• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - Top 5 CLAMP Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:53 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Manga though, I really liked Chobits, Kobato and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle (though I'm sure I missed at least 50% of what it was about, especially given how I had dropped xxxHolic before).

Don't worry, the creators themselves weren't too sure what was happening in that half the time, and I'm not too sure they still are... Won't recommend the anime, that's a mess...
Zendervai

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 12:59 pm Reply with quote
IceLeaf wrote:
I actually liked Xxxholic and Tsubasa. The manga can actually stand on their own without having to have prior knowledge of any other CLAMP series. The anime for Tsubasa however was a massive screwup especially season 2 and then the OVA's were good but they skipped several arcs from where the anime diverged, skipped Fai's background arc in the middle but referenced characters and events from it which you wouldn't know if you were anime only, and never did the final arc.

Blame Bee Train for that. There's a filler episode early on where a bunch of people get resurrected from the dead, which breaks the like, number one rule CLAMP put in place for Tsubasa. CLAMP got really angry about that, so Bee Train put in another filler episode in the second half "resolving" it in a really half-baked way. And then Bee Train decided that they didn't want to go really dark, so they diverged from the manga, resulting in the second half of season 2 being almost entirely filler. And then the OVAs were bonuses included in manga volumes, intended for people who were reading the manga, and done by a different studio.

If anything deserves a FMA: Brotherhood style adaptation, it's both Tsubasa and xxxHolic. Ideally from the same studio and on the same network, to avoid the rights split that affected both of them before.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Ampharos wrote:
Angelic Layer was left off this list because it's way, way, way better than the manga it was based on, right? Like it's just TOO good to be on this list? (And I *like* the mangseea, mind you. But the anime is unbelievably better.)

I wanted to kind of echo this. I like their art style and their creative ideas were amazing , but as actual writers they suck. Ie I think literally everyone of their adaptations is much better than the underlying manga. I view it like this they are great at coming up with the idea settings characters that will sell and an overall plot. But you need someone else to write the actual script for them.

Also Def have angelic layer as one of, if not my favorite from them followed by ccs.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:32 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Ampharos wrote:
Angelic Layer was left off this list because it's way, way, way better than the manga it was based on, right? Like it's just TOO good to be on this list? (And I *like* the mangseea, mind you. But the anime is unbelievably better.)

I wanted to kind of echo this. I like their art style and their creative ideas were amazing , but as actual writers they suck. Ie I think literally everyone of their adaptations is much better than the underlying manga. I view it like this they are great at coming up with the idea settings characters that will sell and an overall plot. But you need someone else to write the actual script for them.

Also Def have angelic layer as one of, if not my favorite from them followed by ccs.

Man ain't that the truth. Cardcaptor Sakura is probably my all time favourite anime, but the manga is so rushed with so many problematic elements. It feels more like an outline for a longer story than a story unto itself. And why did they feel the need to put in a subplot about a ten year old child dating her 25+ year old teacher, and try to frame it as romantic? I don't know but I'm sure glad they removed it from the anime so I don't have to feel disgusted every time they're on screen together. That wasn't the only creepy thing in there either.

Chobits has aged pretty poorly IMO but that opening song still slaps.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, te be fair X does not feel rushed as a manga; can't disagree about the rest of their works, tho.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Yes, xxxHolic definitely deserves the top spot on a CLAMP list. Despite low production values and noooooooooodle people. If that bothers you too much, check the manga instead.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I love clamp's character designs, especially Code Geass' and I'm sure designing a new costume for sakura in cardcaptors was a work of love.

Their stories on the other hand...

Laying my cards on the table I've only seen the original cardcaptors anime as a child and picked up tsubasa around the time I turned into a teenager. I think. Definitely remember starting it in the early years of highschool. I know I also finished Chobits during those years and Angelic layer... later on? Then read a few volumes of xxxHOLiC but never got into it.

I loved the ambitious nature of tsubasa, travelling through the clamp multiverse and meeting so many different people who are the same but arent. Also allowed them to play with different scenarios like magic in one world, ghosts in another, chess-themed death battles etc. All why searching for clues on some shadow organization while collecting magic feathers.
But it got way too convoluted once they started explaining why things were happening. I can't even begin to accurately explain but there were spoiler[time travelling, clones, identical twins, secret curses, magic eyeballs and causal loops.] all because of some dude thought spoiler["wish this girl didn't have to die"] too hard.
I know there's a sequel series to tsubasa but after that ending, I don't want to go back.

I love your works clamp but please workshop your ambitious ideas and also finish them? I've always wanted to read X or whatever it's called from the crossover in tsubasa but I heard it was never finished...
mfojmep

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:19 pm Reply with quote
My Top 5 CLAMP Anime:
1. Card Captor Sakura
2. xxxHolic
3. Chobits
4. Angelic Layer
5. Kobato.

Honorable mention: CLAMP in Wonderland.

My Bottom 2 CLAMP Anime (I dropped both of them):
-1: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle
-2. Magic Knight Rayearth

I didn't watch any other CLAMP animes besides these ones.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:24 am Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:

Man ain't that the truth. Cardcaptor Sakura is probably my all time favourite anime, but the manga is so rushed with so many problematic elements. It feels more like an outline for a longer story than a story unto itself. And why did they feel the need to put in a subplot about a ten year old child dating her 25+ year old teacher, and try to frame it as romantic? I don't know but I'm sure glad they removed it from the anime so I don't have to feel disgusted every time they're on screen together. That wasn't the only creepy thing in there either.

ANN's article here wrote " there's a little bit of something for everybody" with respect to CLAMP's works. Back when I was in college my friends and I always said the same thing about CLAMP....but we weren't talking about anime or manga in general, we were talking about sexual fetishes, as it seems that CLAMP caters to just about every one of them. Also, they didn't remove that subplot from the CCS anime unless you happened to watch Cardcaptors, though they might have toned it down a bit. I think CCS is rather interesting as it is essentially G-rated on the surface but manages to pack an amazing amount of kink and innuendo that touches on everything from BL to LGBT to the aforementioned student-teacher relationship at the same time.
Oggers

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:11 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I think literally everyone of their adaptations is much better than the underlying manga.

YMMV on that, since CLAMP actually has had some involvement in their adaptations; Nanase Ohkawa, who was the primary writer for Cardcaptor Sakura, was also one of the writers for the anime. They've also designed anime-only characters for their adaptations, including for Rayearth (which deviates in a few ways from the manga).

AkumaChef wrote:
Also, they didn't remove that subplot from the CCS anime unless you happened to watch Cardcaptors, though they might have toned it down a bit.

In the manga Rika and Mr. Terada were mutually involved, but in the anime Rika just has a one-sided crush on Terada. So yes, they did change it, and not just for the dub.
Kanjite Knight

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm delighted that this list was posted on the day of my birthday! TY ANN n_n

About the list itself, CCS anime is the absolute masterpiece of the joint CLAMP + Madhouse. It's such a powerful source of sakuga coming from one the last superproductions in traditional animation on TV (before the pest of the early days of digipaint overflooded for years) that not only improves the manga that adapts but also expands (do not forget that Ohkawa was deeply involved in the scrptwriting) and elevates it, especially thanks to the symphonic soundtrack. It totally deserves the top of the list, even considering its two companion movies (the latter one providing a satisfying and better conclusion than the manga and the TV series).

In the same vein, X TV would be close in the second place, showing us a compelling story and fluid animation even for the standards of the turn of millenia. Despite having a talented director, my beloved Yoshiaki Kawajiri, it also had some minor flaws, such as the way it dealt adapting the CLAMP Campus parts (although copyright issues seem to blame for it). If only we had a mixture of the spectacular artcraft of the movie (sans It messy development) and the pace of the anime series, it will totally surpass even CCS!

As final considerations, I agree that Angelic Layer anime deserves some more loving! It's another instance of a CLAMP-scripted story benefited by some pivotal changes in the story plus awesome soundtrack and animation. And never forget that is related to Chobits! Sadly, I must also agree with the majority of comments that xxxholic anime does not deserve at all to be even in the top five list. Yes, forgiving and forgetting its relation with that piece of shit called TRC, the source material is great (not as great in social comment and esotheric atmosphere as Tokyo Babylon, their best work hands off), can be enjoyed as a standalone work and has a superb soundtrack, highlighting the contributions made by Suga Shikao, but technically speaking is jarring and mediocre. Hell, it's even quoted in zillions of memes with captions as one the worst looking anime ever along with Kamichama Karin!!!

PS: nobody seems to want to remember the Clover and CLAMP detectives anime counterparts LOL! They at least have awesome songs associated (Gift by Maaya Sakamoto for example)
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Kanjite Knight wrote:

About the list itself, CCS anime is the absolute masterpiece of the joint CLAMP + Madhouse. It's such a powerful source of sakuga coming from one the last superproductions in traditional animation on TV (before the pest of the early days of digipaint overflooded for years) that not only improves the manga that adapts but also expands (do not forget that Ohkawa was deeply involved in the scrptwriting) and elevates it, especially thanks to the symphonic soundtrack. It totally deserves the top of the list, even considering its two companion movies (the latter one providing a satisfying and better conclusion than the manga and the TV series).

Totally agreed about the soundtrack. Not only is the symphonic BGM excellent, but I also think that Iwao Junko (Tomoyo) has an amazing voice as well. There are some wonderful vocal pieces in there too.

Quote:
In the same vein, X TV...... If only we had a mixture of the spectacular artcraft of the movie (sans It messy development) and the pace of the anime series, it will totally surpass even CCS!

A show with the length of X TV but with the visual quality of the X movie would be an unbelievable masterpiece. I can't imagine what the budget would be on something like that either. Oh, we can only dream.....
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 7:28 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
Also, they didn't remove that subplot from the CCS anime unless you happened to watch Cardcaptors, though they might have toned it down a bit. I think CCS is rather interesting as it is essentially G-rated on the surface but manages to pack an amazing amount of kink and innuendo that touches on everything from BL to LGBT to the aforementioned student-teacher relationship at the same time.

Yeah no I've seen Cardcaptor Sakura like 8 times. It's reduced to a one-sided crush on Rika's side, which I'm fine with. If they had something going on it's never shown or hinted at on screen.

CCS was pretty progressive in the LGBT department for its time and I still think it holds up pretty well. Doesn't mean it didn't have a few issues though. And I say that as someone who looooves it.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I liked CLAMP, but lately I haven’t really cared for their stuff. I feel like they have gone too comercial and continue dropping series to go back to their money-makers.
Anyway, I haven’t seen too many of their series in animated form, but I guess if I had to pick I’d pick Cardcaptor Sakura as my favorite.
From their mangas, I wish RG Veda had a full adaptation instead of just an OVA, as well as Tokyo Babylon.
I think my favorite series of theirs is Drug & Drop, but it seems that one has been completely abandoned by them right at the turning point.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:26 am Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:

Yeah no I've seen Cardcaptor Sakura like 8 times. It's reduced to a one-sided crush on Rika's side, which I'm fine with. If they had something going on it's never shown or hinted at on screen.

That's what I meant about them having changed it. It might have been reduced to a one-sided crush, but it's still prevalent enough to be material for people who are into that sort of thing, and it was enough of a red flag for some people since even the crush angle got edited out of Cardcaptors. I'm fine with it too, but apparently some people weren't fine with it while others were more than fine with it if you catch my drift?

Quote:
CCS was pretty progressive in the LGBT department for its time and I still think it holds up pretty well. Doesn't mean it didn't have a few issues though. And I say that as someone who looooves it.

Agreed, it's a fantastic show. My statement about the massive amount of kink just below the surface in CCS was meant to be an observation, not a criticism.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4