• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Digimon Adventure:

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:27 am Reply with quote
IMO, the Show is really good. I like how they seem to be doing things slightly differently too

meiam wrote:
Pleasantly surprised at the show, but I really can't get over them using omnimon on episode 3. Why would you go all out at the start of the series? Everything is going to feel like a step down after that, "Oh look, greymon digivolved into metal greymon... cool, I guess, but it's no omnimon". They might forcefully separate them in order to prevent that, storywise, but everything will still feel like a step down from here on action wise.

They basically put War Game first but it's not really a problem because that wasn't the proper digital world and it was like a one-time thing.

Most new watchers would still get surprised when they see Perfect and mega evolutions later since they won't necessarily know that fusion is stronger. And us OG watchers already know about Omnimon anyway.
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Kuroi Ren wrote:
Most new watchers would still get surprised when they see Perfect and mega evolutions later since they won't necessarily know that fusion is stronger. And us OG watchers already know about Omnimon anyway.

This sums up very well why Omega/Omnimon in episodes 2 and 3 isn't automatically a problem with the show. Somehow even though I've known about Omnimon since he first showed up on the big screen, I'm still genuinely excited to see Birdramon whenever we get to see episode 4. After Greymon's outstanding reboot-debut, how could I not be pretty pumped to see what they do with Birdramon? And Angemon? And Kabuterimon, MetalGreymon, Ikkakumon, etc. etc. etc.?

Someone mentioned Exodia in YGO episode 1, which is on point: essentially unbeatable and requires extraordinary circumstances to appear, just like Omegamon. I'm not a Yu-Gi-Oh fan myself, but did any of y'all seriously think the Dark Magician wasn't that cool just because you knew about Exodia? Back to Digimon, you know what the first new evolution (Japanese) kids saw after Omegamon was? Flamedramon. Weaker than Champion/Adult-level, somehow still cool. It didn't matter that we'd already seen Megas/Ultimates; Flamedramon was the new big deal because he showed up in the nick of time when all the O.G. 'mons couldn't do it themselves, and because he's just freaking cool. And that's why Digimon fans ought to just relax about Omegamon making an early entrance. It does not have to take the air out of MetalGreymon's or [Your favorite Digimon here]'s first appearance as long as the writers know how to make it work, and nothing I've seen in the show suggests they won't.

Anyway, I'm really digging the reboot so far. It looks and sounds amazing, Taichi and Koushiro have great chemistry, the animation's ranged from darn good to stellar, the ep. 1 Greymon fight is already one of my favorite scenes in the franchise, and the show doesn't feel like a pointless retread. Omegamon's new EMP-nerfing powers were rad and the whole EMP thing was a great way for the writers to add something new to the War Game plot idea. No, the first 3 episodes aren't a substitute for Hosoda's War Game, but that's because this is the hook to a TV show and not a standalone movie directed by a literal genius. They used their own voice and style to recontextualize this part of the Digimon Adventure story while paying homage to and without simply aping Hosoda's work, so I find myself unable to hold the comparison against the reboot. (Which is weird because Hosoda's Digimon movies are among my favorite movies period, and that's why I loathe the Revenge of Diaboromon movie.)

tl;dr: Omegamon isn't a problem, the reboot's great, and I miss it already.
Kuroi Ren

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:58 pm Reply with quote
icomeanon6 wrote:

This sums up very well why Omega/Omnimon in episodes 2 and 3 isn't automatically a problem with the show. Somehow even though I've known about Omnimon since he first showed up on the big screen, I'm still genuinely excited to see Birdramon whenever we get to see episode 4. After Greymon's outstanding reboot-debut, how could I not be pretty pumped to see what they do with Birdramon? And Angemon? And Kabuterimon, MetalGreymon, Ikkakumon, etc. etc. etc.?

Someone mentioned Exodia in YGO episode 1, which is on point: essentially unbeatable and requires extraordinary circumstances to appear, just like Omegamon. I'm not a Yu-Gi-Oh fan myself, but did any of y'all seriously think the Dark Magician wasn't that cool just because you knew about Exodia? Back to Digimon, you know what the first new evolution (Japanese) kids saw after Omegamon was? Flamedramon. Weaker than Champion/Adult-level, somehow still cool. It didn't matter that we'd already seen Megas/Ultimates; Flamedramon was the new big deal because he showed up in the nick of time when all the O.G. 'mons couldn't do it themselves, and because he's just freaking cool. And that's why Digimon fans ought to just relax about Omegamon making an early entrance. It does not have to take the air out of MetalGreymon's or [Your favorite Digimon here]'s first appearance as long as the writers know how to make it work, and nothing I've seen in the show suggests they won't.

tl;dr: Omegamon isn't a problem, the reboot's great, and I miss it already.

Agreed. I am still looking forward to seeing ALL the different characters and their respective digimons.
Waterdragon884

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:26 pm Reply with quote
icomeanon6 wrote:
Agreed. I am still looking forward to seeing ALL the different characters and their respective digimons.

I wish it would come back. I hope Matt will still have the same issues from the original and have them solved with remembering friendship.
RetroWinnipeg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for that point in this series where the show starts to go off the rails and underwhelms. Hopefully, that coincides with the return of the NHL season, whenever that is...

I'm still trying to figure out how they're going to shoehorn Mimi and Joe into this troupe...
Actar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:44 am Reply with quote
Haven't seen Episode 4 yet. Here are my opinions on the first three episodes:

Firstly, there are definitely some positives to this new reboot, like the amazing animation, the non-stock evolution sequences and how they're not introducing all of the main cast at the same time to allow us to get to know them individually, but I personally feel that there are many glaring issues with these first three episodes. Here are some of the main ones:

- The heavy focus on plot/action leaves zero room for our characters to breathe. There is nothing necessarily compelling about these characters that have been presented to us in these first three episodes. We have close to zero emotional investment in these (supposedly new) characters. How are we expected to care for their well-being or root for their success on a personal level when they are suddenly presented with an Avengers-level threat? Think going into Infinity War without having watched every other MCU movie before it. Sure, it would suck to see Tokyo get destroyed, but that's pretty much it. Not to mention, it's especially difficult to empathize or relate with characters that hardly have any reactions to anything and that simply go with the flow.

- Because of all the time mainly spent on fighting, there was also hardly any opportunity to develop a relationship between the humans and their digimon partners. Therefore, it is not surprising that Taichi didn't really seem to care about Agumon or curious about Omegamon or anything after returning to the real world. If Taichi doesn't even care, why should we as the audience care?

- As previously mentioned, the stakes are very artificially generated. Anything can feel suddenly important when there's a weapon of mass destruction involved. But more importantly, the viewers are not treated to any form of satisfying catharsis. Omegamon is evidently being used here as a means to build up mystery and suspense for later. But now, he comes off as an unearned, consequence-free deus ex machina. In other words, a rather lazy way to easily and quickly resolve a threat that was poorly built up. Notice that in Our War Game, even after becoming Omegamon, they still needed to figure out how to defeat the big bad guy? Omegamon was just a means to an end, not the end in and of itself. There might be payoff in the later episodes, but that does not change the rather anti-climactic resolution to this arc.

- At this point, I'd argue that, other than perhaps being a mere grand spectacle that served as a replacement for the Parrotmon battle and foreshadowed the miracle with Omegamon, these first three episodes didn't have any storytelling beats or plot points (introducing characters, explaining what the digital world is, working together to defeat a bigger foe, etc...) that couldn't have been integrated into the upcoming episodes, but spaced out to have included more character interaction.

In my honest opinion, these problems stem from the fact that Toei wants to both remake the series for new audiences and pander to older fans at the same time. While this show has been billed for new audiences, without that reason to care about the characters, fighting and foreshadowing can only go so far. In fact, one of the main reasons I'm continuing to watch this series is to see how it improves upon/changes up the formula from the original. And that's just not something that new viewers will care about because they've never seen the original. Why would they care about (what's beyond) Omegamon if they don't even know who or what Omegamon is?

As-is, aside from the positives I touched on at the beginning of this post, these first three episodes have shown me nothing that I haven't already (done better) before. Even if we assume I'm horrendously biased because I'm an nostalgic old fart and we completely discount Our War Game, Summer Wars has managed to do what this reboot hasn't done (a whole DECADE ago, I might add). It took the premise of Our War Game and rebooted it for a brand new audience without doing away with interesting characters, well-built up stakes and satisfying emotional moments - elements that are NOT mutually exclusive with what the reboot has been trying to do.

Now, my hopes and worries moving forwards:

- Taichi seems to be the main focal point of this reboot (like say Araragi from Bakemonogatari), where all the character interactions revolve around him. While this can give the show more focus, it might significantly take away from opportunities for the other characters to shine. (This was already a big issue with the original.)

- Being forced to fend for themselves was one of the biggest impetuses for a lot of the conflicts, self-explorations, reflections and realizations in the original show. (While this has yet to be confirmed,) being able to travel freely to and from the digital world might remove a ton of those opportunities.

- The stakes were set way too high in the first couple of episodes. From here on out, everything might seem super trivial/mundane or ridiculously over the top. I really hope they will be able to maintain a consistent tone for at least the foreseeable future and saving the stakes for when it matters in order to give big boss monsters/events the gravitas they deserve.

- Hopefully, there will be more emphasis and significance placed on evolutions by tying them together with character growth. No, it's not because "I want it to be like the original", but because this will ensure that evolutions won't be reduced to a cheap deus ex machina gimmick that offers no satisfying emotional catharsis.
MetalEmolga7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:46 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Pleasantly surprised at the show, but I really can't get over them using omnimon on episode 3. Why would you go all out at the start of the series? Everything is going to feel like a step down after that, "Oh look, greymon digivolved into metal greymon... cool, I guess, but it's no omnimon". They might forcefully separate them in order to prevent that, storywise, but everything will still feel like a step down from here on action wise.

My best guess is that there going to add new forms down the line. Digimon loves adding new levels. They've gone from four stages to eight.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:42 pm Reply with quote
MetalEmolga7 wrote:
meiam wrote:

My best guess is that there going to add new forms down the line. Digimon loves adding new levels. They've gone from four stages to eight.

Yeah I guess, it feel like the show is going to rush trough forms pretty quickly, I guess one new form will happen every episode. They might bring back omnimon but have him be too weak and then summon omni-mega-mon or something.
TexZero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:06 am Reply with quote
I am super pleased with this reboot thus far and the re-shaping of the story and inclusion of revelant side arcs to expand upon the lore to make a much more comprehensive story than the original release.

With ep5 looking like it will cover the Angel's and Demon's of the digital world and their unique significance before moving onto Koushiro and the other digidestined.

RetroWinnipeg wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out how they're going to shoehorn Mimi and Joe into this troupe...

That's not going to be hard at all given we've already seen Joe. He shows up near the middle of ep3 (~15:30) and it's not hard to have him be transported like the rest.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:08 pm Reply with quote
After seeing the infodump that was ep 5. I think some of my issues have definitely been assuaged and I can settle with Omnimon being a level of power that the characters aspire to. I still have a slight nagging feeling in the back of my mind regarding them showcasing it and resolving the matter at hand so effortlessly and but I'll bury it for now and let the show play out. I do really like the specific wordings and phrasings they use to provide a little fanservice for the older crowd and as a standalone product, I feel like this reboot is working pretty well so far.

With regards to:
Quote:
And as one last odd note, this episode continues with the on-screen names for Digimon, including those we'd already been introduced to, like they're helping us consistently keep track like some Digital-Monster-based Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

I'd like to remind Christopher that ultimately this is a show aimed for children, so on-screen cues and help text is to be expected. Pokemon has the pokedex that it can sneakily integrate with the show but otherwise, this is likely something we'll see throughout the series.

I know Kekkaishi was a particularly big offender where it essentially had entire paragraphs for glossary terms along with reading assistance for Kanji whenever a character mentioned any key words or a key character appeared on screen.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Loving the show so far but dreading the inevitable seventh death of my favorite Digimon. Please let Leomon live this time.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:10 pm Reply with quote
What does everyone think about the fan theory that spoiler[Meiko could possibly appear in the reboot as one of Meicoomon's evolutions makes a cameo in episode 5?]
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
What does everyone think about the fan theory that spoiler[Meiko could possibly appear in the reboot as one of Meicoomon's evolutions makes a cameo in episode 5?]
That would be interesting and if they did do it. I would hope they would add Ken in as well, because in Adventure 2 didn't they retcon in that he was in the digital world the same time as the original cast.
peno

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:12 am Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:

I'd like to remind Christopher that ultimately this is a show aimed for children, so on-screen cues and help text is to be expected. Pokemon has the pokedex that it can sneakily integrate with the show but otherwise, this is likely something we'll see throughout the series.

But Digimon had something similar to Pokédex, with narrator saying small blurb about Digimon appearing, while viewer could read its name, level, type, attribute and attacks on-screen. The dub made it redundant with characters introducing the Digimon, while only its name appearing for dub viewers (since the rest was, interestingly, kept in Japanese), but it was still there. They even made it plot thing with Koushorou getting the Digimon Analyzer later in the story. I was hoping we'll get the same thing again, with Masako Nozawa introducing Digimon appearing, but sadly, they continue with trend started in Xros Wars with only Digimon name appearing and character introducing them, like the dub (and Tamers even in Japanese version) did before. Oh well, whatever. At least we don't have attack names written in colourful text on-screen this time around.
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I think we'll be seeing more than just her.
I think we'll see the kids in america from the movies as well as the lady who goes on to work on the special digimon task force and some of the Adventure - 02 cast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9