• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fate/Zero

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:28 pm Reply with quote
And so the pieces fall into place. This set of episodes should be the setup for the dark times that lead into Fate Stay Night.

This should be fun to see how Mr. Martin reacts to stuff in the next few episodes.
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:14 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
John the Dark Lord wrote:

I wonder if there is a more explanation why maotu and not edelfelt; though it sounds like the the matou asked first in this timeline.

It's canon that Sakura ends up with the Edelfelts in the Apocrypha timeline (even forms a pro-wrestling tag-team with Luvia), so Zouken does seem to be main factor in Sakura being handed to the Matous.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:13 am Reply with quote
I certainly can understand the issue with the transition between the previous episodes into Kiritsugu's stuff but I do admit i like this exploration of circumstances.

It makes Kiritsugu more than just a soulless killer to me and turns him into a troubled and nuanced man. One who constantly has to weigh his emotions to the cold logic of the world.

And trust me when i say this will be a big thing later on.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think I was told at one point that a couple of the characters who appear in the scene where Church and Mages Association members are killing the transformed villagers come from one of the other Fate franchise titles, but I had trouble finding current reference to that. (If someone knows, please comment in the response thread.)
Fire Guy is Cornelius Alba, from Kara no Kyoukai. He's an anime-only cameo.

In more important news, funny pictures: https://i.imgur.com/ZcilOl.jpg, https://i.imgur.com/K9uvu.jpg, https://i.imgur.com/RyzHul.jpg
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:14 am Reply with quote
The character making a cameo is Cornelius Alba, from the fifth Kara no Kyoukai book/movie.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:04 pm Reply with quote
The character making a cameo is Cornelius Alba, from the fifth Kara no Kyoukai book/movie.

Ah, I remember him now. Thanks for pointing that out; it's been a couple of years since I last saw KnK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:43 am Reply with quote
I remember really not being a fan of these two flashback episodes. They're important for understanding Kiritsugu's character and motivations, but I disliked how hard they went on the Urobutcher melodrama (which, in large enough doses, risks morphing into comedy). The placement, as noted in the review, was also highly questionable and lacked any kind of transition (a big pet peeve of mine) which killed the momentum of the series for me during the original simulcast. I think I actually dropped the show here because of that and finished it in one go after the series was over.

Alba's cameo was neat. It's always fun when they throw in references to the wider Nasuverse.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:11 am Reply with quote
Haha hard disagree this is one of the weaker parts of the show. I think it’s easily some of the best content in the show for sure. But then again I love Kiritsugu and especially here I thought Matthew Mercer absolutely shone in his performance. So if you weren’t already super interested or invested in Kiritsugu I can understand thinking these episodes weren’t as good as the more ensemble ones.
But I loved them, honestly in some ways the show peaked with them. There are still some fantastic moments to go but these were such emotional and personal episodes.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:14 pm Reply with quote
KefkaesqueXIII wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:

I wonder if there is a more explanation why maotu and not edelfelt; though it sounds like the the matou asked first in this timeline.

It's canon that Sakura ends up with the Edelfelts in the Apocrypha timeline (even forms a pro-wrestling tag-team with Luvia), so Zouken does seem to be main factor in Sakura being handed to the Matous.

thinking about that always makes me a smile, instead of being adopted by the matous sakura gets adopted into a rich, happy family.

doubleO7 wrote:
I remember really not being a fan of these two flashback episodes. They're important for understanding Kiritsugu's character and motivations, but I disliked how hard they went on the Urobutcher melodrama (which, in large enough doses, risks morphing into comedy). The placement, as noted in the review, was also highly questionable and lacked any kind of transition (a big pet peeve of mine) which killed the momentum of the series for me during the original simulcast. I think I actually dropped the show here because of that and finished it in one go after the series was over.

to be fair, it was not urobushi's fault, that part in the novel was in the opening chapters , it was the anime that put them into a weird place. in the novel instead it explains why kiritsugu is so weird to saber.
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Fate/Zero is the only Fate series I've actually liked. It's just gone downhill from there, though Babylon had the potential if there were seasons for the arcs building up to it.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:36 pm Reply with quote
The final two episodes of Fate Zero comprise the weakest part of the series for me. Unlike the rest of the season, I don't think it achieved standing on its own without reading additional material. Some of the VERY important plot points lore-wise do not make sense if you only have the series to go by, which is why it distracted me enough to the point that the emotional beats of certain characters fell flat to me (Irisviel in particular).

It still is my favorite season of Fate ever, which speaks volumes about how entertaining it was and how little I feel about the rest, despite the BEAUTIFUL animation by Ufotable.

I have to say I'm enjoying Heaven's Feel quite a bit and it's the most similar to Zero imo.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:19 am Reply with quote
Ah man, the ending to this series always gets me. Kirei's scenes here are probably the best we'll ever get from him too, as far as animated material goes given how focus was shifted away from him in the Heaven's Feel movies (understandably so given the format).

Any opinions on the english dub overall? I absolutely adore it, buuuut I assume given the total lack of commentary or any thought on it past the initial criticisms that it never particularly grew on you?
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:20 am Reply with quote
And so this story comes to an end, beginning a story that spawned a billion dollar franchise

I must admit, having seen Fate Zero first and then getting into the rest of Fate, I find it amusing that not many other fate works come close to the same thematic content, use of character and mythology, and satisfaction as Fate Zero

I will say that Fate Zero is ultimately a Tragedy in the Greek sense: good men dooming themselves and others through their good intentions and evil men prevailing though their self interest. That alone makes this series stand up as one of the best of the franchise alongside El Melloi Case Files and arguably Heaven's Feel.

Regardless, enough long winded expounding. The point I want to make is that Fate Zero is a very good show that illustrates the potential of the franchise.

What do other people think of both Zero and the rest of the franchise
Key

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:29 am Reply with quote
Stelman257 wrote:
Any opinions on the english dub overall? I absolutely adore it, buuuut I assume given the total lack of commentary or any thought on it past the initial criticisms that it never particularly grew on you?

The English dub does stabilize as the series progresses, to the point that I completely forgot to comment on it at the end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Stelman257 wrote:

The English dub does stabilize as the series progresses, to the point that I completely forgot to comment on it at the end.

cant be surprised by that. most of the fsn dub cast werent in zero! specifically they changed saber's VA basically three times if your counting the UBW movie. that pretty much rubbed people the wrong way at the beginning!

but yea F/Z got way too many tragic outcomes! wont be surprised if nasu attempt to put in this part of the story inyo grand order considering that the lostbelts story is supposed to be a dimension where previous losers from previous grail wars. hell at this point, i wouuldnt be surprised at all if nasu does take a page from absolute demonic front and give some people from apocrypha and zero the rin/ishtar treatment in the future. the concept of having aoi being posessed by athena and that uber prick shinji being the host for posseidon would be super ironic towards the point of making my skin crawl!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4