• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Secrets of Final Fantasy VII's Success

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:18 am Reply with quote
This article need spoiler alert! I'm so annoyed! spoiler[Aerith death?!]
I stoped reading it. I'm only at chapter 11 of remake and didn't play the original game. Please add it!
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:17 am Reply with quote
YH wrote:
I stoped reading it. I'm only at chapter 11 of remake and didn't play the original game. Please add it!

Immediately after I read this, I was all "Are you serious? How could you NOT know about this?!"

But then I realized how old the original game is, and now I'm sad.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
YH wrote:

Immediately after I read this, I was all "Are you serious? How could you NOT know about this?!"

Sad about how back in the day (or the fact you can now say "back in my day") you paid $ for a game and received and entire game plus all sorts of goodies...

Or sad that somehow someway they did not know Aerith dies... I'll spoil something else.. the Titanic sinks.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
YH wrote:

No kidding, I'm suddenly realizing there are adults who weren't even born when the game came out. The limits of pop culture osmosis; same reason I wouldn't spoil Murder on the Orient Express despite it being so damned old

Last edited by AiddonValentine on Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Northlander wrote:
YH wrote:

Sad about how back in the day (or the fact you can now say "back in my day") you paid $ for a game and received and entire game plus all sorts of goodies...

Or sad that somehow someway they did not know Aerith dies... I'll spoil something else.. the Titanic sinks.

The game is 23 years old and you're shocked that people in their early 20's don't know plot points from it. The only plot points from the 80's Scarface I know about is the very ending itself. I know about Apocalypse Now, and 2001: A Space Odyssey because I watched it in a film class.

If you got into gaming through Kingdom Hearts, then chances are you don't know the actual plot because the Final Fantasy Cameos are not about the actual games themselves.

It's entirely possible that people bought the game because they saw other older fans really excited about it.
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:43 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:

This. I was actually gonna make that joke too, but let's face it: important events in real life are always going to trump game ones, even as big as this one. Not that younger generations might necessarily have heard about the Titanic and what happened to it, but they'll be more likely to hear about that -- or the Hindenburg, if you will -- than the fact that Aeris dies. Or that Darth Vader really is Luke's father... well, except we have newer movies now to remind us of that.

But yes, my comment is an "oh God, I'm old" kind of a joke. I can actually believe that people today would not necessarily know about it.
YH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:15 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Northlander wrote:
YH wrote:

Actually I'm 29, but didn't have playstation back in the days, and only recently got back into games after playing Nier Automata. This kind of games is on point with my taste, so I feel at home. You can't wrong me for wanting spoiler free experience. And no, it's not like the Titanic. Games from Japan where nich of the nich.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:45 am Reply with quote
YH wrote:

Actually I'm 29, but didn't have playstation back in the days, and only recently got back into games after playing Nier Automata. This kind of games is on point with my taste, so I feel at home. You can't wrong me for wanting spoiler free experience. And no, it's not like the Titanic. Games from Japan where nich of the nich.

FF7 wasn't such a nich game...Part of Squaresoft's FF7 media blitz was running primetime TV spots -"If he succeeds...you survive.If he fails,you can always press the reset button"- across North America.
I was hooked into buying a Playstation because of the "A love that can never be " spot-where Cloud release's Aerith into the Lifestream.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
The game is 23 years old and you're shocked that people in their early 20's don't know plot points from it. The only plot points from the 80's Scarface I know about is the very ending itself. I know about Apocalypse Now, and 2001: A Space Odyssey because I watched it in a film class.

If you got into gaming through Kingdom Hearts, then chances are you don't know the actual plot because the Final Fantasy Cameos are not about the actual games themselves.

It's entirely possible that people bought the game because they saw other older fans really excited about it.

My girlfriend is 22 and she's never played the original FF7 prior to the remake. She's just now getting around to playing to see what happens next. She doesn't know the big spoiler, or anything else about it aside from the characters being in the Kingdom Hearts games.

Older folks like to think the media they grew up with is universal, and that everyone from all future generations will just somehow automatically know it and have seen/played it, but it's not. My first exposure to Star Wars was the prequels, just like I'm sure kids today will be the sequels. I eventually went back and saw the original trilogy at a later date.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2