• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Re:Zero Better Without Subaru?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:33 am Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:
Oh you're taking that to be a to worse than he meant. He didn't say it was her fault directly, but indirectly as she is Subaru's benefactor and the one who bought him into the mansion. Because of this Emilia views Subaru's well being as her responsibility, thus she feels guilty when Subaru gets caught up in all the danger surrounding her simply for being around her. Its that anxiety that precisely led her to try and keep him out of Royal Selection as much as possible.

Despite mask she puts up Emilia's lack self-confidence just as bad as Subaru due near decade of discrimination doesn't really believe herself to be the effort he puts in for her.

I get that, but why would Puck say something like that? Why make her feel more guilty over something that is as much her fault as she thinks it is? It kind of preys on her worst insecurities, so it's weird that Puck would bring it up unless he's absolutely certain that this will mean disaster to Emilia, and it isn't like he wants her to distance herself from people since this was the whole point of getting her out of the forest.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
Iron Maw wrote:
Oh you're taking that to be a to worse than he meant. He didn't say it was her fault directly, but indirectly as she is Subaru's benefactor and the one who bought him into the mansion. Because of this Emilia views Subaru's well being as her responsibility, thus she feels guilty when Subaru gets caught up in all the danger surrounding her simply for being around her. Its that anxiety that precisely led her to try and keep him out of Royal Selection as much as possible.

Despite mask she puts up Emilia's lack self-confidence just as bad as Subaru due near decade of discrimination doesn't really believe herself to be the effort he puts in for her.

I get that, but why would Puck say something like that? Why make her feel more guilty over something that is as much her fault as she thinks it is? It kind of preys on her worst insecurities, so it's weird that Puck would bring it up unless he's absolutely certain that this will mean disaster to Emilia, and it isn't like he wants her to distance herself from people since this was the whole point of getting her out of the forest.

That's it tho.

The point isn't make her feel bad, but to make her aware of Subaru's efforts and not take them for granted. There is line between everything is fault one and having nothing to do with anything. Of course she is blameless for the incidents in the capital and later in mansion that happened at that point, but they still only occurred because she was there. Puck didn't tell her distancing herself from Subaru was the solution, just that she needed to be more mindful of him.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 8:23 am Reply with quote
First, the constant salinity due to the fact that the author constantly mocked the male MC in Okaa-san Online, now there are very "subtle" jokes about that Kizuna Bonds is ReZero without Subaru. The western community seems to have developed a very strange dislike of male protagonists. I find it rather strange in the context of both shows, since they are not only not Male power fantasy, but even openly parody such cliches.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Fluwm wrote:
Hot take: almost every Isekai story would be better off without the self-insert/audience-surrogate male leads.

Which is why I long for the days of classic shojo isekai! Or, y’know just good old fashioned fantasy.

So we have no idea how Emilia ended up as a candidate in a mansion? This OVA really didn’t tell us anything!

They weren't just good, they were consistently some of the best anime out there. Twelve Kingdoms remains one of the all-time greats, and we still fondly remember Escaflowne, InuYasha, and so on. Now the the genre is almost nothing but disposable and imminently forgettable guff.

And as to your latter point, I think it touches on the fact that are:Zero has an interesting story to tell even without the "Isekai Hero Deconstruction" thing. Which, yeah, insofar as these things go, Re:Zero's deconstruction is really solid and well-written... but it's not exactly telling us anything more than, "Hey, aren't these LN heroes actually shitty people with little to no self-awareness?" And, like... yeah? You don't need much exposure with the genre to come to that conclusion.
Anneyuno1

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:52 pm Reply with quote
The simple existence of subaru destroys the world and tension of Re:zero because it can undo any act or consequence all scene of violence only remain as shock value, reduces emilia and Rem in simple love interests when they can be better characters as demonstrated here. And of course if you ask yourself all the suffering and violence Subaru has to endure if try justify the cliches, waifus because if he didn't have to go through any of this, everyone would compare him to the smartphone guy. Emilia not have to go through the same and nobody complains about she having huge power.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3