• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2020 Manga Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Cosmo Familia was the biggest manga I was looking forward to this season, and I'll still see how the first two volumes fare. But the thing of it having a "stuffed animal apocalypse" is giving me Magical Girl Spec Ops Asuka vibes............REALLY BAD ones (and that manga in my eyes was a disgrace to the magical girl genre, with its anime making me realize Sailor Moon Crystal's first two seasons aren't possibly the worst magical girl anime ever made). Anime cry

Still nothing else interests me from the newer choices. What does Faye man by her review of Sorcerous Stabber Orphen: The Reckless Journey though? I've never seen that description for a review (although I've seen ones like "Nope/Just Stop" which pretty much mean 0 stars or stars in negative numbers, which I wish this website and other websites dished out).

And Caste Haven...no. Evil or Very Mad
EndlessEmpty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
What does Faye man by her review of Sorcerous Stabber Orphen: The Reckless Journey though? I've never seen that description for a review (although I've seen ones like "Nope/Just Stop" which pretty much mean 0 stars or stars in negative numbers, which I wish this website and other websites dished out).

The idea was I feel the same way about this volume as I did the last Orphen manga I had to review--think I rated it like 2 or something, for the Spring 2019 guide. I was really tired and, in trying to write about the new Orphen manga, I found I was saying the exact same things I said about the last Orphen manga, so I thought, welp, might as well make it a thing.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I see.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:28 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
I think I connected more with Ten Count so it was interesting to see them mentioned in the same breath.

They're technically, or maybe academically, in the same subgenre of romance, with major power imbalances and relationships that could be construed as unhealthy. Ten Count is an example of it being done well - even though it's not my favorite romance subgenre, I became invested in the relationship. Caste Heaven, and last year's release of Yarichin Bitch Club, both do it...less well, putting the toxicity on full display and almost reveling in it. It's fine if that's what someone likes to read, but it definitely decreases the appeal for readers who aren't fans of the subgenre.

Psycho 101 wrote:
For me at school it was the high fantasy books. Dragonlance. Valdemar. Redwall.

I was Forgotten Realms rather than Dragonlance, but yes, those were all good friends, too. I especially loved the Tarma and Kethry books. Basically I spent (and still spend!) most of my time reading...

But yeah, HEA all the way. Unless it's for work, I actively avoid sad or non-HEA stories in my reading, with a few YA exceptions.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:00 am Reply with quote
Huh, My Dress-Up Darling sounds pretty good! If my "currently reading" list clears up some later on (especially in the rom-com department), I might give it a try.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:07 am Reply with quote
I’ve read a substantial number of the titles in this guide and My Dress-Up Darling was my favorite one of those that I’ve read. Not to say there weren’t other good ones, but it really turned into something special by the end.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Having read the second volume of Star Crossed, I think it really gets into its groove with that volume and if you like what’s on offer in the first you’ll enjoy the second even moreso. It really finds its footing with that one.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
we don't get a lot female centric isekai these days, either.

There's actually quite a lot of them (and an increasing number of them are getting translated), but they're more the modern transported/reincarnated into a game/book rather than the classic Fushigi Yugi/Inuyasha style like Mysteria Romantic appears to be.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:26 am Reply with quote
I listened to the audio drama of Caste Heaven because a voice actor I liked was in it, so it was easy to guess what the reaction would be, but I'd love to see a review from someone who's actually into it, just to mix things up. Or a reviewer who's really into Gigant, which I definitely have no interest in.

Dress-up Darling sounds kinda nice, but those nails freak me out.

My copy of Eclair Blanche is STILL trapped in the covid postal system (even though other manga I bought have arrived). I slightly regret buying an anthology with a story removed, but also the loss of that particular story isn't really a loss.

Haven't picked up Rose Garden yet (only read the sample), but I will.
msgundam2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:00 am Reply with quote
I got Gigant and I'm a Behemoth, an S-ranked Monster, but Mistaken for a Cat, I Live as an Elf Girl's Pet.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely adore Yuzu The Pet Vet so far! It's one of the best kids manga to come out in recent years! I wish this had come out when I was ten years old, because I would have eaten it up as a kid!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4