• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
7 Awesome Anime Moms Who Are Miraculously Still Alive

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SubaruSumeragi22

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I really liked Kazue in the Airsoft anime "Sabage-bu", who surprised the audience by showing off her skills when her daughter didn't eat her broccoli among other funny instances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id30HnS26yA
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I still hate dead mom/alive dad cliché. It still bothers me a lot to see many mothers are dead for no reason but the authors keep fathers alive. It's not just a bit unrealistic(not everyone has alive father), but it's so cliché and it's becomimg more an overeused nowadays.

Feel likes fathers are relevant and immortal parent while mothers are irrelevant and dying parent. Sad I wish that an overused cliche should be dead. Sorry for being an overreacting. Just I really hate that cliche.

P.S. But is it true that single and widowed dads are more respected than single and widowed moms in Japan? Are most authors intentionally avoided single and widowed moms in mangas/animes because is a taboo?

Last edited by ErikaD.D on Sun May 10, 2020 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Some great choices on here. Sachiko Fujinuma probably wins my vote for favorite anime mom: she's amazingly perceptive about a very difficult situation, and she knows exactly what to do to get Kayo the help she so desperately needs. Inko Midorya is great too: she has the unenviable task of being the voice of common sense in a genre mostly eschews it (see: Kagome's mom), and while I'm sure some fans resented her reluctance during the meeting with All Might, I thought it was really refreshing to see that perspective. And Tomoko Higashikata is just an all-time milf, as Okuyasu would gladly tell you. Big shout-outs to the non-biological moms like Mito who stepped up and acted as fantastic caregivers, too. I agree that Izumi Curtis absolutely qualifies.

(I guess Charlotte Linlin doesn't fit the bill? Razz)

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:18 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
I still hate dead mom/alive dad cliché. It still bothers me a lot to see many mothers are dead for no reason but the authors keep fathers alive. It's not just a bit unrealistic(not everyone has alive father), but it's so cliché and it's becomimg more an overeused nowadays.

Feel likes fathers are relevant and immortal parent while mothers are irrelevant and dying parent. Sad I wish that an overused cliche should be dead. Sorry for being an overreacting. Just I really hate that cliche.

P.S. But is it true that single and widowed dads are more respected than single and widowed moms in Japan? Are most authors intentionally avoided single and widowed moms in mangas/animes because is a taboo?

Disney's at fault for this Trope
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:50 pm Reply with quote
#897807 wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:

Yep, just about to say that myself. Though anime uses the Dead Parents trope heavily, it certainly didn't originate with anime.

And I want to say that the trope didn't originate with Disney, either. IIRC, a lot of traditional fairy tales features cases where one or both parents are absent or dead. (Rebecca would be the authority to ask about this.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gonbawa

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Great moms in :
- A place further than the universe
- Allison to Lillia
- A Silent voice
- Eizouken ni wa Te wo Dasu na
- Hare + Guu
- Hikaru no Go
- Mix Meisei Story
- New Game
- Sacred Blacksmith
- BNA (by e-mail)
- Tenchi Muyo GXP
- Yuyu Hakusho
- Still world is beautiful
- Railgun
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
I think KEY stories have the best moms/aunts. Basically every one of them was amazing

Just don't eat that one's jam. Or the other one's bread. And for kamisama's sake, do not, ever, EVER let them combine the two.

Oh i remember the jam from kanon, I vaguely remember the family talking about something that prompted the aunt to go find her special jam. When her daughter heard the seal of evil cry she bolted out of the room and left the MC to deal with it. Ah that was a good show. spoiler[I still remember Makoto's degeneration and death painfully clear.]

I've seen half the shows on this list but I'm noticing a distinct lack of moms from fate. There's prime moms to choose from Boudica, Emiya(archer), Paravati, Raikou, anyone jack sees that's older than her- oh wait I see the problem now

Jokes aside I'd say out of all the maternal figures in the fate grand order Emiya was probably the best parent, always taking shifts in the cafeteria, constantly doing housework, the man even traced a grill in Ishtar's racing event to make sure everyone was fed and happy. Can't remember the exact details but I'm sure in more than one interludes or events he also makes sweets for the children servants. It might've been the valentines event. Or the Santa event? Right he's also a great Santa.
Kirki

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:37 pm Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
Kirki wrote:
HAL14 wrote:
Izumi Curtis from Fullmetal Alchemist

Though Oedipus would definitely have to say something about that, she wasn't their mother, she was their teacher.

It's a shame we have forgotten about comedy gold moms like Miko from Kyo Kara Maoh! Katarina's mom from My Next Life as A Villainess is also funny as hell.

First, keep your shipping to yourself.

Second, can't remember if it was in the '06 or brotherhood but she referred to the elrics as her boys once, and from both series its clear motherhood was the angle the author was going for in thier relationship: the elrics lost their mother and tried to bring her back. izumi lost her son and tried to bring him back

I never mentioned a word about actual shipping. Learn how to take a damn joke. But even if I did, why should I keep it to myself? If you don't like it just ignore it. You won't be shutting people down from expressing themselves. You are plainly rude.

Great parallels, still not their mother.
michizure

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Yasaka Yoriko from Haiyore! Nyaruko-san is both a loving mother and a badass in her own right. Fear the fork!

Kasugano Haruka from Midori no Hibi had her heart in the right place and never gave up, even if she employed some shady people in desperation.

Special shout-out to Yamano Akane from Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventures. She was a 38-year old career woman, very successful in her field, and (apparently) happily single. In the final episode, the teenage protagonists spoiler[re-write history to make her one of their mothers, in lieu of the villainess]. She takes it all in stride, however. spoiler[Having both sets of memories probably helps.]
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And I want to say that the trope didn't originate with Disney, either. IIRC, a lot of traditional fairy tales features cases where one or both parents are absent or dead. (Rebecca would be the authority to ask about this.)

I watched all Studio Ghibli movies and noticed there are less dead mom cliches than Disney movies but they do have some orphan characters( Laputa, Castle in the Sky; Grave of the Fireflies, When Marnie Was There.)
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
#897807 wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:

Yep, just about to say that myself. Though anime uses the Dead Parents trope heavily, it certainly didn't originate with anime.

I think you are very ironically missing the point with your own post. The father is not kept alive and the mother dead because the father is seen in higher regard but vice versa. The death of a mother I think tends to affect individuals a lot more than the death of the father exactly for biological reasons like the father is more expendable and it's not uncommon for them to even stick around. Therefore if only one parent will be missing it's the mom because it had a greater effect. It most certainly is not for some ludicrous reason like you suggest as the father being more important.

Another mom I'd toss up their is sasami and aekas mom. Actually any of the moms in the ten chi verse.
Oggers

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Great list! Two moms I'm personally fond of are Hiroko Katsuki and Yuuko Nishigori, both from Yuri on Ice. Hiroko is endlessly supportive of Yuuri despite not really understanding his chosen sport, while Yuuko has her hands full with triplet daughters, but she clearly loves them and all three of them share a passion for figure skating. They're moms at different stages of life, too (Hiroko's kids are both adults while Yuuko's kids are six) so that makes it interesting.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Hands down, the best anime mom is Hana from Wolf Children. What she does and has to go through is EXTREMELY commendable, even without the werewolf element.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:22 pm Reply with quote
The ones that come to mind first and foremost are Ozora Natsuko, Mrs. Hyuga and Mrs. Ishizaki from Captain Tsubasa. Each of them support their kids in their own way. Natsuko, even against her better instincts, spoiler[allows her son to go to Brazil to become a pro.].

Mrs. Hyuga is a widow who works really hard and is the main reason spoiler[Kojiro wants to get a scholarship for one of the best schools in Tokyo, to alleviate the pressure of her paying for her children's education, since he knows how expensive things are.] He eventually spoiler[goes pro and buys his family a decent house. ] For someone nicknamed the 'Tiger', he's one soft fluffy kitty with her.

Mrs. Ishizaki... She's like her son, a whole lot of comic relief, but spoiler[she went to see her kid in the elementary school tournament's final match and brought him some hot tea, much to Ryou's teammates amusement and his chagrin, but hey, she did the right thing!].

Also shout out to Hyodo Marisa from Ballroom E Youkoso.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I am assuming this list is being limited to biological mothers, as otherwise Maquia strikes me as the most glaring omission. But then what about the mother in Wolf's Children?

I don't think so, otherwise Gon's cousin wouldn't be in the list.

---
(I wanted to say something more about mother's but I can't think of anything so Mamako from Do You Love Your Mom)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5