• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Listeners

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:29 pm Reply with quote
OK, maybe I should have said "fails to develop a self-consistent conceptual basis for it's world" but I see your point. I am not a fan of BS science explanations myself and am fine with "it's just FN magic" but I have a personal aversion to randomness in stories. For instance I loved Flip-Flappers but it wasn't random or without explanation or self-consistent concept, it was firmly established that things were happening in pseudo-alternate realities shaped by people's psyches. E7 had "trappars" but Listeners doesn't seem to have anything analogous. If "it's rock 'n roll baby" works for you, enjoy but it doesn't work for me.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I understand now... and I agree. Even if I don't need to know how the amp works, I'd be glad if basic concepts were any consistent. What are Players anyway? They're still very vague and the show doesn't seem like irt wants to explore that as a question.
Even the TONE isn't settled yet. It seemed to be about living with a glimmer of hope in a gritty world, but the further it goes the more it leans on weirdness, until they feel like reminding us that this wacky world is kind of serious and dark.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But by god I just do not have the patience to sit through most of their LPs.

No one said you had to listen to it all in one sitting. Smile

I somehow thought Mu's bangle was a crystal that lit up. I don't know why I'm surprised to learn it's an old vacuum tube.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm decidedly not a fan of mind control stories, which is almost certainly what's happening with Mu, but I can't deny the cliffhanger worked well for me.

My money on, spoiler[not brainwash, but clone. Mu is one of many experimental clones of Jimmy. Nir is going to try get revenge on Mu, they fight, and then at end, all realize is big happy misunderstanding, kiss/make up, then start go-go dancing on roof as Godzilla returns to destroy city, I throw up (as a result of shoddy writing), the end]. Next episode, fight clone lab and corrupt city. That my opinion.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tommy Walker is decidedly different from his namesake, as he doesn't so much as touch a pinball machine this whole episode.

I think Mu and Echo are the pinballs he's controlling on the table.

Quote:
And rather than starting a 70's cult he's gone a different route and formed a child army

Same thing, just different ages (at least if you've seen the movie).

Quote:
The audience can tell from a mile away

I think you meant from 8 miles high. Wink Not even sure what that reference was doing in the episode.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:17 pm Reply with quote
My main relationship with English language music is through Jojo stands, so I might be missing on a lot of stuff. But it does make "Purple Haze shower" as a concept sound VERY [menacing].
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:40 pm Reply with quote
One thing that I forgot to mention a couple eps back, and the review didn't bother with either, was Lyde creating his own jack apparently through sheer willpower. That seems like a pretty significant piece of information about Players. I had figured they were either born with jacks or had them implanted by the government. But if people can become Players out of their own desire, then neither of those imagined methods would be necessary or logical.

I'm also still confused about where Equipment comes from. Mu and Nir just seem to manifest it out of nothing when they're jacked in to an amp. But then there's other Equipment just lying around Playerless, like the one Lyde and Ritchie salvaged, or the ones on the stage at the Watchtower. Why didn't those disappear when disconnected from their Players?

I wonder if Echo will regain his will to fight and become a Player himself to stop Mu?
Kjupiter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:09 pm Reply with quote
It is completely bizarre to me that the forum seems devoted to arguing about the BS pseudo-science of giant mecha (and it will always be BS because the concept is ludicrous on its face—which is fine, because giant robots destroying things are cool, and deep down that’s really all there is to it). I know that this particular pathology is endemic to giant mech fandom, but geez...

As insufferable as pedantic music snobbery is, I feel as if this forum would be 10X more FUN if it just embraced the profound silliness of the series and devolved into an extended thread nit-picking ridiculous dad-rock references. I mean, it’s fairly obvious that this is the whole point of Listeners. Really, the only thing differentiating this show from other mediocre giant mecha anime is that its thin story is probably based on nothing more than an excuse for the creative team to flex their vinyl collection. It’s so dumb, and I’m kind of here for it? I don’t think having any sort of cogent explanation for the mechs, or internal logic to its word-building would make it any better. It would just make the show dumb in less fun way.

Then again, I’m not very literal-minded, so I don’t really care how the imaginary robots work (it seems rather beside the point). What I want to know is why we’re three episodes into the Londonium location and only just now get a Clash cameo (and is that all the punk we’re getting? Really? Not even a brief, irreverent nod to Ramones? At least the Nirvana episode managed a Pixies reference, among others)?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Kjupiter wrote:
It is completely bizarre to me that the forum seems devoted to arguing about the BS pseudo-science of giant mecha

You could've just said "I dunno." Smile In this thread I think it's just me who's interested in those details, which should make it easy to ignore like everyone else does.
Brack

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Kjupiter wrote:
Then again, I’m not very literal-minded, so I don’t really care how the imaginary robots work (it seems rather beside the point). What I want to know is why we’re three episodes into the Londonium location and only just now get a Clash cameo (and is that all the punk we’re getting? Really? Not even a brief, irreverent nod to Ramones? At least the Nirvana episode managed a Pixies reference, among others)?

You've had the three leads from Quadrophenia in the last two episodes too, including Sting as Marshal Ace (named for his character Ace Face), who if not punk, was punk-adjacent.

Plus AC/DC, probably The Vaselines and I think Demented Are Go were the other acts due to play at the Brighton Beach festival. And there was a poster for Therapy? along with the previously-alluded-to Dinosaur Junior in legally-not-Vivienne Westwood's flat.

The scatter shot nature suggests the equivalent of writing your favourite bands names on the cover of your exercise book rather than a cohesive whole.

Curious if we will get the Kinks given their position as a key influence on the Group Sounds bands when we get to the episode called "Hello, Goodbye" or if that will be solely Beatles focused rather than a general "British Invasion" episode.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Is anyone else really bothered that the Jimi Hendrix homage character is white?
PotatoGirl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

It's legitimately the only part of this anime that gets on my nerves. Prince was the right color, why the fudge couldn't you do the same for Jimi???
Brack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:23 pm Reply with quote
PotatoGirl wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

It's legitimately the only part of this anime that gets on my nerves. Prince was the right color, why the fudge couldn't you do the same for Jimi???

He was never the Jimi Hendrix stand-in in the first place. spoiler[It's Echo]
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I was pondering whether Tommy knew way WAY more than he let on or he was just doing wild things whose meaning he can't grasp and hope it turns out in his favor. Turns out it was the latter.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:06 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I wonder if Echo will regain his will to fight and become a Player himself to stop Mu?

See, musing on the mechanics isn't entirely a waste of time. Razz

I didn't hate this episode, but I sure wish they'd have found a better way to unravel things besides a massive info dump.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3