• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Revolutionary Girl Utena Home Release Details

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Psajdak

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if new Utena anime will ever happen.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:
I wonder if new Utena anime will ever happen.

Of all the series I think could use remakes/sequels, Utena is emphatically not on that list.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:42 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Of all the series I think could use remakes/sequels, Utena is emphatically not on that list.

Why is it that when it comes to remakes, or reboots, sequels, etc, people always think that those should only happen only if they are needed because original is outdated, or something like that.

How about that it would simply be nice to have more Utena anime, only this time with current animation, and new direction?
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:

Why is it that when it comes to remakes, or reboots, sequels, etc, people always think that those should only happen only if they are needed because original is outdated, or something like that.

How about that it would simply be nice to have more Utena anime, only this time with current animation, and new direction?

Utena's animation and direction is stellar, even by modern standards. Trying to "update" that stuff would be like how Sailor Moon Crystal didn't channel more of Ikuko Itoh's iconic designs from the original Sailor Moon anime.

The fact is, there simply hasn't been any kind of need for a second pass at Utena. They got it right the first time.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:37 pm Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
Utena's animation and direction is stellar, even by modern standards. Trying to "update" that stuff would be like how Sailor Moon Crystal didn't channel more of Ikuko Itoh's iconic designs from the original Sailor Moon anime.

The fact is, there simply hasn't been any kind of need for a second pass at Utena. They got it right the first time.
Somehow I really doubt that remakes are done because of "NEED", and not because source materials still hold potential to be animated in some other way.

Remakes aren't meant to replace originals, but be their own thing.

As for Sailor Moon Crystal, I only saw first few episodes, and their main problem was simply that they tried to be so close to manga which just doesn't work that well as anime, unless that anime just takes characters, setting, and only loosely follows manga story.
90s anime also had tons of fillers that helped develop characters...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1