• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Crunchyroll Talks What Makes an 'Original'

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
casenumber00

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:32 am Reply with quote
For these originals I am not sure why they have to snipe Japanese animators to make their original works since there is no doubt others in the world who can do it. On second thought, maybe there is little great animation talent outside of Japan, looking at the simpsons, family guy, and rick and morty, while they while find stories their animation never makes me go wow like anime does a few times a month..
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:38 am Reply with quote
Rednimue wrote:
A lot of PR BS, incorrect/missleading notions of words and terms for marketing purpose and no substance at all.

Way to go Crunchyroll Laughing

It would be also better if you read the previous quote to show what they meant instead of throwing unnecessary snide.
jdnation

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:11 pm Reply with quote
casenumber00 wrote:
For these originals I am not sure why they have to snipe Japanese animators to make their original works since there is no doubt others in the world who can do it. On second thought, maybe there is little great animation talent outside of Japan, looking at the simpsons, family guy, and rick and morty, while they while find stories their animation never makes me go wow like anime does a few times a month..

Because when it comes to 2D animation, Japan is the best at what it does, with a balance of cost and quality.

It depends on the show you want though. If your aim is for something along the aesthetic lines of Avatar or Boondocks, etc. you can find talent outside of Japan, France also has a lot of good talent.

But the main thing is that Western animators are primarily in 3D and will enter the ranks of Pixar, Disney, and other big CG studios, or get into video games, or film.

2D is relatively limited outside of comedy stuff like Simpsons, Rick N' Morty etc. even stop-motion like Robot Chicken, where so long as its funny, it doesn't need to be fancy. Which is not to take away from the work it does take to make that stuff or design characters for these shows, which is much harder than it looks.

That said there is also room for more 'serious' 2D animation, as stuff like Castlevania shows, but most likely the few places there are doing this have plenty of work on their schedule and can likely bargain for better creative control as there's less local competition, whereas Japan has a much larger pool of studios. And given Crunchyroll is primarily about appealing to the anime fan as their primary base, it makes sense to work with Japanese talent. Especially if it comes to adapting works, such as Tower of God, which is likely better known and understood culturally within Asia as a whole rather than in America.

So if it were up to me, if I was creating an 'Original' based on a Korean/Japanese property, then I'd let the locals adapt it. If it was something more culturally 'Western', then a U.S. Studio might be ideal. Though it's not like you can't get something interesting by having another cultural work interpreted, filtered through and adapted by another foreign culture altogether, and everyone borrows from each other. The original Castlevania games are based on a lot of Western lore and religion for example, so it was West > Japan > West. And Avatar was created by Western talent. Perhaps something like Megalobox would've been better as a Western adaptation, as its setting is in America. Whereas we can see that Tower of God is more set in Eastern concepts, and thus works better as an Eastern adaptation.

Anyway, since Crunchyroll's audience is primarily fans of Japanese animation and works, it's likely that they are more invested in adapting Eastern works/original content and therefore makes sense to have Japanese talent do it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 2:09 am Reply with quote
skooby00 wrote:
i dont think its just corporate BS, I think the difference between a co-production and an original is at what stage Crunchyroll became a producer. I assume for an original, they were there at the earliest stages. It might also just be a contractual/marketing thing as I imagine it looks good for them to have supposed "originals" but in some cases (The Rising of the Shield Hero) they are unable to attain/purchase the right to call it an original? or maybe im just dumb

To me "[company or streaming service] Original" is more technical when it is is an original story that is written by, directed by, and produced by said company/service or a subsidiary brand. As such, they are meant to be shown on that channel or streaming service. Thus, don't call it an original unless all of the points I described here are applied.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:21 am Reply with quote
casenumber00 wrote:

You have to look at movie animation since TV animation are often outsourced to cheaper countries

Movie animation is where the money is paid to local artists

(Except TV 3D animation - those are local artists too, since other countries aren't too good with 3D animation yet)
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or she dodged the question about their Tower of God adaptation following the source material closely?!
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Xiximaro wrote:
Is it just me or she dodged the question about their Tower of God adaptation following the source material closely?!

I'd be more surprised if she answered the question about future plans for the production.
ImdTyger

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:05 pm Reply with quote
[disclaimer: didn't read the article]
CR's originals and co-productions have been pretty good, no real complaints. I'm glad CR is doing something with production... hopefully they don't commercialize it they way everything else [in the US] gets wrapped with red tape and corporate bs.

I would however [and this is probably the wrong place to say this but whatever] like to see them do something about their servers and awful playback... CR isn't Netflix but playback quality, server speed and player functions haven't been updated in a decade.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 12:38 pm Reply with quote
ImdTyger wrote:
[disclaimer: didn't read the article]

Quote:
CR isn't Netflix but playback quality, server speed and player functions haven't been updated in a decade.

Didn't read the article, and it's pretty clear that you don't use Crunchyroll either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2