• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kill la Kill

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't believe it is available on any legal streaming platform, so that is probably not going to happen.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Finale sans OVA:
I feelings on Kill la Kill can be summed like this: I saw it when it was first aired and that was enough for me.

I love Gurren Lagann even with its "This is most definitely not a happy ending for our characters, here let us jump ahead decades to show how" ending but Kill la Kill is a special kind of mixed bag. What is most curious of all, what ultimately frustrated me about the series was how the unbreakable, unbeatable villains ultimately had feet of clay.

No, it wasn't even that good as what happened to the villains was sacrifice [involuntary], sacrifice [voluntary]... this was Nui and it made my eyes pop as it happened because it was so out of character for the character; TVtropes calls this one moment of following Ragyo "Undying loyalty" so I don't know if someone was trying to ironic or just silly... and suicide.
What's the point of all the set up if you don't have any follow through?
It felt to me that it was supposed to be sister against sister... against sister... when Nui took out Ragyo herself rather than die for her but it got changed as Satsuki got too popular. I guess the OVA changed one of these and a manga adaption changed the other but it doesn't help the main series any.

Because there's "fascism bad... except it's not. But it's bad, really..." alternating themes. It's almost as if this was an Anime Original work that had to change its focus as a character got more popular than they figured she would but that's not likely. Regardless of why, the series really lost me when it insists I accept the brutal fascist villains as heroes because The Writers Said So. "It's development."
[remembers student hung in chains at the start]

No... it's not.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
No, it wasn't even that good as what happened to the villains was sacrifice [involuntary], sacrifice [voluntary]... this was Nui and it made my eyes pop as it happened because it was so out of character for the character; TVtropes calls this one moment of following Ragyo "Undying loyalty" so I don't know if someone was trying to ironic or just silly... and suicide.
It felt to me that it was supposed to be sister against sister... against sister... when Nui took out Ragyo herself rather than die for her but it got changed as Satsuki got too popular. I guess the OVA changed one of these and a manga adaption changed the other but it doesn't help the main series any.

Well, for what it's worth, some Kill la Kill fans have put together a very elaborate theory that the Mako who appears at the end of Episode 24 is actually Nui in disguise: https://nyotaku.tumblr.com/post/94684359061/the-nui-is-mako-at-the-end-theory-explained (For a while, some of them speculated that this was going to be a twist at the end of the OVA, possibly even leading into a continuation of the series.) I'm not really convinced that their theory is correct (after all, the OVA would have been a perfect place to reveal it), but it does seem like it'd solve some of your problems with the ending if it turned out to be true. Laughing
trilaan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:24 am Reply with quote
I think a question mark literally appeared above my head when I read the blurb for the finale review on the main page. Reading it in context didn't help.
3rdImpakt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:22 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:

Well, for what it's worth, some Kill la Kill fans have put together a very elaborate theory that the Mako who appears at the end of Episode 24 is actually Nui in disguise: https://nyotaku.tumblr.com/post/94684359061/the-nui-is-mako-at-the-end-theory-explained (For a while, some of them speculated that this was going to be a twist at the end of the OVA, possibly even leading into a continuation of the series.) I'm not really convinced that their theory is correct (after all, the OVA would have been a perfect place to reveal it), but it does seem like it'd solve some of your problems with the ending if it turned out to be true. Laughing

Wow, this is very interesting.... Especially since Nui is my favourite character. I had no idea!

Funilly enough, I just played the game Kill la Kill:If (not a good game) and they actually have a scene where Nui is impersonating Mako! https://youtu.be/g7QNIYjlSek it's around the 50 minute mark (sorry it's English).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2