• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Sees 7.4% Increase in Sales in Fiscal Year 2020, Sells 55.77 Million Switch Units Wor

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikura

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:11 pm Reply with quote
With all of the social distancing and stay at home orders it doesn't surprise me that this is doing well.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Makes it seem like the 3DS was a failure since Switch is about to over take it pretty fast, doesnt help that theres been barely any notable 3DS releases in for awhile.

No mobile news?
Lann

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Years from now everyone will forget that the Nintendo sales are directly related to the lockdown. There is nothing to do, other than playing games.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Still amazed that Nintendo managed to improve recover from the WiiU era in only 3 years, it's also impressive how many copies Animal Crossing managed to sell in such a short time.
Nintendo also mentioned that the Switch is just in the middle of its lifecycle, it's makes me wonder what games are in development right now. Moreover, it seems that despite its success there aren't many 3rd parties developing games for the system, I know that many Nintendo consoles rely on their 1st party output but the 3DS had a strong 3rd party support and now that it's gone I assumed more titles would come, though I understand that developing games in HD is more costly and it's difficult to downgrade games that run in consoles like the PS4 and Xbox One, still, even the GameCube and Wii had some good 3rd party exclusives.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Lann wrote:
Years from now everyone will forget that the Nintendo sales are directly related to the lockdown. There is nothing to do, other than playing games.

It's helped, certainly, but the Switch [and Switch games] were selling very well even before the corona virus shut everything down.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 3:29 am Reply with quote
Yeah, haven't been able to find any switchs in stock apart from the lite one... Crying or Very sad
Or people are selling them at way too expensive a price
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 4:46 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

The company sold 690,000 Nintendo 3DS handheld systems (down from 2.55 million units the previous year) and 4.99 million Nintendo 3DS software units (down from 13.22 million units).

Big drop for 3DS, on its way out
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 10:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Moreover, it seems that despite its success there aren't many 3rd parties developing games for the system, I know that many Nintendo consoles rely on their 1st party output but the 3DS had a strong 3rd party support and now that it's gone I assumed more titles would come, though I understand that developing games in HD is more costly and it's difficult to downgrade games that run in consoles like the PS4 and Xbox One, still, even the GameCube and Wii had some good 3rd party exclusives.
The Switch has had plenty of third party support and just recently had Doom released on the Switch at the same as Animal Crossing and they have a pretty big library of indie titles to buy digitally. And there are lots of anime games and even visual novels on the Switch.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:50 am Reply with quote
The bigger gap between the XSX / PS5 and the Switch will make it harder to port games that rely on the power of the XSX / PS5, unless there's a Switch 2.0 that narrows the gap
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1