• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Digimon Adventure:

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Violet Park

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:44 am Reply with quote
I read Joe's obsession with study differently. He seems desperate for normalcy so he clings to study, and he is scared of doing something dangerous when they don't know for sure if it'll help them to get back home. It also said something about his parents that they raised a child with such skewed priorities because of their obsession with everyone in the family being a doctor.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8 is my favourite so far. As the group gets bigger the character dynamics become more fun.

Gabumon's evolution was cool. I'm guessing the other digimon won't get evolution sequences for their chamption/adult levels, and I'm fine with that.

The show really needs to step it up in terms of fight sequences though. So far none of the fights have been clever. At first it looked like episode 8 was building up to a strategic mission to infiltrate the castle, but at the end of the day all the kids did was run around foolishly hoping not to get shot (and this includes Yamato).
Gwydion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's an arguable issue that can be brought up among fans, that Taichi and Yamato's characterization and power level far outstripped the contributions of the rest of the cast

While I can understand the "trepidation" that comes with the 2020 iterations due to both characters getting stock evos, taking up nearly the entire OP and ED by themselves, as well as the early showing of Omegamon (all things that have made me personally a bit concerned), as for this quote specifically, count me as one who would argue against such a mindset as far as 1999 is concerned. Digimon partner power level does not equal characterization, and body count does not equal the only way to contribute to the group/show.

Quote:
My favorite idea has to be the swiftly-revealed motivation for him blowing off the team to go attack on his own: He remarks about the larger group being a bigger target and not wanting to be held back by "dead weight," only for Gabumon to point out that he really just doesn't want the others to get hurt but doesn't want to admit that.

This was actually a technique used as early as ep 3 of '99, and I'm glad to see it return. Yamato tells Gabumon to go lay next to Takeru, stating that his fur is making him sweat. But Gabumon is the one who informs the audience that what he really means is that he wants him to keep Takeru warm and just doesn't want to admit it/is too shy to say so.

The biggest difference between '20 and '99 Yamato isn't actually how he acts, it's the circumstances he finds himself in. In '99, he was jealous from the get go of Taichi because of Takeru - there are numerous sometimes subtle, sometimes not, references to this in the first 4 episodes alone, not to mention more blatant stuff like in ep 22 when Taichi finds Takeru alone at the amusement park. Takeru always seemed to listen to Taichi, and conversely Taichi was always looking out for Takeru, and being an overprotective brother who no longer lives with or really gets the chance to see Takeru very much, it's not hard to understand why this upsets Yamato (though it takes him 51 eps to admit it).

So as much as I loved Yamato and Takeru's dynamic in '99 (and Takeru just as himself), I'm actually glad he hasn't shown up yet because it takes the biggest point of contention between Yamato and the group/Taichi away, leading for a much different introduction. I am highly curious to see what direction he'll go once Takeru does join up, if making friends with everyone beforehand will change how he reacts.

As for this episode specifically, Yamato has been my favorite character for years (making the review a hard read, admittedly, despite the favorable opinion of the ep), and I loved both how he was introduced to the group and the fact that we got such great moments from everyone else as well. What I love most about '99 is the entire group dynamic, and I was glad to see some of that really shine this episode. I can only hope they keep that up!
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:26 am Reply with quote
Personally I feel like the argument that Taichi and Yamato overshadow the rest of the cast has been somewhat overblown. The only time where I feel like in the OG anime where they overshadowed the rest of the cast was the Our War Game movie. The Adventure cast as a whole were supporting characters in 02 and Sora, Mimi, and Joe were just as active in that season as Taichi and Yamato. Even when Agumon and Gabumon got their Ultimate forms in Adventure, the other Digimon were still active in the battles and they eventually got their Ultimate forms in Tri. Personally I'm fine with the other Digimon getting real time evolutions as the evolution stock footage can often up a good chunk of the episode especially when they get later evolutions and I would rather see more time of the episode devoted to the plot and characterization. I personally wish they stuck with Agumon and Gabumon having real time evolutions like they did in the first three episodes. I specifically remember like half of the final battle of the original Digimon Adventure being stock footage evolution animation.
MetalEmolga7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:59 pm Reply with quote
While I was wary of this reboot at first. So far I have been pleasantly surprised. The first two episodes had good action sequences but felt emotionally hollow. The show has so far only gotten better. Digimon Tri disappointed me because it felt like a slice of life anime that happened to have digimon in it. I was worried they were going to the other extreme and have only mindless action with no breathing room or charectorization. But so far the show looks promising.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I think it's quite obvious that this episode was gonna be Agumon fighting Orgemon while the other children stopped the flying Digimon but you know, Covid.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:28 pm Reply with quote
So with Ultimate level partner digimon looking to be starting next episode and the series rumored to be 66 episodes based off of a Toei Europe listing is anyone else starting to think that they may pull a timeskip and bring in the Adventure 2 kids for the second half, because that would make a lot of sense to me based on how fast they got to Ultimate level digimon so far.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:15 pm Reply with quote
They still haven't shown Takeru or Hikari yet or any of the other main Adventure villains like Etemon or Vamdemon or the Dark Masters. It's not impossible like with Xros Wars and Young Hunters but this season is clearly trying to mix the order up to keep things fresh and they still have a lot of ground to cover with the Adventure cast. It's also possible they might not even use the 02 characters and could just come up with something original.
Treecko Tempo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
They still haven't shown Takeru or Hikari yet or any of the other main Adventure villains like Etemon or Vamdemon or the Dark Masters. It's not impossible like with Xros Wars and Young Hunters but this season is clearly trying to mix the order up to keep things fresh and they still have a lot of ground to cover with the Adventure cast. It's also possible they might not even use the 02 characters and could just come up with something original.
Im with you on that it looks like they are really trying to change things up and I like that a lot, but when I saw the trailer for next week the thought popped into my mind that they were planning to make this a 36 episode season of digimon and streamline the show, but then I saw the 66 episode rumors and I was trying to figure out how they could fill that out if they are getting to Ultimate levels early and bringing in the 02 cast was the only way I could think of, but I would be on board for if they tried something else, it would be fun to see what they come up with.
peno

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Was I the only one who had a chills when Devimon spoke in this episode? Whoever voiced him did such a great impression of the original Devimon's voice that for a moments there I thought I hear Kaneto Shiozawa, even though I know it's impossible. Don't tell me I am the only one who had that moment here?
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:14 pm Reply with quote
"Oh noes, a digimon stronger than Greymon showed up. If only we had some super strong digimon evolution that we've done before to take out stronger enemy. But no we don't have that, our only hope is to run away. Let's especially not use the fact that we outnumber our enemy 6 to 1, that'd be silly".
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:13 am Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Was I the only one who had a chills when Devimon spoke in this episode? Whoever voiced him did such a great impression of the original Devimon's voice that for a moments there I thought I hear Kaneto Shiozawa, even though I know it's impossible. Don't tell me I am the only one who had that moment here?
I was also really impressed by Devimon's voice actor. He did the perfect job with the character and his scene was so creepy. I'm excited to see how they handle him in this reboot especially after Tri spoiler[gave him a rather anticlimactic and pointless cameo in the last movie.]
Gwydion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:19 am Reply with quote
peno wrote:

Yeah, I didn't know about Devimon's original voice actor, but knowing they'd been replacing most of the voices anyway, I just assumed Devimon would have a new one as well. Definitely did a double take when I heard him speak! Here's hoping they use that voice to full effect in the future and make him as threatening as he should be.

I'll admit this episode... wasn't my favorite, but I do like how at least some of the kids personalities continue to shine in small moments (Joe/Gomamon/Mimi's bit about Joe being the "leader", Yamato's line about forcing information out of the bad guys, Koushiro/Kabuterimon's entrance). I can only hope that Taichi and Sora will grow beyond their somewhat bland portrayals so far (not bad, but some flaws would make them much more interesting - luckily there's still plenty of time for that).
peno

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:39 am Reply with quote
@Gwydion
Actually, most of the Digimon who reappeared so far from original did have the same VA. Ogremon definitely had. I am pretty sure if they could, they would've brought Kaneto Shiozawa back. But then again, they even changed some voices they did not need in past (Vamdemon's voice in 02, for example), so who knows.
Gwydion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:04 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
@Gwydion
Actually, most of the Digimon who reappeared so far from original did have the same VA. Ogremon definitely had. I am pretty sure if they could, they would've brought Kaneto Shiozawa back. But then again, they even changed some voices they did not need in past (Vamdemon's voice in 02, for example), so who knows.

I did know about most of the kids' partners' voices coming back (save for Palmon and Tailmon), but admittedly Ogremon talked so little (and in such fragmented sentences) that I honestly didn't even notice that he was the same too. Interesting! I'll have to keep a better ear out in the future!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9