close to the limit of what I have time for. Anyway, I hope the show might get back on track later on and make sticking with it worthwhile.
TexZero

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:35 am Reply with quote
Digimon_Sommelier wrote:
I agree that the reboot drags things, story-wise, but admit it: we're all looking forward to how it all ends. I am still on the edge of my seat as each episode closes.

Can't quite say edge of my seat. I am however keenly interested in how it diverges from past iterations. Case in point the last episode giving Patomon not armor digivolution instead of Angemon or Seraphimon
Guy Gardner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for still reviewing this mess.

I tapped out watching the show fully a while ago and just scroll through it now just to what happens, since random things like Patamon turning into Pegasusmon occur.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9