• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Index VS Railgun: Settling the Debate Once and For All

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eivion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Only seen the anime, but I prefer Index to Railgun generally speaking. I just find the actual plots and characters more interesting though Railgun gives it a run for its money at times. I do think Railgun is the better show overall due to direction, but I probably still take the first season of Index over everything else animated so far.

As far as characters go I find Touma and Misaka honestly about even. Kuroko only is annoying around Misaka. Any time she is away from Misaka though I find her to be perfectly fine. The echi creep elements from her can be occasionally amusing, but they are pushed a bit too far and way too often.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:34 pm Reply with quote
BalmungHHQ wrote:
This would be a much better article if it didn't assume people are "supposed to" dislike Index III, which is one of the most frustrating norms of the Raildex fandom.

Yes, as an adaptation it's not ideal, but I thought it was really, really good and interesting. It has the quick pacing and self-contained stories I enjoy out of the Index franchise. I loved how much it expanded on the stories of other characters like Accelerator and Hamazura. While it could've used a few more episodes for breathing room, I thought it was mostly a good and engaging viewing experience, especially on rewatches where you're able to focus on what everything happening contributes to the overall series lore. It made me want to catch up on the novels sometime, because I love the world Kamachi's been forming.

Anyway, Railgun's fine. Because it has the pace of a manga and all of the anime original content it moves much slower, as explained in the article. But it's still generally less interesting than Index to me, even as an anime. No matter how amazing they make everything look, or how things are paced or presented, I think what's more important is the core of each story, and Index wins for me because it just has so much more to offer.
That said, I'll admit Railgun's Daihasei Festival arc has been a real treat though.

I literally couldn't follow Index III without keeping a wiki tab open. Even then I struggled to keep track of who did what.
Zaiu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:21 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
BalmungHHQ wrote:
This would be a much better article if it didn't assume people are "supposed to" dislike Index III, which is one of the most frustrating norms of the Raildex fandom.

Yes, as an adaptation it's not ideal, but I thought it was really, really good and interesting. It has the quick pacing and self-contained stories I enjoy out of the Index franchise. I loved how much it expanded on the stories of other characters like Accelerator and Hamazura. While it could've used a few more episodes for breathing room, I thought it was mostly a good and engaging viewing experience, especially on rewatches where you're able to focus on what everything happening contributes to the overall series lore. It made me want to catch up on the novels sometime, because I love the world Kamachi's been forming.

Anyway, Railgun's fine. Because it has the pace of a manga and all of the anime original content it moves much slower, as explained in the article. But it's still generally less interesting than Index to me, even as an anime. No matter how amazing they make everything look, or how things are paced or presented, I think what's more important is the core of each story, and Index wins for me because it just has so much more to offer.
That said, I'll admit Railgun's Daihasei Festival arc has been a real treat though.

I literally couldn't follow Index III without keeping a wiki tab open. Even then I struggled to keep track of who did what.

This is only really reasonable for maybe perhaps 1 arc? Because otherwise, if you're watching Index 3 with Index 2 fresh in the mind then you should know exactly what's going on for the first and third arc guaranteed, and the cast in the 2nd arc while messy still at least very much explain what they're trying to do(such as Kakine, who literally states "THIS is what I did THIS for". From that point on if you really just pay attention then you should know what the overarching problem for both Accelerator and Touma is supposed to be throughout the season.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:46 am Reply with quote
Fascinating article, and one I enjoyed reading. I confess, I have only seen the Index/Railgun anime (And haven't watched Accelerator) and not read the novels.

I do prefer Railgun myself, but not for the reasons you mentioned. I like Touma and Misaka as protagonists, and while I agree that the smaller focus of Railgun helps me keep track of all the characters without having the wiki open that isn't really it either.

I HATE Index. I mean I HATE her. Like in all of anime she is probably second only to Shinji from the Fate franchise in my hatred list, and he is SUPPOSED to be a hated monster.

After the first arc when Touma saved her she became nothing but a hindrance to this franchise. She is loud, rude, borderline stupid, and adds nothing to the franchise. She treats Touma like garbage. I don't mean in like a Tsundere. Tsundere can be rude and harsh to the protagonist but you still get some affection. Misaka is more of a Tsundere. Index is just a little cow. She freeloads in Toumas house, eats all his food, pays for nothing, bites him, treats his friends like crap and has almost gotten him killed several times. She has never... EVER said thank you to him.

I haven't read the books, I don't know if she suddenly becomes more than a Deus Ex "Stops Magic" at any point further on, but I can't think of a single episode of the Index anime where her presence adds anything meaningful going forward.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:52 am Reply with quote
Zaiu wrote:
explain what they're trying to do(such as Kakine, who literally states "THIS is what I did THIS for". From that point on if you really just pay attention then you should know what the overarching problem for both Accelerator and Touma is supposed to be throughout the season.

yeah, that was one of the problems when we were talking about it; it relied too much on narration because it coud not get bothered to show things.
Zaiu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:04 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Zaiu wrote:
explain what they're trying to do(such as Kakine, who literally states "THIS is what I did THIS for". From that point on if you really just pay attention then you should know what the overarching problem for both Accelerator and Touma is supposed to be throughout the season.

yeah, that was one of the problems when we were talking about it; it relied too much on narration because it coud not get bothered to show things.

That doesn't make any sense though? From the prior season you should know WHY Touma is in the conflict he's in with GRS, from that point on it just ramps up with the taking of Index. From Index 2 it's also been established that Accelerator was just looking for a chance to get back at Academy City, which is what Index 3 also picks up on after the 2nd arc, his role in the last arc is also because of his overarching ideals and feelings towards LO. Nothing of what I said is an overrelliance of narration(if anything, if it had more narration than it does the Index anime would be better).

Index 3 assumes you remember at the very least, some of Index 1 and the later half of Index 2. Which is why before it aired they had these massive reruns.
Sabruness

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I started out with the first season of Railgun (almost by accident and before S was made) which caught me because of the interesting scientific theme and i was hooked. I then went digging for more and found Index. Watched the first season of Index and read the first few novels but.. i just couldnt get into. It felt... bloated, muddled and not catching.

To me, it lacked the spark that Railgun has. Maybe it was the off-the-rails heavy fantasy and magic (not that i have an issue with fantasy) that just didn't enthrall me where as the relatively more grounded and (sometimes) introspective nature of Railgun did. Railgun also benefited from not having enough content, allowing for the anime original content which fit in well with the general feel, whereas Index's content bloat meant it suffered from the common problem of adapting novels to anime.

Another nice feature of Railgun is that legitimately strong female characters are front and centre, making up most of the core cast. Touma, however, feels like the standard cut-and-paste milquetoast protag that was popular back when the novels were written (and is still prominent to an extent today.).

Quote:
As the franchise moved into the 2010s, Railgun tapped into the mood and trends of the time, while Index was feeling more and more like a time capsule of early and mid-00s fantasy anime, especially when it came to the needlessly complicated lore in the magic side of its worldbuilding.

This as well.
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:26 am Reply with quote
I forgot to mention Saten is another character I actually don't like, but not to the extent of Kuroko.
I don't understand this chick's tic of flicking skirts up and doesn't get punishment for it.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 12:48 am Reply with quote
The one thing we can agree on regarding Index S3 - it still had great opening and ending songs in line with all of the other seasons of Raildex.
Anneyuno1

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:26 pm Reply with quote
My problem with this franchise has always been, touma. Index had some curious concept and interesting secondary characters like accelerator, but when touma appeared it was as if the series automatically went bad.I describe him as an intermittent personality character because he always seems to change his attitude depending on what suits the situation. for example when he is with the nun most of the time he seems indifferent to her, then he seems to hate her, but when he is in danger she seems to become the most precious person to him

And exactly as @Izanagi009 mentions Touma drains Misaka of her personality she get reduced to forced tsundere, while in railgun he has a lot of personality, but when he appears she only knows to blush in fact many characters become idiots when they are close to Touma.
Railgun is not saved from characters that I detest, but none unpleasant character in railgun is the protagonist or spends too much time on screen. Maybe that's why I only tolerate Touma in Railgun because he has almost no role.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3