• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Actions Speak Louder than Words #BlackLivesMatter

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:51 am Reply with quote
ANN stick to anime, I am in agreement about not coming here to read your political views.

George Floyd's death was uncalled for and the actions taken by the police officers in question are reprehensible. I don't see anyone on either side of the political Isle in disagreement with this. However.. destruction of property, looting, and arson are NEVER justified for ANY reason. Less we not forget Violence, and outright murder.. Did you forget about David Dorn? He was an off duty police officer and black, and he was shot and killed over some TV's and left to die in the street.

I refuse to support an organization that supports segregation of society, this is NOT progress.

So the real question is how many more people need to die before the Justice for George Narrative gets tossed out? You'll never see that headline on ANN.. it doesn't fit the narrative.
beholder242

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:15 am Reply with quote
So is this going to become a weekly thing, after the death tolls in Chicago of black-on-black crime are tallied up? Or do black lives only matter when a white person, a cop, or even better, a white cop kills a black man?

Note, I find what happened to George Floyd just as reprehensible as the rest of you. It's a rare occasion where the majority of those on the political left and right agree that what happened was wrong. People are upset that the cop who killed Floyd and the 3 others weren't arrested immediately. We don't operate on mob justice in this country, although it seems like many wish that we did. The police unions also contributed to slowing the actions, but in the end, the actions taken were correct and justified.

At the same time, the rioting and looting, especially being perpetrated against black business owners, is equally reprehensible and totally counter-productive to the argument. Do you seriously think that if George Floyd knew what was happening, that he'd be pleased about the violence and destruction in his name? Do you seriously think that looting, rioting, destroying churches, black-owned businesses, killing cops (including black cops) and fellow protesters alike is really going to come off as sympathetic to the greater public?

The whole "Black Lives Matter" argument would have had a lot more credibility and gained a lot more sympathy and support had the protests stayed peaceful, which also means shunning and calling out the agitators, or even handing them over to the police, not joining into the chaos they wished to sow.
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:20 am Reply with quote
A couple of things:

First, for anyone focusing on the rioting and the looting instead of the reasons behind the protesting, please reflect on this short speech by a prominent black female activist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkGC1jdEtKc. I won't sum it up because she explains herself infinitely better than I would, and deserves to be listened to infinitely more than I do.

Second, for anyone questioning the stance of defunding/abolishing police, as others have stated, groups have been developing plans on what this actually looks like for a while. A group i recently learned about is MPD150, so you may want to check this out: https://www.mpd150.com/. Here's an excerpt from their FAQ:

"Police abolition work is not about snapping our fingers and magically defunding every department in the world instantly. Rather, we’re talking about a gradual process of strategically reallocating resources, funding, and responsibility away from police and toward community-based models of safety, support, and prevention.

The people who respond to crises in our community should be the people who are best-equipped to deal with those crises. Rather than strangers armed with guns, who very likely do not live in the neighborhoods they’re patrolling, we want to create space for more mental health service providers, social workers, victim/survivor advocates, religious leaders, neighbors, healers, and friends– all of the people who really make up the fabric of a community– to look out for one another."

And for any #AllLivesMatter folks, black people would love to not have to remind us that Black Lives Matter. It would mean that the socio-economic concept of race that us white people have forced upon them over the centuries no longer has micro and macro impacts on their day to day life. It would mean that they would no longer be over-policed and profiled based on their skin. It would mean that their humanity is recognized as equal to every of all skin colors. Not talking about racism or saying "I don't see skin color" doesn't get us to that point; it hides the problem as much as not talking about your Stage 4 cancer hides the problem.

Racism isn't about intent, but result, and the result of not talking about racism makes white people not have to feel uncomfortable, but leaves black and brown people in the same status quo of oppression. Talking about racism isn't racist; not talking about racism is. You really want to get the the point of not talking about racism, cut off your uncle/coworker/friend from saying their racist jokes or "observations" every single time. Donate to organizations like Black Lives Matter or the Southern Poverty Law Center (to name only two). Support the protests. Do something to get us to the point where we can finally stop talking about race.
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:23 am Reply with quote
beholder242 wrote:
So is this going to become a weekly thing, after the death tolls in Chicago of black-on-black crime are tallied up? Or do black lives only matter when a white person, a cop, or even better, a white cop kills a black man?

Note, I find what happened to George Floyd just as reprehensible as the rest of you. It's a rare occasion where the majority of those on the political left and right agree that what happened was wrong. People are upset that the cop who killed Floyd and the 3 others weren't arrested immediately. We don't operate on mob justice in this country, although it seems like many wish that we did. The police unions also contributed to slowing the actions, but in the end, the actions taken were correct and justified.

At the same time, the rioting and looting, especially being perpetrated against black business owners, is equally reprehensible and totally counter-productive to the argument. Do you seriously think that if George Floyd knew what was happening, that he'd be pleased about the violence and destruction in his name? Do you seriously think that looting, rioting, destroying churches, black-owned businesses, killing cops (including black cops) and fellow protesters alike is really going to come off as sympathetic to the greater public?

The whole "Black Lives Matter" argument would have had a lot more credibility and gained a lot more sympathy and support had the protests stayed peaceful, which also means shunning and calling out the agitators, or even handing them over to the police, not joining into the chaos they wished to sow.

I've never heard a single white person talk about white-on-white crime, but we will prattle on endlessly about black-on-black crime. Two spoilers: most crime is intra-racial crime and white people don't care about black-on-black crime except as an excuse to not listen to black people.
beholder242

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:28 am Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:

Black people cannot choose not to see how law enforcement treats them.

But all of us, regardless of race, can influence how law enforcement treats us by respecting law enforcement and their authority, regardless of who is in the right or wrong in the situation. One of the main reasons why these police shooting happen is that people want to argue with police and escalate the situation rather than just going with the flow and doing what is requested of them....for the vast majority of situations.

TrailOfDead wrote:
George Floyd's skin color is why he was killed.

How do you know this? To make such a definitive statement, you must have specific knowledge of the mindset of the white cop. Did a witness to the incident report that the cop was using racist, demeaning language? Are you psychic and somehow can read the mind of the cop and know what he was thinking at the time? Or are you just projecting what you WANT the reason to be in order to justify and excuse the resulting chaos?

Bottom line is that this is your opinion, not a statement of irrefutable fact. Not yet, anyway. Perhaps something will be revealed during the trial which will support this. But until then, as I said, this is just opinion.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:34 am Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
People calling for the abolition of police do have plans on how to deal with society’s needs, including replacing cops with social workers [...].
This cannot be emphasized enough.....

Don't you already have social workers? Police has a completely different function.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:41 am Reply with quote
WizardOfOss wrote:
#AllLivesMatter

Of course the sentence is true. But the All Lives Matter hashtag was created to discredit Black Lives Matter and outright mislead people about what BLM means.

BLM doesn't mean "Black Lives Matter More," it doesn't mean "Other lives don't matter." It means, "Black Lives Matter." That's all. If you're against that phrase, it means you don't think Black Lives Matter. Another way to look at it, is "Black Lives Matter Too."

The reason for the need for this reminder is the systemic undervaluing of Black Lives by the police and politicians. Black people are treated worse (if you need help understanding that, you can look it up, there is a ton of middle of the road non-political research that backs it up.)

Think of it this way, if your brother died years ago, and your friend's brother died yesterday, you would go to the memorial and give your support to the family of the disceased. You wouldn't try to discredit their loss and grief by claiming that your brother's life was important too and that they shouldn't hold a memorial just for their family member.

Some of the people who use #ALM get it. They're using it intentionally to falsely discredit #BLM. The others use it ignorantly.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:47 am Reply with quote
Narutofreak1412 wrote:
So was this intentionally done by the policeman because he was racist or was it a mistake and he didn't realize that the man was dying by the way he fixated him on the floor?

If it was the first than the policeman should be immediately suspended and face a heavy sentence for murder. If it was the second, of course he has to be charged for killing a person too, but then it wouldn't really matter what skin color the person had. An unnecessary death is always a tragedy.

There's nothing to indicate it was the former. Unfortunately, some people will view any kind of situation like that to be about race even when there's nothing to substantiate it.

jl07045 wrote:
Don't you already have social workers? Police has a completely different function.

Correct, America has social workers already. And I also don't see what exactly a social worker is going to do during a robbery or a shooting. If you give them a gun and the authority to arrest people then you've made them a police officer in all but name only at that point.

My brother is the biggest anti-law enforcement guy around, but when his truck was being broken into last year he still immediately called the cops for help while he just watched from the window. I find everyone's all for dismantling a system they don't like until they need help from it.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:59 am Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
ANN stick to anime, I am in agreement about not coming here to read your political views.
When did "I value black lives" become a political statement? When did encouraging people to raise funds for people who are disenfranchised become a political view? It's called human decency, not polics.

Quote:
David Dorn...

David Dorn's death was a tragedy. But it was due to the circumstances he was in at the time. David Dorn was killed by criminals, George Floyd and many, many, many more, were killed by the police... by the very people who are supposed to protect and serve citizens.

Protesting David Dorn's death is a protest against criminals... it won't achieve anything. The criminals aren't going to wake up one day and say, "oh, people hate us, we should stop looting."

The goal of protesting is to address problems with the government and it's institutions, to make them "wake up" and make change.

The protests aren't about George Floyd. George Floyd was a catalyst. The protests are about repeated deaths of black people at police hands. The protests are abour repeated harassment of black people by police. The protests are about a statistical truth that black people regularly are treated worse by the police and the courts than white people in the very same situation.

David Dorn was a retired police officer, you can be certain that the police force will investigate his killing, and they if they catch the criminals who killed him, the law will treat them very harshly. Cops who murder black people usually either get away with it, or get a slap on the wrist. Maybe Floyd's killers will have the book thrown out of them, but that's only because of the video. Had there been no video, they would still be working.

Last edited by Tempest on Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Sir Winston C'thulhu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:00 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Some of the people who use #ALM get it. They're using it intentionally to falsely discredit #BLM. The others use it ignorantly.

You wouldn't believe how many neo-hippie, barefooted instagram granola girls and yogis have been making this same ignorant mistake, then have the gall to be offended when they're called out on it. And just from my personal feed, no one who called them out was being rude or anything either - just rationally explaining it the same way you just did.

And then they start railing the same conspiratorial bullshit like some of the posters in here did as well about BLM engaging in negative tactics, or Antifa, or....whatever. (Seriously, why haven't any mods done something about that!?)

Nothing exposes wypipo privileges quite like being told "the solar system doesn't revolve around you dear." Or in this case, "black people can die too you know." Which is....dishearteningly horrible to even have to ponder needing to say it to someone.

But, you know. It's all too political! Stick to muh animuh Tempest! Anime doesn't have black people on it! Or black people working on it! It's all that #FAKENEWSMEDIA and those funny people crossing the border to blame!
beholder242

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:02 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
nobahn wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
People calling for the abolition of police do have plans on how to deal with society’s needs, including replacing cops with social workers [...].

I'm sorry, but replacing police with social workers is laughable at best, and downright disastrous at worst.

If someone who's loaded up on meth, carrying a deadly weapon of some kind, breaks into your house and is threatening you and/or your family, who would you rather have show up to save you: an armed police officer who has sworn to put their life on the line to protect yours, or a social worker with a clipboard, ball-point pen and a pile of forms to fill out in triplicate?
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:05 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
My brother is the biggest anti-law enforcement guy around, but when his truck was being broken into last year he still immediately called the cops for help while he just watched from the window. I find everyone's all for dismantling a system they don't like until they need help from it.

And there are plenty of people who, with well-founded skepticism of the police, would rather call their cousin with a gun to help than a stranger cop with a gun that is half-likely to shoot them despite them being the one to call it in. Just try to listen to a myriad of PoC experiences, and you will find that for some people, their survival depends on not calling the cops unless absolutely necessary.

MPD150 is an example of what dismantling the police would actually look like (ie. a gradual transition).
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:28 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
nobahn wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

Considering that it's impossible to contact my supposed social worker by phone considering it only leads to machine that asks me to push numbers and is missing a way to access any sort of operator, I sincerely doubt a police force of social workers will be any better than the one they have now. I had to reschedule meetings for about 4 months before I could resolve the issue, and the twist is that I got a letter in the mail saying that the issue was resolved without a single meeting.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:37 am Reply with quote
Jeff Bauersfeld wrote:
MPD150 is an example of what dismantling the police would actually look like (ie. a gradual transition).

Just read it. It's not how it would look like, it's how they imagine it would happen if everything were to go their way. Which it won't, because there's some spectacular lack of understanding of criminology and social psychology in general.

Last edited by jl07045 on Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
El Hermano

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:51 am Reply with quote
Jeff Bauersfeld wrote:
And there are plenty of people who, with well-founded skepticism of the police, would rather call their cousin with a gun to help than a stranger cop with a gun that is half-likely to shoot them despite them being the one to call it in. Just try to listen to a myriad of PoC experiences, and you will find that for some people, their survival depends on not calling the cops unless absolutely necessary.

To clarify, I live in Texas where there's almost as many Hispanic people as there are white people and most of the local police in my community are Hispanic. I am also Hispanic, for the record.

And vigilantism is illegal. Said person's cousin would more than likely go to jail on manslaughter if he shot and killed the guy robbing him depending on which state they lived in and the situation.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 13