• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Does Promare Still Bring the Heat?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Grimvice wrote:
Ok honestly....

Why the hell are people still freaking out about a firefighter giving CPR to another dude?

bUt ThEy'Re ToTaLlY kIsSiNg GuYs ItS cAnOn.

Because it's framed as a romantic kiss and not as utilitarian CPR, it's followed by the screenshotted innuendo, the entire movie revolves around their relationship (which doesn't in itself make such a relationship romantic -- see Frozen -- but is heavily correlated), and it uses a piece of fantastical worldbuilding deliberately designed to operate through kissing when Trigger could've had it just be putting the flame in the chest.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:14 am Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Actually, shipping is a valid form of engaging with, interpreting, and reinterpreting text that is as old as storytelling itself and a lot of popular media wouldn't exist without it!

I wonder if John Boyega, J.J Abrams, the cast and crew of various CW shows who've suffered death threats like Arrow and Riverdale, those people who worked on Netflix's Voltron, and many other people in the media industry all feel the same way. Death threats, violence, and toxicity over ships not being canon and general shipping wars is an increasing thing in nerd culture. And from what I remember there was a lot of toxicity among the Promare shippers while it was playing in theaters and on social media ruining it for other theater attendees and fans.

Shay Guy wrote:
Because it's framed as a romantic kiss and not as utilitarian CPR, it's followed by the screenshotted innuendo, the entire movie revolves around their relationship (which doesn't in itself make such a relationship romantic -- see Frozen -- but is heavily correlated), and it uses a piece of fantastical worldbuilding deliberately designed to operate through kissing when Trigger could've had it just be putting the flame in the chest.

There were women who were legitimately upset Elsa and Anna were not a couple in Frozen 2 and deemed the film as having chickened out by refusing to go that route. 6 years between the films rallying and obsessing over it.

The problem with innuendo and 'it's so obvious, can't you see it?!' is that, well, no, obviously not everyone can see it Laughing Plenty of people just see a cigar for a cigar as the saying goes. It's fine to fantasize and stuff, but once people start crossing into the realm of insulting people or making actual threats for not "seeing the obvious" well, that's when the fandom becomes toxic and gatekeep-y which is never good.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:54 am Reply with quote
Not trying to start any internet fights, but it seems like a lot of negativity on this site comes out when talking about potential yaoi/BL ships as opposed to yuri ships. Fandom shipping happens: some people have fun with it, and some people take it too far. Every fandom has its toxic side. In terms of shipping, if it's not something you're interested in, just move on and stop ruining other people's fun (providing that the fun is in good nature).

As for Promare, it was phenomenal. I took my older brother with me on opening night in September and we had a blast. I remember mouthing the lyrics to "Inferno" like 3-4 times during the movie. The audience was respectable and nobody ruined the experience for anyone. It was an all-around good time, and I was thinking of seeing it in theaters again in February/March before Covid-19 hit. Hopefully I'll be able to own the movie soon so I can show it to my friends when we're not on lock-down anymore Very Happy

Thanks for the write-up, Steve and Nick, it was hilarious. I, too, refer to Galo as "the himbo." The boy has such big himbo energy! Laughing
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 11:29 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Actually, shipping is a valid form of engaging with, interpreting, and reinterpreting text that is as old as storytelling itself and a lot of popular media wouldn't exist without it!

I wonder if John Boyega, J.J Abrams, the cast and crew of various CW shows who've suffered death threats like Arrow and Riverdale, those people who worked on Netflix's Voltron, and many other people in the media industry all feel the same way. Death threats, violence, and toxicity over ships not being canon and general shipping wars is an increasing thing in nerd culture. And from what I remember there was a lot of toxicity among the Promare shippers while it was playing in theaters and on social media ruining it for other theater attendees and fans.

Shay Guy wrote:

There were women who were legitimately upset Elsa and Anna were not a couple in Frozen 2 and deemed the film as having chickened out by refusing to go that route. 6 years between the films rallying and obsessing over it.

The problem with innuendo and 'it's so obvious, can't you see it?!' is that, well, no, obviously not everyone can see it Laughing Plenty of people just see a cigar for a cigar as the saying goes. It's fine to fantasize and stuff, but once people start crossing into the realm of insulting people or making actual threats for not "seeing the obvious" well, that's when the fandom becomes toxic and gatekeep-y which is never good.

It wasn't Elsa and Anna, as they are sisters, that people took issue with and where upset about unless you are seeing things I didn't see in the fandom side.

People said Disney chickened out because they didn't make Elsa a lesbian, which people having been begging for since Frozen 1.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 1:25 am Reply with quote
AntiKuro wrote:
It wasn't Elsa and Anna, as they are sisters, that people took issue with and where upset about unless you are seeing things I didn't see in the fandom side.

As far as pairings go Elsanna is pretty popular and one of the more mainstream taboo ones. Thousands of works on AO3, DeviantArt, Tumblr, YouTube, and even have a pretty big subreddit dedicated entirely to it. I saw it all over. TBF when has incest, age, gender, or anything ever stopped people from shipping characters
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2