• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Freddie Mercury's 'The Great Pretender' Song Will Be Great Pretender Anime's Theme Song

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FiendHunter

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:42 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Who's this Freddie Mercury guy? The Great Pretender was first performed by The Platters in 1955 with Tony Williams as the lead vocalist. One of the classics of the "doo-wop" era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEzfhclKO8Q

But that's not the version they're using, so... they're giving proper credit.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:48 pm Reply with quote
FrodoGate222 wrote:
Although I wonder if the NA release of this anime will keep the opening song? I know Speed Grapher and Eden of the East couldn't keep their opening songs for the NA release due to licensing issues.

FUNi's Eden release actually did have Oasis' Falling Down but only for the first episode on the discs.
nDroae

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:51 pm Reply with quote
This article opens by calling it "the late Queen singer Freddie Mercury's cover of The Platters song 'The Great Pretender'," I think that's adequate credit.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Richmyster84 wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
Who's this Freddie Mercury guy? The Great Pretender was first performed by The Platters in 1955 with Tony Williams as the lead vocalist. One of the classics of the "doo-wop" era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEzfhclKO8Q

How do you not know who Freddie Mercury is? Lead singer of the legendary band Queen. Created quite possibly the greatest song ever written "Bohemian Rhapsody".

sarcasm.

FrodoGate222 wrote:
Although I wonder if the NA release of this anime will keep the opening song? I know Speed Grapher and Eden of the East couldn't keep their opening songs for the NA release due to licensing issues.

It wouldn't be a problem for the Netflix broadcast. They have obviously paid the writers, or the estate of the writers, their license fee for the broadcast rights.

The problem with the other shows dropping it in the releases would be the extra licensing fees for distribution. Which can be so costly that they drop the pop song.
...as for distribution.... it's Netflix. They rarely release anything but the absolutely most popular shows. They want you to only have the choice to stream it. If you own it, you don't need to subscribe anymore.

---------------------------------------------------------

BTW

Anyone else read that synopsis and think "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, The Animation"?
without the rom-com side story...

...or Bedtime Story, The Animation (for yuna49 Wink )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nDroae

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Funny thing about Netflix, at times they're not willing to pony up for licensing fees... at the worst of times.
https://www.thewrap.com/why-netflix-cut-fly-me-to-the-moon-neon-genesis-evangelion-credits-outro-licensing-fees/

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-06-28/fan-made-chrome-extension-restores-fly-me-to-the-moon-evangelion-ending-theme/.148349 (Problem with this is the show also used the song's tune in the BGM, and Netflix took that out for the US)

But hey, it's better to get a scrubbed version of a show years or decades down the road than not be able to watch it at all because of licensed music, as IIRC has happened to some classic American TV shows.
FrodoGate222

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:54 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
FrodoGate222 wrote:

FUNi's Eden release actually did have Oasis' Falling Down but only for the first episode on the discs.

I still find that bizarre that they got the song for only one episode. It feels weird.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:48 pm Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:

But hey, it's better to get a scrubbed version of a show years or decades down the road than not be able to watch it at all because of licensed music, as IIRC has happened to some classic American TV shows.

Don't even talk to me about Daria. soundtrack massacre.

And yeah, music license problems is pretty much the reason you've never seen Murphy Brown in syndication or streaming. Every episode opened with a different MoTown song.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2