• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation Fire Suspect Arrested After 10 Months

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:03 am Reply with quote
@Cam0
Quote:
The idea would be to try and prevent these "evil SOBs" from ever going down that path in the first place.

I agree. A lot more should be done to prevent this sort of thing ever happening. However, that is before the fact. What we have here is a question of what to do with someone after they have crossed the line.

Keep in mind that (at least here in the US) you can't just throw someone in a locked ward and keep them there for thinking bad thoughts. Even if they are delusional or actively psychotic, there are limits if they are not an active threat. You can't even force them to take medication in some cases. I suspect that before the act this person was probably seen as an angry man with obsessions about the publisher.
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:10 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

While you, seemingly, do not like the death penalty, calling them judicial killings is insulting. Criminals kill people, the legal system executes people.

Yes, technically, they are interchangeable. Nonetheless, calling them killings implies evil intent.

The system inevitably executes innocent people and thus guarantees the freedom of the true culprits, all to satisfy bloodlust. It is even less defensible especially in legal systems known for systemic abuse and improper procedure like in Japan. Executing innocents is evil.

Alan45 wrote:

He probably is also mentally ill, but that no longer matters.

It absolutely matters, because you set the legal precedent that the legally insane should be treated just like the sane. That is a horrific idea and would actually stigmatize the mentally ill since we now would consider mental health to be an irrelevant factor to how they are treated and judged. You don't get to give special exemptions based on how much you dislike the individual.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:20 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Here's my problem with dismissing the arsonist as a monster and his act as evil: while emotionally satisfying on a certain level, using that characterization isn't helpful in trying to prevent acts like this in the future.

If you frame this simply in the terms of evil and monsters, then the only defense you can offer is prayer. Let's pray that something like this doesn't happen again. For a non-religious person like myself, that's not a particularly satisfying response.

I have to disagree here. Classifying the arsonist as evil and working to prevent acts like this in the future are not mutually exclusive. What label we slap on the perpetrator has little to do with what other things we can do to address problems like this from happening again.

Is the arsonist evil? In my opinion yes.
Does that mean that Japan shouldn't re-evaluate its mental health treatment? Absolutely not. Does that mean that fire codes shouldn't be improved? Absolutely not. Does that mean that businesses shouldn't have response plans in place for what to do if they are threatened by a lunatic/evil murderer/burglar/disgruntled employee/etc? Again, absolutely not.

Quote:
I frame these incidents in the context of mental health issues, not good and evil. That way, you can actually try to formulate a defense that is based on research, medicine and science. Our understanding of human behaviour and mental health is unfortunately still pretty primitive.

I totally agree with all of that, except for the notion that calling the person evil somehow precludes or excludes mental health treatment.

Quote:
However, you can imagine that as time goes by, as knowledge accumulates, as we move forward by trial and error, we may eventually get to a point where we can possibly identify those who might commit acts like this ahead of time and in doing so, perhaps be able to provide some kind of intervention/treatment that would preclude a person from wanting to do such a thing.

That to me seems like a more fruitful approach rather than just dismissing something as "evil."

Ah, yes, the notion of thoughtcrime. How very progressive. Go watch Psycho-Pass.
The problem here is false-positives. What happens when you or one of your loved ones is flagged by the system as a crime-waiting-to-happen and you're dragged off for "treatment" or incarceration even though you haven't actually done anything yet. As we all know there is no such thing as an infallible predictor of future behavior. Capital punishment is bad enough (as BrainBlow stated it necessarily involves killing innocents) and that's involving cases after-the-fact. Imagine how much worse the false positives would be when there's no actual evidence of anything because the crime hasn't actually been committed yet. And that's to say nothing about what might happen if people in power decide to manipulate the system for their own personal ends, like eliminating political opponents or business rivals.....
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:23 am Reply with quote
All I can and will say is that wishing the perp's death puts us at the same level as him. Life in prison might seem like a waste of Japan's money, but it'd be better than stooping down to his level and making him pay for what he did with his life.

An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:57 am Reply with quote
It will be interesting to see if he gets the death penalty. That's not something they throw around lightly.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Why is the government determining where the donations go? Shouldn't KyoAni be doing that? People didn't donate to the government.

Japan has fewer mechanisms for making donations to private companies while avoiding tax liability. One way around these restrictions was to take advantage of a controversial Japanese law that allows monies to be sent tax-free to local municipalities.

See
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2019/08/6e90c4d0b3eb-govt-mulls-tax-breaks-for-donations-to-kyoto-animation.html
and
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/2017/03/11/editorials/review-of-the/

From the Kyodo News article:
Quote:
The state is planning to allow donations to the Kyoto-based animation producer to be fully treated as deductible expenses by having them delivered through local governments, they said.

It is unusual for the government to consider giving preferential tax treatment to support a specific company. The initiative was proposed by a group of lawmakers late last month and Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga pledged to deal with the issue after receiving their suggestions.

Financial aid to a specific company by individuals is not eligible for tax breaks. Meanwhile, all donations either from companies or individuals to local municipalities can be treated as deductible expenses.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:57 pm Reply with quote
#810704 wrote:
Am I the only one whose blood boils at the very idea that this guy's STILL able to get medical attention after the murders/damage he committed?

It is ironic that Japan spent a lot of money to keep this man alive, when there's a good chance that they're going to put him to death.

Obviously having a trial is important, and will help bring closure. Just Ironic...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_Japan
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3