• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HBO Max to Launch With 17 Anime From Crunchyroll

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 6:33 pm Reply with quote
idkAlan wrote:
They try to compare it with cable and satellite even though streaming services are a helll of lot more budget friendly and do NOT require contracts with minimum subscription time.

Yet.

With people like you lobbing in and out at will (which I think is a perfectly fine way to manage things), sooner or later one of the services will take the plunge and offer only contracts (maybe quarterly at first, then 6 and 12 mo, then only 12 and 24 mo, depending on the pushback). If they don't take a significant hit for doing so, then everyone else will follow suit. Makes their quarterly income predictions easier to calculate and more stable for their stockholders, who are the only ones that matter.
matt78

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that Testament on a Sister New Devil was picked for this. I wonder if this puts an end to the rumor the other day about AT&T looking to sell Crunchyroll.
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I don’t really see HBO getting into licensing titles themselves since Crunchyroll already has put a lot of investment into their own Crunchyroll Originals for the next several years. Corporations like HBO seem more interested in focusing on their own properties than investing in anime shows they wouldn’t have any creative control over. I’m just wondering how this is going to effect VRV which I think is the bigger concern here.

AT&T will have to licence/renegotiate licences for either shows to be on both HBO Max and Crunchyroll or transfer to HBO Max and shut down Crunchyroll.

They can't licence for Crunchyroll then just stick it other services they start.

It's why only some shows will be on HBO Max to start to see of people who get HBO Max will actually watch anime.

And a lot of people will get HBO Max as it replaces or is added to existing subscribers of various HBO services.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:17 pm Reply with quote
idkAlan wrote:

I've cancelled and re subscribe to Crunchyroll, Netflix, Hulu, Funimation, simply because at the time I cancel, they don't have the content I want. Then I subscribe again once they do.
It is extremely easy but people seem to act like budgeting where your money goes is like the hardest thing ever

I am curious to if you are aware that your practice proves that the current monopolistic practices legal streaming services operate under is a definitive symptom to the problem we are facing in the anime community?

What does streaming services sell? A show or a service? They sell their legal services, not a particular show. Looking from a consumer's perspective, I should be able to choose the best service I want to be served with, not forced to choose a service that has a show I want to watch every single time I want to watch a show. It is like going to a movie theatre. I am not choosing which movie to watch, I am choosing which theatre to go to. In the long term, it will create a disaggregated audience with little to no loyal to the subscription service, which, based on its titular function, should be retaining audience to generate revenue that go towards the anime production.

Looking at it from a company perspective, I would be spending all my money on getting exclusive licenses to shows instead of improving my streaming service to retain audience. In the long term, it will create terrible services, no significant service improvement, high licensing prices, pseudo-competitive market with an audience unable to even watch the few popular shows during one season because they have been grabbed by opposing streaming services.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:

AT&T will have to licence/renegotiate licences for either shows to be on both HBO Max and Crunchyroll or transfer to HBO Max and shut down Crunchyroll.

They can't licence for Crunchyroll then just stick it other services they start.

That would completely depend on the contracts though. It's plausible that at some point the contracts changed from 'streaming on crunchyroll' to 'streaming on crunchyroll, it's owner and/or it's owner's subsidiaries' or something along those lines.

Quote:

And a lot of people will get HBO Max as it replaces or is added to existing subscribers of various HBO services.

I'm hoping all existing TV HBO subscribers get Max too (so far my provider isn't listed) as I personally don't see the need to subscribe to it at this point
Primus

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:

It's why only some shows will be on HBO Max to start to see of people who get HBO Max will actually watch anime.

It's entirely possible that Warner operates both an HBO Max with anime and Crunchyroll. I see some of their more lightweight SVOD services like Boomerang and DC Universe being at risk, but Crunchyroll isn't that small. They have 2 million subscribers and millions of free users.

HBO Max devalues a lot of Warner's other services, but Crunchyroll isn't one I see being impacted that dramatically. It can be positioned as the destination for diehard anime fans, while Max only offers a surface level selection of popular titles. People on this site love to whine about Netflix's release model. If HBO Max is going to be competing with Netflix, there's a good chance they're going to also do the batch releases, especially if they prioritize dub availability over immediacy. The solution? Leave simulcasts to Crunchyroll.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I’m curious as to how this will be for Toonami. Like it could be a bad thing or a good thing for them. Would Toonami for instance be able to obtain any of these series they want and actually be able to get them even easier? For instance being easier to get Konosuba on Toonami or not?
IceLeaf

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 1:47 am Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
#901749 wrote:
ZestyLime wrote:
Only a matter of time before we get the HBO exclusive seasonal anime, further fragmenting the market.

You make it sound like that's a bad thing. I would love to see anime with the budget of HBO. We could get some cool stuff.

That's literally not how any of this works. And it IS a bad thing. It's "monopolistic competition". There's "Competition" but they each monopolize specific shows. So if you want to watch everything you have to pay over $700 in subscription fees.

Who says you have to watch _everything_?

With so many shows each season, you have to make a choice sooner or later. You can't have your cake and eat it too. That's not how it works.

I pick and choose what I watch each season but every season more of what I want to watch keeps on being split across more distributors and it's hard when a series you really loved the manga or novel for ends up going to a distributor who has literally nothing else you want to watch...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 2:35 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
That's literally not how any of this works. And it IS a bad thing. It's "monopolistic competition". There's "Competition" but they each monopolize specific shows. So if you want to watch everything you have to pay over $700 in subscription fees. That's a TERRIBLE thing for everyone except the corporations. Really no benefit to us. They have no incentive to actually improve quality in any way. As long as they have one show that the masses will subscribe for, that's all they need. One show every season. Budget also wouldn't make anime better. I'd not even have faith the extra money goes to the artists like it should.

Yeah, if you want to watch a lot of stuff, it's going to cost a lot of money. But your numbers are getting even more inaccurate with time -- it's quite possible to get over 90% of airing/seasonal shows plus massive back catalogues with only 2 services for under $170 a year. Spending that much in the mid-2000s wouldn't have even gotten one 24-episode show from 2 years prior, which cannot be considered anything but a massive shift in the pro-consumer direction over time.

Skerlly Fc wrote:
Same with streaming. I´ve accepted this reality already, but most anime fans want to deny it in favor of living the myth that I mentioned earlier, and when the anime industry is reporting growth in recent years thanks to streaming anime online, it means that japanese creators are receiving money and/or support in some way thanks to streaming. Consume anime in whichever legal way you want, but never think that the 60% of money will always go directly to the creators of the show.
Actually it is fairly close to that, at least in terms of international sales vs. studio revenues.
Original source (see page 4)

ZestyLime wrote:
Only a matter of time before we get the HBO exclusive seasonal anime, further fragmenting the market.

Would you believe that once upon a time, the market was so "fragmented" that consumers had to pay for each individual anime, at the rate of $30 per 4 episodes? Yet we didn't see Geneon being called "anti-consumer" for getting an exclusive license for Paranoia Agent.

Though I don't see HBOMax getting into the anime acquisition game directly; this looks more like a quick and easy cross-promotional opportunity for Warner to beef up the catalogue, and for CR to get some of its titles in front of more "mainstream" eyeballs. There's no upside in HBOMax sniping titles away from CR in bidding wars, when Warner knows that CR is more adept at handling/licensing the content, they can just cross-share to HBOMax whenever they want, and the revenue goes to the same place either way.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 6:23 am Reply with quote
"HBO Max will use anime from Crunchyroll to compete with Netflix’s growing empire -- WarnerMedia wants anime to be a big part of HBO Max"
Quote:
Crunchyroll will curate new anime content for HBO Max subscribers every three months, according to WarnerMedia, with popular series Hunter x Hunter and Death Note coming to HBO Max later this year. Some titles, like Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, also stream on Netflix. While HBO Max won’t be the exclusive home — shows will run on both HBO Max and Crunchyroll at the same time — subscribers will have more access to popular anime.

WarnerMedia’s new CEO, Jason Kilar, understands the importance of anime as part of a broader streaming strategy — anime was reportedly one of the top performing genres at Hulu when Kilar was CEO, according to The Information.

“This WarnerMedia family collaboration is bringing together an incredible collection of content with a passionate fandom and HBO Max is tottemo ureshii to expand the reach of this inventive artistry,” Kevin Reilly, HBO Max’s chief content officer, said in a press release, using a popular Japanese expression for displaying joy and enthusiasm.

HBO Max launches on May 27th for $14.99 a month. WarnerMedia is currently offering incoming customers and some current HBO Now subscribers one year of HBO Max for just $11.99 a month.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 1:56 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:

That's not how it works at all though. Because Crunchyroll already licenses out their shows to other streaming services all the time. VRV, Hulu, Netflix, Tubi, HiDive, and even Funimation all have shows that are also streaming on Crunchyroll, and Cartoon Network has also aired Crunchyroll's catalog without issue. The only shows that would likely be strictly to Crunchyroll with the exception of HBO Max are the Crunchryoll Originals which at this point are a small fraction of their overall content. HBO Max streaming is no different than other sites like VRV and Tubi that have access to Crunchyroll's catalog. I'm not sure why there's this doom and gloom view towards HBO Max that there wasn't for VRV when it's basically the same idea. Also AT&T doesn't play any role in the licensing process.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:10 am Reply with quote
So can we please have an Eizouken dub now?
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
With people like you lobbing in and out at will (which I think is a perfectly fine way to manage things), sooner or later one of the services will take the plunge and offer only contracts (maybe quarterly at first, then 6 and 12 mo, then only 12 and 24 mo, depending on the pushback). If they don't take a significant hit for doing so, then everyone else will follow suit. Makes their quarterly income predictions easier to calculate and more stable for their stockholders, who are the only ones that matter.

That's what service providers call "churn." HBO has been dealing with it for over forty years. I bet churn is a pretty stable fraction of total monthly revenues, so it doesn't affect income predictions. It's just a fact of life.

I think discounts on longer-term subscriptions as, for instance, CR offers are more likely than mandatory minimum contracts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2