• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Detective Conan: Episode One, Love Hina Again, S-CRY-ed Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Really happy about scryed. I still have that bulky set that bandai released and have been wanting to upgrade to a space saving case for sometime. Now if they could get their hands on Maze and Saber Marionette.
Hopefully they release symphogear soon so I can buy everything all at once.
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I have not seen...Combattler V, but have wanted to see it Ever Since reading Marvel Comics Shogun Warriors as a pre teen.
Ampharos

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:59 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Ampharos wrote:
Does this mean they're gonna release Love Hina, or is Funi still holding on to that one?

For now, they’ve only announced plans to release the OVAs. They said nothing about the TV series, although it does appear that Funimation’s license has lapsed.

I guess they'll pick it up if the OVAs sell well. It's a pretty beloved series, I can't imagine it not getting re-released at some point.
FrodoGate222

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Discotek will release the 1969 A Thousand and One Nights (Senya Ichiya Monogatari) film on Blu-ray with English subtitles and a "classic, long-lost dub" thanks to a newly restoration.

So another piece of lost media has been found?
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 3:07 pm Reply with quote
I like Xander Mobus but I feel like he's too young to play Kogoro. Wendee Lee and Cristina Vee seem like good choices though.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow Memories, my favourite Otomo film, is getting a dub. I hope it is nothing short of excellent. I'm sort of surprised, they rarely dub any of their older titles, even Lupin titles don't always get a dub.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Some thoughts:
-A new dub of Conan without the Funimation names? Hmmm. I'd prefer consistancy, but oh well. And Wendee Lee as Conan? Hope it's not just her Konata voice.

-Memories should look gorgeous on Bluray. An English audio option is long overdue.

-More Lum on Bluray! I'd be curious to see which aspect ratio these are in. Beautiful Dreamer was open-matte like the AnimEigo DVDs of the other Lum films, but cropped to recreate the theatrical experience.

FrodoGate222 wrote:
Quote:
Discotek will release the 1969 A Thousand and One Nights (Senya Ichiya Monogatari) film on Blu-ray with English subtitles and a "classic, long-lost dub" thanks to a newly restoration.

So another piece of lost media has been found?

Yes, this dub was so rare people on the net thought its existence was a myth. Supposedly it's a different edit of the film that contains a scene that's missing from the Japanese version. I'm shocked they managed to actually find this lost relic. Don't know if it was ever screened in the West.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Heh, and Memories marks yet another title that I imported a year or two ago and winds up getting a domestic release. You're welcome, everyone! Laughing

Same here, got the Aussie BD release of Memories, but will pick up Disco's version as well. A new dub should be rewarded with a purchase, plus I can show it to friends who are dub only.
I will also probably pick up Demon City, but I would prefer to have Wicked City on BD.
horseradish

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:11 pm Reply with quote

Last edited by horseradish on Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Wendee Lee as Conan Edogawa
I can not recall the last time she voiced a boy who was part of the main cast, usually I only ever see her play younger versions or minor boy roles.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Wendy Lee does not really sound great as Conan. She just sounds like a female trying to use a male voice. She doesn't sound like a child at all.
IanC

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:27 pm Reply with quote
An English dub for Memories? Loved that film!
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I just wish the series were a little more varied. I'd love to see an old sports anime or something really girly like Lady Lady.

Agreed. Old shoujo stuff in particular definitely deserves more love. Stuff like Fancy Lala, Wedding Peach, and many other shows deserve a re-release, and shows like Pretty Cure, Jewelpet, Sally the Witch, Himitsu no Akko-chan, Tokyo Mew Mew, and definitely Lady Lady deserve to be put on Blu-Ray here.'

Discotek also announced that they're no longer going to put out DVDs and putting more focus on BDs. I am kinda sad about that, as DVDs have been a big part of my life, but I do own a Blu-Ray player now, so I might as well make the transition.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:51 pm Reply with quote
VampireNaomi wrote:
I'm really excited about Dragon of Doom being rereleased. It wasn't listed as an announcement during the panel, but if it has been announced somewhere earlier, I totally missed it. I've been hoping to see this on BD for a long time. The Funimation DVD I have looks like trash.

It's a good movie, but it's marred by Yasuo Yamada's performance as Lupin. The poor man literally recorded his lines on his deathbed and it's painful to listen to.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 5:06 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
Wendy Lee does not really sound great as Conan. She just sounds like a female trying to use a male voice. She doesn't sound like a child at all.
I did not believe you one bit, she did a good job as TK and Yahiko. So I went and watched the trailer for the other one she did, and sadly you are correct. I would even say it is worse than that, she sounds like a female doing a female voice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4