• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Unreal Life

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 9:16 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Quote:
Hey, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater is coming back! It's a remake of THPS 1 & 2, so Activision can't screw it up too hard, right?

I hope THPS coming back succeeds, if only to convince EA they should pull the SSX franchise out of mothballs, after completely screwing it up with a joyless grimdark reboot back on the PS3.

I don’t know why they’d need the THPS 1+2 remake to succeed in order for
EA to start churning out new titles or remasters of SSX. Especially if you looked at Twitter the day the game was announced and you saw Skate 4 trending.

Plus let’s be honest with ourselves the “grim dark” aspect had no effect on SSX beyond causing the developers to drop the “Deadly Descents” subtitle which was hella stupid since the Deadly Descents referenced in the title were a huge part of the game.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 12:12 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
They will not; that tech demo is basically a "clean room version", as it's mostly just showing off graphics tech in a highly controlled environment. There are also no examples of AI, so the tech can work solely on rendering instead of anything more straining. It's basically a CG trailer with someone holding a controller.

They claimed AI of some sort was used in the demo for things like the bugs and the character putting her hand on the side of a door. Even without that, just being able to render something of such absurd levels of detail in real-time on an ordinary gaming console seems pretty impressive to me.

Actual games won't look like that anytime soon because there's a limited supply of assets at such over-the-top triangle-counts, and a full-length game using stuff like that would probably be many terabytes in size; but if their software has that much theoretical headroom, saner game-rendering tasks should be a cake walk for it. Which was likely their main overall point for the developers, anyway. Sounds like it also eliminates the need for some extra work that's normally required to be able to get decent framerates.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 12:59 am Reply with quote
Unreal 5 is showing off the lighting and their Nanite tool. If you have RE3 remake there are assets they use from Megascans and if you own Orgins or Oddysee and a 4K tv you already seen better than 1440p 30fps. The U5 engine for the good of us all, I would hope PS5 can push better power than that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2