• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 23rd Pokémon Film Delayed Due to COVID-19

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:33 am Reply with quote
I honestly saw it coming. I have a feeling that this movie will either be pushed back to 2021 just like the Olympics have, or eventually become a VOD exclusive just like Scoob! became when it was clear that this would last all year, even in the most optimistic scenario.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 11:07 am Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
I honestly saw it coming. I have a feeling that this movie will either be pushed back to 2021 just like the Olympics have, or eventually become a VOD exclusive just like Scoob! became when it was clear that this would last all year, even in the most optimistic scenario.

I'm doubtful with it being VOD, when Japan doesn't embrace streaming as much as other parts of the world. To even get to VOD in the west though, it would still probably need to be released in Japan first, and then eventually dubbed, releasing several months later (or more).
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 11:40 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
I'm doubtful with it being VOD, when Japan doesn't embrace streaming as much as other parts of the world. To even get to VOD in the west though, it would still probably need to be released in Japan first, and then eventually dubbed, releasing several months later (or more).

Still, with the pandemic having such unprecedented havoc? That could change.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:03 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:

Still, with the pandemic having such unprecedented havoc? That could change.

Not likely in Japan. There's been articles on how very few of the workforce are even able to stay at home, because of how traditional they are with showing up to the office. Here's an example:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/japan-covid-19-coronavirus-1.5549504

If they struggle to have larger numbers work from home, I don't see a sudden surge of something new like video streaming to pick up.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Not likely in Japan. There's been articles on how very few of the workforce are even able to stay at home, because of how traditional they are with showing up to the office. Here's an example:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/japan-covid-19-coronavirus-1.5549504

If they struggle to have larger numbers work from home, I don't see a sudden surge of something new like video streaming to pick up.

Very true. Japan does have more recoveries than deaths luckily, but there's no doubt that they're still feeling the impact, hence why the Olympics were rescheduled to next year. In this particular case, you can't risk taking so many people from all over the world and basically throwing them in a blender with whatever viruses and then send them back when it's over.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1