• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 5th Tenchi Muyo! OVA Season Casts Yoshiya Naruke, Hana Takeda, Kei Shindou

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I grew up watching the original OVAs (I still remember the first Pioneer 'P-Anime' line releases) and I don't know if I can do these new OVAs. I watched the first and I was both still fairly lost despite knowing most of the various Tenchi canons and honestly was cringing really hard at what the narrative has become. I felt like I was watching a strange Sci-Fi soap opera.

Also now that I've long read through the "Onsen" doujinshis Kajishima has written I understand why he doesn't "end" the whole thing. The Onsen doujins explain plenty for what his purpose is with Tenchi.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Alea Varta looks like someone hit the random character create button in an MMORPG and went with it. 2020 winner for worst hair, easily.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Further proof that they are at least bringing in all of the characters from his GXP related Paradise War novel(s)... but does that really mean this is going to adapt it? Makes me wonder.

I still haven't read it. It's set after the GXP anime, and because I still haven't completely finished those novels (because of gaps in the translation- which have finally been filled- and I am now going through the whole thing in order again) I decided not to read that one yet.

Paradise War doesn't have the greatest reputation- As I understand it, it's the most generic thing Kajashima's produced, further diluting his harem trope in minutiae . The new guy is the hapless harem protagonist who has to, unbeknownst to him, judge the winner of a proxy "war." I forget how, if I ever knew. The girls all represent different groups in the conflict. Seina and one of his harem quartets of luck amplifying girls (I think the cabbit girls*), all disguised, are overseers. They are trapped on a tropical island on Earth. Hilarity and fan service ensues From what I know- it wouldn't take long to adapt, but it has nothing to do with the core cast's story.
But if they were to adapt Paradise War- just call it Paradise War!

I guess they could just be making a cameo. More "you know them from the books" fan service.

Novel details:
*The Cabbit Girls. Remember in GXP when Seina rescued Fuku and ends up with 3 more "failed" clones? spoiler[Whole other story there. They all end up with the "astrals"/souls of AI who have been killed or lost- well, except Fuku- who has the astral but no memories of a dead serial killer- not only of people but occasionally of entire cultures (yet another story- in short, she gave up her ways after instantly falling in love with Seina's "pureness"- and was put to death- Washu used her as Fuku's core because the dedication to Seina would be preserved). The four are Fuku, D from Dual: Parallel Trouble Adventures, Miki, a reincarnated version of Mitsuki Sanada from Dual, and Kirche, an AI and morning news presenter who fell instantly in love with Seina's uploaded data, and was inhabiting NB (who, remember, except for some rare instances when Airi was remote controlling it, never acted like the pervert in the anime).
EVERY girl in every quartet that negates Seina's bad luck and can create good luck, represents a seeded and repeated character type of the Dual Harem.
(remember that episode of Star Trek TNG that explained an ancient race seeded the humanoid figure in the universe? Well GXP's did that one better and their ancient civilization, Dual's, apparently seeded dere tropes)
Seina is the direct reincarnation of Kazuki.
D the genius kuudere/dandere (Neju, D in GXP is technically the same D)
Mitsuki Sanada the responsible tsundere (Kiriko, GXP Miki)
Mitsuki Rara the deredere with a dark/other side (Ryoko Balta, Fuku?),
and tease(dere) Yayoi Schwael (Amane, Kirche?), ]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1