• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Death Note Release Won't be Limited to Downloads

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ganami

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quote
its good news that Deathnote will be coming to the US. But I hope the cost is reasonable for downloads and not 4.99 a episode which ADV is charging. If that is the case I'll be waiting for the DVD.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:09 pm Reply with quote
KocaKoala wrote:
If it was about stopping fansubbers, I'm sure they could get some to stop by talking to them. Most fansubs seem to be pretty respectful and just wanna make things available earlier for avid fans. This is seen by the fact that they stop their subs as soon as they hear it's liscensed, not just wait for a DVD release. I don't think they're too worried about fansubs, it's free advertisement. I've found a lot of anime through fansubs and later bought the DVDs.
Well, with certain fansubbers, a bit more than "talking" might be necessary...after all, Bleach and Naruto were licensed when the episodes were at 75 and 122, respectively, and the latest episodes are still being released each week.
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
If they truly want to stop fansubbers, they will need to emulate fansub releases. So that will not only mean non-domesticated subtitles, but use of Japanese honorifics and use of cultural notes either during the episode or at the end (or ultimately both if needed).
YES, this is what I've thought for a long time; people don't just watch fansubs because they're fast and free, they watch them because they like the way that fansubs present anime. Unfortunately, among all the professional companies, Viz's practices are pretty much the farthest from fansub style as you can get.
jay-jay

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:10 pm Reply with quote
I can't see this taking off unless the prices are very chep and the quality is equal to or greater than the fansubbers quality standards. If its like a video from YouTube then this whole thing will fail.
Regardless, there will still be people fansubbing Death Note your naive if you think they won't. Tthis will be exasserbated more so if the standards of Viz's releases are less than adequate.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, looks like I'll be buying the DVDs.

Hope we can get a release date. Soon.
wizardps3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:26 pm Reply with quote
wel im waiting to see the 13 eposide thats what i need now
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

AstroNerdBoy wrote:
If they truly want to stop fansubbers, they will need to emulate fansub releases. So that will not only mean non-domesticated subtitles, but use of Japanese honorifics and use of cultural notes either during the episode or at the end (or ultimately both if needed).

YES, this is what I've thought for a long time; people don't just watch fansubs because they're fast and free, they watch them because they like the way that fansubs present anime. Unfortunately, among all the professional companies, Viz's practices are pretty much the farthest from fansub style as you can get.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Mabe it's cause I am an older anime fan, I don't know but I watch fan subs because they are fast and free. I don't watch them for honorifcs or cultural notes. I would take a professionally subtitled series over a fansub any day of the week. As a matter of fact one of my pet peeves with fansubs is incomplete translating. Putting Onii-chan instead of big sister. Stuff like that irritates me. And this is why I don't really watch fansubs. I watched all of Haruhi-thereby obligating me to buy the DVD's (I would have anyway becaue I love it) . I used to watch Naruto before the filler (Again obligating me to buy at least one uncut boxset) and I occasionally watch the first episode of a fan sub. If it's good I hope it gets licensed. It has to be awesome for me to watch a fansubbed show. My point is don't assume most anime fans are hoping for professional releases to be more like fansubs. I would really really hate that and so would my other anime loving friends.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:33 pm Reply with quote
jay-jay wrote:
I can't see this taking off unless the prices are very chep and the quality is equal to or greater than the fansubbers quality standards. If its like a video from YouTube then this whole thing will fail.
Regardless, there will still be people fansubbing Death Note your naive if you think they won't. Tthis will be exasserbated more so if the standards of Viz's releases are less than adequate.

I don't think we need to worry about video quality people. It's obviously not going to be Youtube quality. I have no doubt it will look AT LEAST as good as a fansub.
Swissman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:01 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

AstroNerdBoy wrote:

I have no idea what you are talking about. Mabe it's cause I am an older anime fan, I don't know but I watch fan subs because they are fast and free. I don't watch them for honorifcs or cultural notes. I would take a professionally subtitled series over a fansub any day of the week. As a matter of fact one of my pet peeves with fansubs is incomplete translating. Putting Onii-chan instead of big sister. Stuff like that irritates me. [....] My point is don't assume most anime fans are hoping for professional releases to be more like fansubs. I would really really hate that and so would my other anime loving friends.

I pretty much agree with you here. Some people think the average fansubber do a more professional translation job than an average professional translator because fansubber keep japanese honorifics in subtitles and do flashy karaoke stuff in the op/ed, and other stuff. Professional translators however translate one hundred percent from one language into another, instead of some halfbaked japanese-english honorific style (which is supposed to sound exotic and "cool" I guess), and they try to provide the shortest yet most accurate translation possible instead of trying to be only as fast and accurate as possible (which often ends in way too long sentences). Moreover, professional translations usually are directly from japanese, whereas fansubs often depend on korean and chinese translations.

Sorry for the mini rant.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sdsyukichan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
KocaKoala wrote:
If it was about stopping fansubbers, I'm sure they could get some to stop by talking to them. Most fansubs seem to be pretty respectful and just wanna make things available earlier for avid fans. This is seen by the fact that they stop their subs as soon as they hear it's liscensed, not just wait for a DVD release. I don't think they're too worried about fansubs, it's free advertisement. I've found a lot of anime through fansubs and later bought the DVDs.
Well, with certain fansubbers, a bit more than "talking" might be necessary...after all, Bleach and Naruto were licensed when the episodes were at 75 and 122, respectively, and the latest episodes are still being released each week.

For a lot of series like Naruto and Bleach that are longer, companies will license a couple seasons at a time, and so the episodes that aren't licensed are still "legal" (or as legal as fansubs can be) to download. Smile
omar235

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
I have no idea what you are talking about. Mabe it's cause I am an older anime fan, I don't know but I watch fan subs because they are fast and free. I don't watch them for honorifcs or cultural notes. I would take a professionally subtitled series over a fansub any day of the week. As a matter of fact one of my pet peeves with fansubs is incomplete translating. Putting Onii-chan instead of big sister. Stuff like that irritates me. [....] My point is don't assume most anime fans are hoping for professional releases to be more like fansubs. I would really really hate that and so would my other anime loving friends.

He probably didn't mean to say everyone is like that, though I watch fansubs for the culture notes and the honorifics. And usally if the fansubbers don't change Onii-san to big brother they will make a cultural note at the top of the screen saying what it means. I to would rather hve a real DVD then a fansub but I think it would help if they had cultural notes and honorifics...course if they don't it isn't like I would stop buying DVDs. Wink
m00nshine

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:44 am Reply with quote
The real important question is how much will the downloads cost... if it is 5 dollars plus then it will be pointless as there is still 20 or more episodes to go and for the price it would be cheaper just to wait for the DVD's.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:25 am Reply with quote
Eh....I want to see what Viz is charging for downloads before I decide whether or not I think it's a good idea. Either way, however, I'm not entirely sure I'll be spending money on Death Note; it's a good series, but I've read the manga, and it just doesn't seem like the sort of thing I'd want to watch over and over again. I mean, once you know what happens, the tension just completely deflates. I watched the fansubs when they were there, but I don't think I'm going to buy it.

Hey, though, if the download price is reasonable, I may look into it for future series. It's a great way to get episodes out faster, especially when the fansubs leave off in the middle of things. I just hope NANA doesn't get licensed for a while....I'll die if I have to go through 30 episodes over again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
purple_monkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:24 am Reply with quote
I wonder about this subtitle downloads and dub DVDs. If the DVDs are only dub, I really wonder about the viablility of the series. I mean, if you buy DVDs, you would want both, especially since it should not take much effort to do both (heck, if they are really lazy, they can just 'port' the downloads as a hardsub on the DVD (i.e. double up the episodes). I can't imagine Viz would be that stupid to only do dub only DVDs. That's worse than the xBox or PS3 two bundles. And I can't imagine the downloads doing well. I would imagine the downloads would be aimed at people who download fansubs. But considering that many of these people argue that DVDs are too expensive and aren't likely the type to buy 99 cent songs, I can't imagine them paying $2-5 dollars (or more) per episode for 37 episodes to get something they can get from a fansub. Plus, if the downloads do get off, then they'll dig into the profits of the DVDs. Meaning they will make less or put less episodes/DVD or raise the DVD/download price to offset losses in either sector.

But what do I know? We'll see how it goes. From the release information though, it doesn't look too promising in my eyes.

(I do not want to, nor wish to start a "the evils of fansubs" and "fansubs keep the industry alive" argument, so please don't go this route people. Please stick to your ideas about the Death Note release)
jbondsr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote
"fansubs often depend on korean and chinese translations?"

I hardly think this is true (anymore).
Especially since the episodes of the the current episodes come out quickly.
Also, fansubs and professional translations are never 100% accurate.
I think sometimes it depends on the person's feeling on how the message is to be conveyed, especially when there aren't really translations for certain things.
There are times when fansubs are more accurate and times when the DVD subtitles are better.

People have different reasons for liking or disliking fansubs. (I personally do like the Karaoke and side notes.) I still get the DVD releases anyway because I support US releases, sometimes the dub voices fit better, extras, and more.

This debate is so old now (Dub vs. Sub, Fansub vs. Official, etc.), and it'll keep coming up everytime someone licenses something, a fanusb/release group is taken down, or a new distribution method is put into effect.

Just go get what you like........(as long as you get US releases.)
angel_lover

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:17 pm Reply with quote
This could be a bad move for people outside of the US. In order to get a licence for downloads, Viz probably had to agree to put measures in place to restrict downloads to the US only, like maybe accepting only credit cards issued to a US address. Seeing Viz is often slow with DVD releases anyway, they'll feel under even less pressure than usual to get the releases out if people can download.

As for pricing, I would have expected $5 per episode to buy and maybe $2-3 to rent. And yes, of course the downloads will be infested with DRM. That will almost certainly have been part of the licensing deal.

I usually appreciate the efforts fansubbers make when trying to preserve a little of the "cultural flavour" of Japanese social interaction, but certainly one of the groups went way too far in Death Note by translating a Japanese person saying "Thankyou" in English into a subtitle of "Arigatou".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6