• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Paranoia Agent

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Quote:
What is the most important thing to remember about Paranoia Agent is that it is a mystery story where the answers to the mysteries are not as important as the questions they raise.
Minus: Anthology format makes for inconsistent storytelling

There's the caveat, isn't it? It's almost like calling it an anthology series is a backhanded way to ignore what happened to the show: Satoshi Kon got bored with his own premise.... otherwise it's an "anthology" series where 9 episodes are part of the same story.

I don't hate the series but I also wouldn't rate Paranoia Agent as high as any of Kon's movies, you know, works with plots, characters and actual endings that work start to finish.

And then there's that ending. I just love a review that comes out and says "Ignore the ending, it's a great series if you ignore the ending" without coming out and say there's a problem with an ending.

Paranoia Agent is an experimental anime with some really great moments but ultimately lives or dies on how much crap the viewer is willing to take. The ultimate fate of Lil Slugger... is that one of the things that doesn't matter?... was fine but the ultimate fate of Tokyo on the other hand and WHY is a little more obtuse.

I actually really love the ending, ambiguity and all! The "inconsistency" I mentioned has to do with some of the more isolated stories that aren't all as good as the series' best episodes. I don't think there's a straight up bad story in the bunch, though.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Boy, it sure would be nice if I could see this damn thing in streaming-forsaken Scandinavia!
Alestal

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 8:40 am Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
I actually really love the ending, ambiguity and all! The "inconsistency" I mentioned has to do with some of the more isolated stories that aren't all as good as the series' best episodes. I don't think there's a straight up bad story in the bunch, though.

Agreed. The ending was perfect (but maybe not at a first glance). It alludes to a continuous loop where humanity learns nothing from the experience. The entire series is an examination of the various psychiatric and sociological journeys humans experience. It usually takes multiple viewings and some in-depth examination to understand its nuisances.

In the aftermath of the pandemic, it’s interesting for me to look back at shows like this and Welcome to the NHK. These shows really make me appreciate anime as a true art form that causes people to think deeply and question. Good art is not always explicit in nature, and I wish more creators pushed boundaries these days instead of rehashing the same 10 plot lines.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2