• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Zac Bertschy - In Memoriam

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clematis

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:23 am Reply with quote
I thoroughly enjoyed reading his Eizouken reviews, it was beautiful to see his writings brim with love for animation and artform in general, and it made me appreciate it all the more.
I am sad to see him gone so suddenly and much too soon.
He will be missed by many of us who were touched by his writing and the energy, insight and beauty that shined through it.
My sincere condolences to his family and friends, and also to his two furbabies, who mourn no less than his human companions.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:27 am Reply with quote
Haven't responded here in a while but this was reason to login in again ...
I had listened to about every episode of ANNCAST becoming a weekly routine being at least my second favourite podcast after Animeworldorder.
I had always respected Zac's opinions even if I didn't always agree it was always interesting to hear his opinions I can't believe such a bright mind that wasn't even that old would just suddenly be gone ...
I felt like I knew him through hundreds of episodes and reads it's really like a friend leaving forever even if he didn't know me but I'm sure that would go for thousands of people.
I regret never having asked a question for the podcast now ...
secondkas

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:10 am Reply with quote
When I read the article title, I was shocked then skimmed quickly through it, thinking there was no way in hell ANN would joke about something like this at this point in history. And when it's not, that didn't make it less bad, in fact it's so much worse.

I don't participate often in many forum threads but I have always read with fascination heated ones, and whenever I spot the Skeletor pic as I scroll down I can't help feel relieved, "Welp, here he comes now, putting all of us into our places with logic and reason."

This year is just overwhelmingly sad, like almost everyday there's always something you hear...So for everyone else who feels like they're barely hanging on, let's just bear it a little longer, even for just one more day...

Prayers and condolences to everyone who loves and is loved by Zac Bertschy. To his family, friends and ANN community, I'm deeply sorry for your loss.
Gilarack

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:13 am Reply with quote
Yesterday was the first time I saw Promare. I waited eagerly for my chance to see it after Zac praised it as his favourite thing Imaishi and has ever made. The movie did not disappoint nor did Zac with any of his recommendations thoughout the years. He greatly helped with shaping my taste in Anime and I will be forever thankful for that. Godokaspeed!
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:41 am Reply with quote
Oh, my gosh! That was shocking news to start my day, indeed. Rest in Peace, Zac. You are missed.
miken

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:39 am Reply with quote
ah, goddamn. that was sudden, he looks pretty young Sad
can't say much more, didn't really know him, just loved reading the answerman column.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:15 am Reply with quote
Haven't been here for a while but wanted to say he was one of the things that was really good about this site. When I decided to leave I was frustrated but I really think he always tried to do what was best. We all have such little time on this planet. Everyone's life is truly precious and unique and your importance in the universe cannot be overstated. There will never be another being like him again for a million years, as is the case with us all. I hope he has moved on to a better place. RIP.
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:39 am Reply with quote
I haven't been on this site for quite some time but I wanted to say my condolences to Zac and others who are very close with him. Depression is nothing more than a abyss of endless struggle affecting the human soul. Zac is one of the most harshest and dumb reviewers but sometimes he does have a point. Him and Justin were the founders of ANN and give the best insight to anime and stuff in general and this is just tough time that everyone is dealing right now with pandemic. I pray that everyone will have the strength to carry on and continue to be happy and cherish life everyday. May god give him the glory and his soul rest in peace, we love you Zac.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:20 am Reply with quote
To say I'm floored by this news is an understatement. Thank you Zac for everything you did to make ANN the #1 anime site on the Web. My deepest condolences to his family, friends, colleagues and all those who make ANN their anime home. An irreplaceable loss for fandom.

Last edited by Blood- on Sat May 23, 2020 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
braves

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:53 am Reply with quote
A day has gone by since hearing about this and it still seems surreal. Going over the obituary again, it is nicely put together. You can tell it came from folks who really cared about him.

ANNCast was formative in my early years as a fan, especially for the period when Zac and Justin were co-hosting. From my time on the forums, I’ll always remember how he had the back of his writers whenever things got heated after a review or article got posted. You couldn’t ask for a better boss than that.

Rest in peace, Zac.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:12 am Reply with quote
Really sad to hear this one. Seems so out of the blue for someone so young.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:13 am Reply with quote
Oh wow... I didn't. even hear about this. This is just... Surreal. I used to have some nice exchanges with him back when he did his livestreams. This site won't be the same without his honest commentary. RIP, man.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:34 am Reply with quote
Been almost a couple of days since I saw some posts on Twitter now, but Zac's passing still leaves me feeling empty. Didn't know him from Adam, but read plenty of what he wrote on this site over the years.

Still feels a little surreal, and passings like these (people I don't personally know, but am a fan of) don't often leave me feeling like this. Well, this is only the 2nd time I've felt this way, over someone I've never met, but only knew of them due to a fandom.

Zac played big a role in my development as an anime fan, bigger than I initially realised.

The only other passing that impacted me more than Zac's, was when Dwayne McDuffie passed. The impact of Dwayne McDuffie on me as a comic fan, and Zac's on me as an anime fan, are close to level. A realisation I've had, now that Zac is gone.

Condolences to his friends and family. Hoping that you all can help each other through this.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:07 am Reply with quote
I am devastated by this. Zac was a colossal figure in this industry and it's hard to imagine what it will look like without him. Zac's wit, enthusiasm, and passion were contagious and delightful to be a part of. I never personally met Zac and the closest I ever got was a twitter exchange but I feel like I just lost a friend. I have been following his work since high school, well over a decade and I was looking forward to following his future writings and podcasts. I am a better thinker, consumer, and person because of his influence.

As an outsider maybe I'll never understand why he's gone for the rest of my life but I want to say that his work mattered, his voice mattered and I am so sad that he is gone. Good bye Zac, you will be dearly missed.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:40 am Reply with quote
Damn. This is quite a shock.

Wasn't Zac married though? It's not mentioned in the obit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 20