• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 5 Worst Anime Relationships

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bennyl

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:29 pm Reply with quote
They had an opportunity to make Sakura a really tragic romance if the who is Sarada's mom story line had ended up with Sakura not being her biological daughter and she was raising Sarada as a favor to Sasuke.

Last edited by bennyl on Fri May 22, 2020 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I knew I'd forget one.

Endeavor and his wife from My Hero Academia. Then again, a few of the married ones were rather horrible at times, Bakugo's mom basically forced his dad to marry him and wasn't taking no for an answer, Endeavor though...that poor woman, no wonder she snapped. I also know there were good pairings too with the parents, like Jiro's, but we're not talking good relationships here.

From what research I've done, since I was anime only until last year, (I've caught up now), Endeavor spoiler[wanted a quirk marriage, and Rei's quirk would counter his own, leading for their children to be pretty powerful, or so he hoped. So he basically bought her from her parents when they were young and made her a breeding mare. That child was no good, back to bed he went with her, and plus was very physically and mentally abusive to her and the kids. The turning point was Todoroki's injury. Then he forced her into the mental hospital. Even her doctors say she's not ready to physically see him. However, now in the manga, he's planning to seperate himself from his wife and kids. I can't say if divorce is on the line, but it might. But he also caused the "death" of their firstborn (yes, I'm one of those who believe Dabi's a Todoroki). ]

So yeah, bad relationship there.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:27 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
Rumiko learned with Inuyasha and Kagome. They argue a lot but the series is filled with super tender moments. I was able to buy that they loved each other.♥

Quite true, but Ranma and Love Hina were comedy romances to the extreme, while Inuyasha had funny moments, it was more a drama.

haha crud...you made a good point there.

Well....

Then I will pull out Saint Tail...which was pretty light-hearted and comedic...for a love-hate ship done right. The worst thing she ever did was draw "I hate you" on his face. Laughing
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I recall Chikane getting some kind of punishment.
She chose to sacrifice herself for both Himeko and the good of the world. I mean, she was going to cease to exist for a while now.
BlaséReviewer

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:55 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Think you are misunderstanding. The first paragraph was not about Naruto per se, but rather anime's penchant for extreme forgiveness. My example was from Yuki Yuna is a Hero.

Still did Sasuke express remorse and apologize for his uncountable evil actions, and did Sasuke ask forgiveness from all those he harmed? If there was a Sasuke apology tour episode, I must have missed it.

Only in anime can you do so much evil, and then be friends or spouses with the people you have harmed.

Well he did express understanding, regret, gratefulness and apologized to his most important persons i.e. his teammates after his final confrontation with Naruto. To me they were those that mattered the most. Following these events, it is not explicitly said but what he went through and some of his actions indicate that it weighs on him.

As for your last paragraph, I could argue that some novels aren't exempt of this but that's another topic...

Last edited by BlaséReviewer on Sat May 23, 2020 5:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
I recall Chikane getting some kind of punishment.
She chose to sacrifice herself for both Himeko and the good of the world. I mean, she was going to cease to exist for a while now.

Yes but she was reborn practically after two years or so thus it didn't matter. =_= Kaishaku still rewarded her.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Y'all commenting on Naruto are, I think, missing a point. The only bad relationship in the show is the super-toxic one between Naruto and Sasume. Hinata? Sakura? They dont have relationships in the first place!

To comment on the actual list, the Love Hina example seems odd. Its a slapstick cartoon comedy show, so it seems disingenuous to criticize the relationship for having lots of cartoon slapstick in it.

And for the number 1 spot, I dunno... you could probably fill out a 10-list just with creepy master/slave relationships in anime.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
To comment on the actual list, the Love Hina example seems odd. Its a slapstick cartoon comedy show, so it seems disingenuous to criticize the relationship for having lots of cartoon slapstick in it.

It's not just the slapstick that's bad though...it's the whole thing. Too much hate and not enough love. Keitarou and Naru are rather unlikable people to start with.

Chitoge and Raku from Nisekoi have a lot of slapstick comedy too...but they are not nearly as bad a couple...in fact, they're really good. Nisekoi is Love Hina done better.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:54 am Reply with quote
@Calsolum Oreimo obviously can be problematic because of the idealization of incest, but to call it hentai just because you don’t like similar romantic tropes, I find it pretty weird. Not to mention the fact that Oreimo and Eromanga-sensei even at one time were unusually mainstream works, in which there is not even half of what you can get in a typical ecchi.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I've got another one to add that I completely forgot about:

Haruki and Kazusa from White Album 2. I'd have to go into spoilers to talk about what makes them horrible people, so this whole thing will probably be redacted:

spoiler[Haruki, Kazusa, and Setsuna make up a high school band trio. Haruki likes both of them, and both of them like Haruki, but Haruki leans slightly more towards Kazusa. All three are aware of the situation. After their first concert, Setsuna confesses to Haruki and they start dating. Setsuna then proceeds to ask Kazusa if that is okay, and she says yes. HOWEVER, she then proceeds to lock herself in her house for weeks as a way of guilt-tripping Haruki. It ends up working, and HARUKI ABANDONS SETSUNA ON HER BIRTHDAY TO HAVE SEX WITH KAZUSA. Kazusa then proceeds to move away, but not before she and Haruki guilt-trip Setsuna by claiming that she ruined their chances of going out when they liked each other "first and more", even though Haruki also liked Setsuna. Then they kiss each other in front of her and actually manage to convince Setsuna that she is the villain. And in the canon route of the VN (the anime only covers the Introductory portion), these two not-so-nice-people proceed to get married, totally deserving each other.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9