• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Zac Bertschy - In Memoriam

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tojikomori

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 1:54 am Reply with quote
Whenever Zac fell in love with a new film or series, his enthusiasm for it was always so infectious: even as a reader/listener I absolutely had to experience it for myself. Even if it was something I’d never normally be interested in, it was always so much fun seeing what he saw in things.

I never met him but I’ll miss his voice: the way he treated and embraced art, the things he sought in it, his humor and the sharpness of his criticism, but also his compassion and willingness to discuss serious topics frankly.

Love and condolences to all.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:18 am Reply with quote
I knew Zac thru the tucson animation screening society and even thu we lost touch over the years. I followed his writings here on ann and the anncast. He will be missed. Rip zac
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
petran79

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Now I found out about it. So young too....

My condolences to his loved ones. This is truly the end of an era....
ElectroJane

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed reading and listening to Zac's work on this site over the years, and appreciated his honesty and passion. He's left an amazing legacy behind, though it's heartbreaking to think there won't be more.

To all his family, friends, and colleagues, I am deeply sorry for your loss, and wish you peace during this difficult time.
jasminedragon

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I've been a fan for over a decade. So sad to hear this news.
Rest in peace Zac.
Hunter Gren

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I've been reading Zac's reviews and articles for almost as long as he has been writing them, he will truly be missed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Niello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:22 am Reply with quote
RIP
mastertr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:37 am Reply with quote
Although I never got the chance to meet him, this feels like I have lost a personal friend. While I did fall out of the anime scene about 7 years ago, I never stopped reading Zac's articles and columns. He has been part of my life since I was only 13 years old. I'm now 31. And ANNCast....ANNCast provided me so much joy and relief. I have severe anxiety and whenever I would go through a bad spell, I would marathon ANNCast episodes. He and Justin just made things better. I will miss him in my life dearly. My only hope is that he now knows how loved he was, and how much of an impact he had on people all over the world. I'll never forget him and I thank him for everything he has done.
eyevocal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Last night, I opened and watched my copy of the Promare Blu-Ray. My buying and watching this is dedicated to Zac, since he was the one who convinced me to do so. Thanks again for everything, Zac; even if we did butt heads a time or two on here, there is absolutely no denying the infectious love you had for anime. If you ever encounter Satoshi Kon's spirit out there, please tell him we miss him. And please know that we miss you.
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I was just stopping by for my quarterly anime check up and was stunned to read the news about Zac. I was aware of some of the Twitter posts that he'd made in the past year or so, so I guess I have to say that while I'm shocked I'm not that surprised, if that makes any sense.

I truly want to express my condolences to those he left behind, speaking as someone who's been through something similar. It's going to be harder than hell for them to deal with the sudden passing of someone they held dear, and I hope they understand that there was nothing, absolutely nothing that they could have done to prevent this. Don't feel guilty if you're feeling angry right now. You have the right to be. But hold on to the good memories, the favorite memories, and keep them close so you remember him as a whole person, a human being, a role that I think from his writings he fully embraced.

Again, my heart goes out to all of you who are grieving.
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:37 pm Reply with quote
@sunflower Same here. Just popped in to see if there was a new ANNCast after being gone for a while. There's only one left...

This site, and by extension people like Justin, Mike Toole, and Zac, was instrumental in me becoming an anime fan in the mid-2000s. Ansewman used to be appointment reading for me: I've read so many of those articles that I've lost count long ago. ANNCast was my go-to listening on plane rides (it's been a while due to the pandemic), and I enjoyed his enthusiasm for anime and the arts in general. I'm realizing that a cornerstone of my fandom is gone, and that hits hard.

He will be missed. Condolences to everyone who knew him. Sorry for being late.
David5807

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I am so sad to read this news. Please rest in peace Zac. Thank you so-so much for everything you gave us. You will be missed.
mbanu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I heard someone talking about "wheelhouses" recently, and thought about adding some things to Zac's ANN encyclopedia entry, but realized I'd run out of things to say; I suppose with an encyclopedia it's important not to exaggerate. One season moves into the next, but people still remember. Smile
charpkun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:14 am Reply with quote
Over a year later, rereading the memoriam posts, it still hurts.

I know his is probably in a better place considering he missed a lot of shit in the interim. But better days are ahead and I think about him when I watch the final Eva movie and feel sad he never got to see it.

I miss him. Anncast without him just leaves a hole in my listening schedule. Thanks for everything.
mbanu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:30 am Reply with quote
Happy birthday, Zac!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 20 of 20