• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Voice Actress Minori Chihara Responds to Accusations of Adultery

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:05 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Who gives a sh1t. Are the Japanese this judgmental about male voice actors' personal lives too?

Yes, they are and it often involves the same perils.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I find it pretty cool that she shops at dollar stores. That's not really something you'd ever see with 'talent' in the West.

I hope this doesn't impact Minorin's career too bad. Not sure how lenient her agency would be with stuff like this.
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I find it pretty cool that she shops at dollar stores. That's not really something you'd ever see with 'talent' in the West.

I hope this doesn't impact Minorin's career too bad. Not sure how lenient her agency would be with stuff like this.

An American celebrity shopping at a dollar store would be a bigger tabloid story than an American celebrity having an affair with someone.
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Ming Yi wrote:
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Cheaters are the worst.

But on the other hand, I don't think this is particularly relevant for this page...

Like Kougeru said, this incident involves two people who are heavily involved in the anime industry (Minori Chihara being a voice actress and performer of many anime theme songs and Kōichirō Muraya being one of the top violinists in Japan who has participated in many anime OSTs). This isn't news about anime but it's still relevant given their connections to the industry, and since the scandal has gotten out, it may affect their job in the future.

Not to mention, anime voice actors and singers are now marketed as idols whether anyone likes it or not.

If this was a rumor, I would understand it not being published, but since both have admitted to it, it should be reported.

I prefer that seiyuu are marketed as seiyuu same as singers being marketed as singers, marketing them as idols is dangerous as fans or even jealous idols will improperly hold them to idol standards and thus they'll be subjected to perils that shouldn't be a concern. The old ways were better.

They've been marketed as idols since the early 2000s though.
-SP-

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:
Having an affair is nasty business and there is no excuse. If you are famous and don't want it reported don't do it.

Exactly this, stuff like this needs to be brought to light.
dxthegreat

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Is this just a Japan thing? IIRC Tiger woods' thing was made out to be a much bigger deal than this
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Why respond at all? It's nobody's business but her own and the people involved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
#Satou

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:30 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
J0HN_L0CKE wrote:
"I understand that it may be impossible to forgive me for all the unfathomable hurt I've inflicted on others in the past and will inflict on others in the future"

Jesus christ, you'd think she committed genocide...

This is why you don't market singers and seiyuu as idols, idols often have strict rules and in rare cases even talking about the opposite sex in a romantic way is considered on par with slurs or a real crime.

But then you don't make the same amount of money...
Many girls in Japan even stop trying to be a singer to become a Seiyuu because you earn more money than been a very unknown singer that barely makes money, that is why even Idols or more young girls are trying to be a Seiyuu nowadays.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:56 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Why respond at all? It's nobody's business but her own and the people involved.

She responded because she was being accused of CURRENTLY being in an affair with a new man as recently as February. The relationship she admitted to was between 2010 and 2016 - long over. So she clearly didn't want to come out but felt she had to due to the accusations about the new man. She didn't have to respond but I think it's good that she did. If she didn't then the rumors could go wild for years.
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 1:06 am Reply with quote
2 full pages of people "not caring" about the news story.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:16 am Reply with quote
dxthegreat wrote:
Is this just a Japan thing? IIRC Tiger woods' thing was made out to be a much bigger deal than this

No, it is not just a Japan thing. Here in America, if you are a celebrity of any sort, you don't have a private life. You get caught cheating by the press, it will be in the papers and on TV, and all the social media sites. We had that sports star not too long ago who got his picture taken at a club with his hands all over a couple of women, while his wife was at home. It isn't even the press you have to worry about either, anybody with a cell phone camera can cash your pictures in, even your friends. One Olympian and a actress will filmed doing drugs by their friends, and those got posted to social media.

The Tiger Woods thing was much bigger and juicier than just having an affair.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:59 am Reply with quote
Question for the others who have posted here:

Apart from the connection of watching/purchasing anime that Minori Chihara voice acted in, have any of you attended lives by Minori Chihara, or bought her CD's or live performance videos?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:18 am Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
Question for the others who have posted here:

Apart from the connection of watching/purchasing anime that Minori Chihara voice acted in, have any of you attended lives by Minori Chihara, or bought her CD's or live performance videos?

I have some Minorin CDs that I've imported. I've also listened to some of her earlier radio programs.
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:57 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

I prefer that seiyuu are marketed as seiyuu same as singers being marketed as singers, marketing them as idols is dangerous as fans or even jealous idols will improperly hold them to idol standards and thus they'll be subjected to perils that shouldn't be a concern. The old ways were better.

There is nothing different in the 80s, in the 90s, in the 00s, and today. Paparazzi will dig news on anyone who is somewhat famous for anything juicy. if you think this is related to being an idol anywhere then you don't know what an idol is. If anything it's better now in that tabloid-level news don't get as much attention than before due to social media. The downside is also that anyone can take a picture and expose you and dark history sticks around more.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:15 pm Reply with quote
We had an internal discussion about this article and it was agreed that ANN shouldn't have published it. It was initially deemed newsworthy because of her official statement (the original allegations were ignored by ANN), but upon review, it was determined that official statements alone do not make the content newsworthy.

Unfortunately if something significant does come as a result of the allegations (for example, her losing a role or being dropped from her agency), that may be covered in the future.

The article hasn't been removed from ANN because it doesn't meet our strict requirements for removal of an article. We have however stopped promoting the article on the front page, and I'm locking this thread because I don't see the benefit of further discussion of a voice actresse's private sex-life.

Also please note that the journalists who write articles for ANN are often not involved in the decision to write or publish those articles. So please do not judge the journalist involved with this article.

If you have any comments or concerns about the editorial policy, please feel free to bring them up in the feedback forum.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2