• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Union: 60% of Actors, Voice Actors Earn Half or Less Income in May

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:29 pm Reply with quote
are they not getting unemployment?
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:44 pm Reply with quote
@Kougeru I wish we could have an in-house expert on Japanese unemployment compensation law to address that question. But then I'd be paying way more than $30 a year for my subscription. Wink
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
are they not getting unemployment?

It depends on the rules around unemployment. I don’t know about Japan, but freelancers in the US have only very recently become eligible for unemployment, due to some of the legislation passed in the wake of the current crisis, so it doesn’t seem outside the realm of possibility that freelancers in Japan wouldn’t be eligible for unemployment.

———

This seems like incentive enough for VAs, their agencies, and studios to try and figure out a way for them to work from home, as their counterparts in the US have done. Certainly there will be challenges, both technical and cultural, and those actors having lost much or all of their income would probably need help to make the investments needed, but as it stands, all of them will have to figure out how to get it done or go out of business. Just assuming everything will go back to normal and this situation will never happen again seems unwise.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I know being a seiyuu is a low paying job already but now it's /even more/. I hope they are able to make it through....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1