• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime vs. The NES

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 1:26 pm Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
That may be true today, but there was a lot more Japanophobia back then; the Boomer and Gen-Xer parents of that era would've been the children of the generations that fought in or otherwise experienced WWII. Plus, Marketing demanded that American Kirby had to be hardcore.

In the 80s, Japan was feared not because of a war from 40 years prior, but because, at the time, they were an economic powerhouse and a strong competitor to the US; there was a lot of concern that the Japanese were "taking over" Western markets.

This. My grandfather told me that people didn't necessarily hate Japan, but their rise as a major competitor in the states to native brands pushed a lot of "Buy American products!" attitudes in the industry. Rebranding Japanese games disguised the Japanese origin. Ultimately, the move was unsuccessful because Japanese products were just... better most of the time. Though, I suppose you could say that ultimately ultimately, everyone lost because now everyone depends on poor countries to produce their goods.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
R. Kasahara wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
That may be true today, but there was a lot more Japanophobia back then; the Boomer and Gen-Xer parents of that era would've been the children of the generations that fought in or otherwise experienced WWII. Plus, Marketing demanded that American Kirby had to be hardcore.

In the 80s, Japan was feared not because of a war from 40 years prior, but because, at the time, they were an economic powerhouse and a strong competitor to the US; there was a lot of concern that the Japanese were "taking over" Western markets.

This. My grandfather told me that people didn't necessarily hate Japan, but their rise as a major competitor in the states to native brands pushed a lot of "Buy American products!" attitudes in the industry. Rebranding Japanese games disguised the Japanese origin. Ultimately, the move was unsuccessful because Japanese products were just... better most of the time. Though, I suppose you could say that ultimately ultimately, everyone lost because now everyone depends on poor countries to produce their goods.

Totally right. Heck, there are tons of 1980s sci fi that talked about how Japan was going to take over and become involved in US life. Ironically, that never happened, and now the worry is China, who was seen at the time as an inferior copy of Japan.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:37 pm Reply with quote
R. Kasahara wrote:

Which, in the end, has more to do with capitalism than anything with Japan just having to get the bigger slice of the pie. I also find the takeover "fears" from the U.S. to be hilarious as this was the decade where "greed is good" ruled the market.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:14 am Reply with quote
It made sense that they changed the style to look less anime-like back then in order to sell the product. The mainstream wasn't ready for it yet.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Man, imagine buying Krion Conquest thinking you'll get a hardcore story about some sexy chick in a vaguely nurse-witch like outfit, only for the first cutscene to kick in and she looks, like, 10.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:17 am Reply with quote
The Little Nemo game was one of the better looking at the time, especially relative to the movie

Ya had to have a lot of luck to beat Destiny of An Emperor since at the end, if the last boss revives his forces just before ya could finish him, ya won't have enough to beat him and have to start the 1-hr journey to the boss + last battle all over again

KabaKabaFruit wrote:
R. Kasahara wrote:

Which, in the end, has more to do with capitalism than anything with Japan just having to get the bigger slice of the pie. I also find the takeover "fears" from the U.S. to be hilarious as this was the decade where "greed is good" ruled the market.

TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 8:16 am Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
It made sense that they changed the style to look less anime-like back then in order to sell the product. The mainstream wasn't ready for it yet.

That may be, but they did so with horribly done images that scream don't buy me.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Lin Liren wrote:
Ah, the children of these Asian hating-executives must be the same tweeting-klansmen trash who got Rose Tico cut from a Hero to a silent 76-second Asian-menial-stereotype in The Rise of Skywalker. Anything to make Heroic Fantasy, even those explicitly based on Asian Samurai and Wuxia films, safe and white for little blonde hair blue eyed Aryan Timmy and Jane, lest their hair turns black and their skins turn olive playing and watching them, eh?

Imagine having this much of a persecution complex. Yikes on bikes.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:14 pm Reply with quote
While there was DEFINITELY some racial animus towards Japan in the 80s (as others have pointed out, due more to guys like Lee Iacocca stoking racist hatred in the face of stiff competition and lost American jobs), there was also a huge fear of foreign-ness in general. A lot of parents sort of instinctively tried to protect their kids from unfamiliar things from the orient.

Here's a sterling example of the way Americans thought of Japanese back in the day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH1K7CeA9aQ
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:25 am Reply with quote
If it looks foreign, people will think it's too weird and not for them
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2