• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
In the World of Otome Games, All Routes Lead To Romance

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:18 pm Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
I know they do focus more on the (male) seiyuu, and usually, it's for a select few games at a time. It's like a live drama CD, basically. I'll look and see what I can find out about lives, especially for Kaori Oda.

CDJapan does sell Otomate OSTs though, and I think Otomate Record's site has a way to buy the songs on itunes or something? Making a JPN itunes account isn't too hard, if you want to support her on there. I don't know if they put lives on there too.

Thanks, from 2011 to 2019 I visited Japan 28 times so picking up secondhand copies in Japan has been an option, just not sure when it will next be possible to visit.

Plus Japan Post have suspended deliveries which makes it difficult for me as I prefer collecting from the local post office than having DHL / Fedex / UPS / ... deliveries that may happen when I'm not home and then having to travel to the airport to pick them up.
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
So if you haven't played an otome game yet, what's stopping you?
Didn't finish it as it got too repetitive and boring.
This made me raise my eyebrows as compared to many visual novels Doki Doki Literature Club is very short. From a VN reader point of view (granted I haven't read otome VNs except Hatoful Boyfriend) Doki Doki Literature Club is over so soon that it hasn't even the chance of repetition.

And speaking of DDLC, personally I don't like the idea of "DDLC is to VN's what Madoka is to magical girl genre". The reason is that I think Madoka is a natural consequence of the existence of the magical girl genre. As long as such a popular genre exists it is natural that there are different takes on the genre and I think Madoka is fitting continuation in the tradition of the genre.

On the other hand, DDLC doesn't feel like a sincere work of fiction but a collection of techiques or a proof of concept project on the things that are possible with digital storytelling. Reading DDLC I don't feel much love towards other visual novels from the creator. It could be the opposite of love that is maybe the creator was comfortable using the VN genre, because for him the genre is irrelevant so he can say that the project is just a joke if he needs to. (I admit that this is an uncharitable take and I haven't read on Dan Salvato's thoughts on creating DDLC.)

To clarify, I don't really dislike DDLC as I thought it was quite interesting, and it may even have a positive effect on visual novels as general, but I don't still buy the comparison to Madoka.
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:29 am Reply with quote
Yay otome games! I love hot anime guys. My only issue with these games is that I don't have enough time, or own the right platforms, to play all the ones I want. /pout

I own both Hakuoki (Edo Blossoms and Kyoto Winds) games on Steam.

On my phone, I play Ayakashi: Romance Reborn, Honey Magazine, and while it's more a rhythm game than an otome, I will also mention Uta-no-Prince Sama.

My tablet has my favorite otome that I play, Samurai Love Ballad: Party. I've been playing for years (and I've spent quite a bit of real money too) and while the samurai men are hot, the ninjas are even hotter (Kyoichiro has complete control of my heart).

But while I may not always have the time to play more otome games, I always watch anime based on said games, even if it's usually pretty obvious who the protagonist will end up with.
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:01 am Reply with quote
I think my favorite is Code:Realize, then tie is Princess Debut and Sweet Fuse. Code:Realize just had an amazing cast and story and I like the different takes on the heroine depending on the route. Princess Debut, more for the kiddos, but still enjoy a fairy tale try to dance and bring out the guy type thing, lol! Sweet Fuse I like how the heroine takes no mess and good agency.
starlightshine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:27 am Reply with quote
Time Bandit wrote:
and while it's more a rhythm game than an otome, I will also mention Uta-no-Prince Sama.

To be fair, the one on mobile is more of a rhythm game than actual otome. We're sadly probably never getting the actual console Utapri otome games localized.

--

An otome article feature?! Didn't expect this, though I'm very pleased to see it! Some solid choices in there (Kenka Banchou Otome localization when?! And Hatoful Boyfriend is always a delight - I'm being sincere here, not sarcastic). Had a good laugh with the infamous cage meme. No Cybird mention though? I haven't played much of it myself, though my friends seem to enjoy it - be warned that there are some more sexual content in there (more in the side stories and whatnot than the main routes, I believe), for those who are uncomfortable with it.

And for original English otome (what we call OELVN, original English language visual novels), I also want to give a shout-out to Zeiva - love their works. X-note is their most popular, quite traditional otome style (with a mystery), Area-X is my favourite (featuring time travel, a hilariously snarky heroine, and an interesting sci-fi plot), Dragon Essence is a delight for those who love historical Asian stories, and Animal Complex a light-hearted comedy featuring animal transformations reminiscent of Fruits Basket. They also have other non-otome visual novels as well! Ahh, maybe I should use this lockdown period to replay Area-X again...
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:08 am Reply with quote
Mr. Nescio wrote:
On the other hand, DDLC doesn't feel like a sincere work of fiction but a collection of techiques or a proof of concept project on the things that are possible with digital storytelling. Reading DDLC I don't feel much love towards other visual novels from the creator. It could be the opposite of love that is maybe the creator was comfortable using the VN genre, because for him the genre is irrelevant so he can say that the project is just a joke if he needs to. (I admit that this is an uncharitable take and I haven't read on Dan Salvato's thoughts on creating DDLC.)

DDLC is more of a parody than an earnest VN. It's for streamers and influencers to freak out over, and doesn't do anything unique that Japanese VNs like Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi and Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni did years ago. It's just it's more mainstream among regular gamers than Japanese VNs are since it can fit in the same boat as other mainstream internet games like Baldi's Basics and Five Nights at Freddies.

I look forward to when the new Higurashi anime comes out in a few months and people accuse it of being a DDLC rip off.
Aokani

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Nice article Smile
I really want to recommend Nightshade on Steam. The route with Hanzo is my absolute favourite route of all otomes *_*
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:40 pm Reply with quote
starlightshine wrote:

And for original English otome (what we call OELVN, original English language visual novels), I also want to give a shout-out to Zeiva - love their works. X-note is their most popular, quite traditional otome style (with a mystery), Area-X is my favourite (featuring time travel, a hilariously snarky heroine, and an interesting sci-fi plot), Dragon Essence is a delight for those who love historical Asian stories, and Animal Complex a light-hearted comedy featuring animal transformations reminiscent of Fruits Basket. They also have other non-otome visual novels as well! Ahh, maybe I should use this lockdown period to replay Area-X again...

Woah, that was a blast from the past! I remember when Zeiva released their games on deviantart...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2